22 replies to this topic

#1 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm not usually one for trade ideas, but since the Yankees are shopping  J. R. Murphy, a 22 year old catcher who I've liked for a while in exchange  for a bat I thought Soriano  would be a fit. 

Now the question's are do you guys think that the Yankees could get a better bat than Sori  since they are selling high on Murphy and do you think the  Cubs could do better than   J. R. Murphy for Sori+11 million?

The  bottom line is: do you guys think that both teams would do this deal?

#2 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Murphy is currently mashing at AAA and was almost featured on this week's  Fringe Five.

#3 Jed Jam Band

Jed Jam Band

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Twitter:@DavidVocals91
  • LocationMunster, IN (Home)/Bloomington, IN (College)

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

If Sori packaged together with someone else could bring back better prospects, I'm sure we all agree that would be the best option.  That being said, if the Yankees or any other team were willing to trade a guy like Murphy for Soriano straight up, I would love that.

#4 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

From a quick look at his stats, I like J.R. Murphy a lot. He's consistently been young for his league and has always posted respectable avg/obp/slg/ and bb/k ratio. I don't know much about him and I haven't read more than one scouting report, but I mean...ya if its an option I see the cubs wanting to pull the trigger. I do not, however, see the Yankees doing this trade. 

Unless there are some serious flaws that I am unaware of, it seems like that would be a heck of a trade for the Cubs and just an okay trade for the Yankees. A 22 year old catcher in AAA with an .856 OPS is pretty valuable. 

I like Soriano. I think he is productive, a positive influence, and just a good all around player; but, for one reason or another it seems that the rest of the league does not think so. 

#5 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'd be happy with that trade.  A good young catcher for Soriano,  his AAA average look a little inflated right now but the walks and strike out percentage are strong.

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

I would feel good getting him.  Just curious if the Yanks would even go for that idea.

#7 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Sorry! Bad baseball jargon again!

#8 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Now what got me encouraged is that some Yankee fans actually seem okay with a Sori for Murphy trade as long as we kicked in ALL of  the salary.

Do you think the FO would be okay with kicking in all of Sori's salary? More importantly would all the salary nudge the  Yanks front office into accepting the deal?

#9 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

From a quick look at his stats, I like J.R. Murphy a lot. He's consistently been young for his league and has always posted respectable avg/obp/slg/ and bb/k ratio. I don't know much about him and I haven't read more than one scouting report, but I mean...ya if its an option I see the cubs wanting to pull the trigger. I do not, however, see the Yankees doing this trade. 

Unless there are some serious flaws that I am unaware of, it seems like that would be a heck of a trade for the Cubs and just an okay trade for the Yankees. A 22 year old catcher in AAA with an .856 OPS is pretty valuable. 

I like Soriano. I think he is productive, a positive influence, and just a good all around player; but, for one reason or another it seems that the rest of the league does not think so. 

That's what I was thinking as well, but  strangely  groups of   Yanks fans seem to be fine with such a deal.

#10 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

So a top 10 prospect is too much for Sori?

#11 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

I don't know guys maybe those crazy Yanks fans have give me false hope.

#12 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Stankees have a surplus at catcher with Romine and Sanchez.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is dealt for a right handed slugger especially if A-Roid gets suspended

#13 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Speaking of which, does this newest incident close the book on the chances of ARod getting into the HoF? 

#14 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Speaking of which, does this newest incident close the book on the chances of ARod getting into the HoF? 

His book has been closed for a while now.

#15 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

By the way if Sori is carted off to Texas this goes out the window.

(Since it is a 2 for 4 deal.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).