8 replies to this topic

#1 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hi,

On the Cub website they listed the top five offseason deals the Cubs have made throughout their history.  As an aside, I was a young man but I was in Wrigley Field the first time Fergie ever pitched there as a Cub.

I wanted to draw your attention to something all five deals have in common.  In every case the Cubs traded for major league players , not minor league prospects.  Sure we got Rick Sutcliffe and Aramis Ramirez late in the year to help put us in the playoffs.  When they traded for Ferguson Jenkins it was early in the season, it was just a trade that turned out to work well for the team.

As I read about all the rumors about trading Matt Garza, I am still choking on one issue.  Why do we have to trade for kids that are in the minor leagues that we hope might blossom into decent players?  We have not done that before, at least to the degree that it makes the Cubs website as one of the top five offseason trades.

When we traded for Ramirez he was a young player with a MLB history of being a good hitter and somewhat erratic fielder, and like Castro, he seemed to lose concentration from time to time.  There was no doubt however that he was a RBI waiting to happen with men on base and he proved that point.

Why the hell are we trading proven MLB players for kids, apparently all the time?  Isn't there another arbitration eligible player like Ramirez was that we could trade for? 

I'm fully aware that Travis Wood came in a trade for Sean Marshall.  Theo and company have done a good job.  Even with that, when it comes to a top quality pitcher like Garza, shouldn't they start looking for a Ramirez type player first that has proven himself to be a major league player, and if there is none available then start looking for top minor league talent that is still young?

Just venting....

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

At least in the case of the Ramirez deal, the Cubs were in contention and need a starting caliber 3B, and the Pirates were the Pirates.  It doesn't make sense to trade one of your MLB players for a guy like Garza if you're contending.  You'd much rather trade somebody who is a couple years from contributing for somebody who can help your team into the playoffs now.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

What Mittens said. The teams that have the Ramirez-type talent aren't the ones who want the Garza type talent. The Ramirez trade should be a cautionary tale for every Cubs fan with respect to Castro.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Also, the time for us to acquire MLB talent for our prospects is coming.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

Ramirez was quite the gamble then, if I remember correctly.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

He was a massive defensive liability, which is why he was such a "steal" (considering Kenny Lofton was also included).  In 2001 he committed 25 errors 19 in 2002, and 33 errors in 2003 (but only 10 with the Cubs).  The front office saw it was a mechanical issue (I think with his footwork) and I'll give Dusty and Co. credit: they were able to fix it.  He made only 10 errors in 2004 and never made more than 18 as a Cub.

#7 Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

With the trade for ARam, the Cubs were the buyers, not the sellers.  We gave the Pirates minor league proepects in return for veteran players.  This year, with Garza, its the reverse.  Its rare these days for a mid-season deal to go down were one estabished veteran player is traded for another.

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I want Olt to be a cornerstone for us, or at least a solid stopgap until Bryant comes.

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

I'd say the latter, and that he's used as a piece used to get a good starter once we're in contention around 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).