#1 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

Junior Lake and his tall stance reminds me of Arismendy Alcantara (and even though he is 5'11", he stands tall in the batter's box). These guys are both fast and have questionable defensive skills (Lake more-so than Alcantara).

The real question is concerning their long term plans with the Cubs, trade bait or controllable utility guys?

#2 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Both are quick twitch guys who have the potential to be great.  Alcantara increase in walks this year I think gives him a better chance of succeeding because his slumps will be offset some by the walks.  Lake I feel like will be hot or cold so I don't quite see him as a starter yet.  However, if he can play all 3 outfield positions and 3rd he will be a great supersub who can still get a decent amount at bats and will make an injury a lot easier to handle.  Right now, I'll got with long term plan for Alcantara and controllable utility guy for Lake.  

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Lake's a good guy to callup at this time of the year because guys are starting to get banged up and they'll need rest.  I'd hope he's picked as the RH platoon with 'Holtz (if he's not dealt) going into next season over Crappelt.

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'd reverse the defenses.  Lake is better than Alcantara.

And I think the Cubs tipped their hand with Alcantara.  If they saw him as trade bait they'd have left him at short.  Moving him to second makes me think he is now seen as the second baseman of the future.

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

I think they'll both grow into their power around the same time. We may have to take a different approach to the running game in the future, because (other than Rizzo) we're going to be FAST. Alcantara, Almora, Amaya, Andreoli, Baez, DeVoss, Ha (smart), Lake, Saunders, Soler, and Szczur have all shown the ability to hit for average as well as steal bases effectively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).