5 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

So, I am looking at our future bats(Almora, Soler, Baez, Bryant) and it seems like we have a lot of right handed batters, along with Castro and Wellington Castillo. The only "core" player we really have that is a left handed bat is Rizzo. 

Obviously some of the prospects may not work out, but thats 6 right handed bats in 8 spots. Maybe you can count Alcantra(Switch hitter)/Watkins at 2nd, with Baez at 3rd and Bryant in LF. 

If he doesn't demand a lot of money, how would Brian McCann fit in with the Cubs? He will only be 30 years old at the start of next season and could add some thump to the lineup. Keep Castillo as a very nice backup and work him in a few days, keeping McCann fresh since he has had some injuries in the past. Get him signed to a 4 year deal or so, he could contribute to the team when we should be ready to compete, as well as a good catcher for young pitchers.

#2 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm a huge Brian McCann fan and there is so many moves that cubs could make that could actually make the cubs a decent team next year.  I am concerned that the 4 yr rumor will soon go to 5 or 6 if he keeps hitting like he has been, not to mention the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers all need a catcher like him.  If the cubs trade off Soriano, Garza, Dejesus or Schierholtz.  The cubs could seriously be in the market for another catcher,  2 outfielders, and a pitcher.  We have to see what they get back in the Garza deal but i'm pretty excited to see what this front office does with a lot of money to play with.

#3 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

As good as McCann is i think the price will get to be too high. Id like the Cubs to sign Saltalamccia (might be spelled wrong). Just go to a straight platoon with him facing RHP and Castillo facing LHP.

258/324/460 for Salty in his career vs RHP 

297/371/398 for Welly in his career vs LHP

As weak as C is that is a pretty productive platoon

#4 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

I wouldn't mind Salty joining the Cubs, provided that the price is right.  Don't want the Cubs to overpay for him.

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

Signing Saltalamacchia is like only thing me and Kygavin agree on. He'll cost less than McCann, and possibly one less year on a contract than McCann. He has like a massive .200+ ISO, but also a 30% K rate... so he's definitely a different type of player than Castillo, but no other catcher in our system will be ready anytime soon. Also, you have to mention the Red Sox connection, no matter how redundant.

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

Signing Saltalamacchia is like only thing me and Kygavin agree on. He'll cost less than McCann, and possibly one less year on a contract than McCann. He has like a massive .200+ ISO, but also a 30% K rate... so he's definitely a different type of player than Castillo, but no other catcher in our system will be ready anytime soon. Also, you have to mention the Red Sox connection, no matter how redundant.

The Red Sox connection is a good point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).