Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

So I had my first book signing today(which I thought was going to be like Spinal Tap and have no one show up...with Paul Schafer screaming "Kick my Ass!") it was actually a blast!...sold some books and loved talking to people..it was humbling...really great

but anywho, in light of Brett's earlier post regarding Cardinal fans and there sense of...ahem...superiority... I had to share this... 

there was a Cardinals' fan there...who I have seen at this establishment before...and the owner tries to encourage him to buy my book, which you know... like, would be beneath him...but then we started talking and our conversation went kind of like this...

HIM: (while glancing at my book)- "Yeah, I think the Cubs' are going to get better, they seem to be doing some things"

ME:(in full diplomatic mode, as I am now promoting all the time): "Well, I think they are finally getting their farm system going in a good direction"

HIM: " I think all teams are trying to do that now"....(well like duh?)

ME: "Yeah, all teams are trying to get good affordable talent now"

HIM: "Well teams are finally starting to copy what the Cardinals have been doing for years, everyone wants to do what the Cardinals do"

Yes...the Cardinals are the only team that has done this in baseball in the last 20 years! All of the other teams just had to wait and see what the only smart team in baseball does...he then told me how the Cardinals will have Jake Peavy and Alexei Ramirez by next week, bought his 1985 Will McGee jersey(he put it on his account) and then he left 

I felt honored to be in the presence of a baseball genius

@BBCG104Reasons

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

He's several decades too late, but he does have a point.  The Cardinals, way back in their Branch Rickey era, did originate the modern farm system and turn it into a very potent player development tool.  

Maybe he is a genuinely smart guy who just happened be frozen in an ice cave for the past seventy years or so and just recently thawed out.  Next time you see him you should offer him a slushee... I bet he runs away screaming and doesn't sleep for a week.

#3 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

yeah...don't think that's what he meant....

hey, I give the Cards all the credit in the world...but there are other organizations who do it pretty well...

I always rooted for them in the 80s because I was an NL only guy then...plus...the speed!

although I did see Vince Coleman round third....realize the ball was caught in the OF...then run back through the middle of the infield...he ran over the mound...

not very smart

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

although I did see Vince Coleman round third....realize the ball was caught in the OF...then run back through the middle of the infield...he ran over the mound...

not very smart

I don't know if he survived the transition to Theo/Jed, but he was the Cubs base running instructor in the minors during the Hendry era.  That quote explains a LOT about the Cubs woes on the basepaths.

#5 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

I did not know you were having a book signing. that is cool.

#6 IntheDay

IntheDay

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:Huh?
  • Facebook:What?

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

Oswego Chris

Just got done with your book.  Great read! I haven't really been a vested Cub fan for years (although

I am wearing my Cubs-Sandberg 23 t-shirt to bed).  However, after reading your book and understanding better why my hometown team will always be the 'loveable losers', I may just start following them again (more than just checking the box scores).

FYI, my transformation began during the summer of '68, just in time for the "Crash and Burn" of

'69. Never got to be a ballboy though!  Very cool.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write your book.  Really enjoyed it.

#7 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the kind words about the book...tell you Cubs' friends!

Seriously, i am humbled by the fact that people are enjoying it...so thankful to BN

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

Wow, they are stupid.  That is just sad.

#9 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

...Yes...the Cardinals are the only team that has done this in baseball in the last 20 years! All of the other teams just had to wait and see what the only smart team in baseball does...he then told me how the Cardinals will have Jake Peavy and Alexei Ramirez by next week, bought his 1985 Will McGee jersey(he put it on his account) and then he left 

I felt honored to be in the presence of a baseball genius

@BBCG104Reasons

Did anyone bother to tell him it was a fake?

#10 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Fake?

#11 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Fake?

Look at the name.  It was Willie McGee not Will.  Maybe I should have added this :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).