Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

I was listening to WGN Sports Central, with Jim Memolo and Glen Kozlowski, when Jim made what I thought was one of the best statements about PED's that I have ever heard:

A caller asked "why are the guys who used amphetamines from the 70's and 80's not vilified like the steroid/HGH guys"

I thought his response was great...he said "using amphetamines is like using make-up, where HGH and steroids are like plastic surgery"

simple, but made so much sense to me...

I will continue to use it on any occasions when the topic comes up...

giving him full credit of course.

#2 Twinkletoez

Twinkletoez

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTinley Park

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

This is true but they are both performance, or in this case appearance, enhancers.   

#3 Jed Jam Band

Jed Jam Band

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Twitter:@DavidVocals91
  • LocationMunster, IN (Home)/Bloomington, IN (College)

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

It's not so much that I think these guys are great dudes who have done nothing wrong.  I just will continue to contend that vilifying steroids and the guys who use them in this way will not help the sport, sports culture, or society really at all.  My point has been and will continue to be that MLB can do so much good here.  They have a real opportunity to educate, to help young athletes, to really give something back.  Instead, they want to be petty about this whole ordeal.  It just saddens me.  Yes, punishments still have to happen, but this won't work.  We know it won't, because why else would guys continue to use?  The threat of suspension doesn't get to them.  Hell, expulsion from the game really doesn't even seem serious to most of these guys.  

I would love to do an essay here on the power of shame, but this would take too much time and nobody would read it.  But I'd still love to discuss it further.

#4 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I was listening to WGN Sports Central, with Jim Memolo and Glen Kozlowski, when Jim made what I thought was one of the best statements about PED's that I have ever heard:

A caller asked "why are the guys who used amphetamines from the 70's and 80's not vilified like the steroid/HGH guys"

I thought his response was great...he said "using amphetamines is like using make-up, where HGH and steroids are like plastic surgery"

So wait... Do you think (1) that all baseball players should be able to take methamphetamine, or (2) that beauty-pageant contestants should be prohibited from wearing makeup?

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Coffee is a stimulant, you wanna ban coffee? You can't compare the two, no matter how inviting.

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

I like that Random...I do....

#7 Alex S.

Alex S.

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

So wait... Do you think (1) that all baseball players should be able to take methamphetamine, or (2) that beauty-pageant contestants should be prohibited from wearing makeup?

Err...Greenies are not Methamphetamine, they're just Amphetamine.  There is a difference (although slight) between the two.

#8 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Err...Greenies are not Methamphetamine, they're just Amphetamine.  There is a difference (although slight) between the two.

While I'm not a Pharm.D., this is a subject about which I have some knowledge... so if you have a point, don't be afraid to make it technical terms... but do make the point.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Having been prescribed amphetamines for my ADD (adderall) and knowing people who are addicted to meth, I can say there is a huge difference between the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).