20 replies to this topic

#1 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:59 AM

Hi,

I want to start with a question.  Last night I saw the replay of the rundown on Friday night when Lake was signaling the runner to go to second base.  I saw the replay only once but it looked like when Lake finally broke toward the plate that he could out run the 3B easily and the catcher was straddling the base line.  Lake tried tor run around him and was tagged out.  If that was the case, I beleive had he run straight into the catcher, who did not have the ball, he would have scored because the catcher would have been called for interference.

Did any of you see the play as I did?  If this is correct, then the coaches have to do their job.

Second item is there is an article on CSN that now might be Lake's time.  What a terrible thing to do to a kid.  Damn sportswriters do anything to sell papers and create some terribly unrealistic expectations.

While I agree with Sveum that we want to see how Lake hits against right handers, to me the real test is when he gets into a slump like Castro did for a few months earlier in the season. How he deals with that and adjusts will show us a lot about what we have here.

I was impressed with him in ST.  There were times he looked a bit confused but he is playing with a bit more confidence.  At the same time, it also looks like he feels that he must be spectacular to stay in the big leagues.  He does not have to steal every time he is on base.  I will be glad when he settles down.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

#2 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

I would be shocked if he is running on his own.  I think last night was a botched hit and run (he or Barney missed a sign IMO) and from all accounts he did the right thing on the contact play in the first game.  Maybe he could have tried for interference, but I'm not sure that's coach-able.  That seems to me to be an instinctual play that either happens or doesn't because of the split second nature that the decision is made.

I'm also not worried about the slide at all.  He tried his best to show the arm and then take it away to avoid the tag.  I think it looked much worse on TV than it actually was.

#3 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

I would be shocked if he is running on his own.  I think last night was a botched hit and run (he or Barney missed a sign IMO) and from all accounts he did the right thing on the contact play in the first game.  Maybe he could have tried for interference, but I'm not sure that's coach-able.  That seems to me to be an instinctual play that either happens or doesn't because of the split second nature that the decision is made.

I'm also not worried about the slide at all.  He tried his best to show the arm and then take it away to avoid the tag.  I think it looked much worse on TV than it actually was.

Hi,

If I am right about the possibility for interference, it is indeed coachable, I have taught it.  In this case you have tools I did not have.  You take him and show him a slow motion video and then explain it to him.  At the same time the other side of the coin is how you teach the rundown play to your infielders.  They have to know to get out of the way because they are targets for a smart baserunner with nothing to lose.

regards,

#4 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

If I am right about the possibility for interference, it is indeed coachable, I have taught it.  In this case you have tools I did not have.  You take him and show him a slow motion video and then explain it to him.  At the same time the other side of the coin is how you teach the rundown play to your infielders.  They have to know to get out of the way because they are targets for a smart baserunner with nothing to lose.

regards,

I'm not saying that you can't coach it, and if you coach it enough it might become ingrained into the thought process.  You know as well as I do that in any split second decision you don't think; you just react and that reaction is based on things learned in the past.  I guess my point is if this was taught from A to ML then yes, but if it's just a passing topic then not so much.

#5 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi WV,

You are absolutely right, it is a tough thing to coach.  For those who may be coaching today, one of the things you do is get your infielders to occasionally stand in the way when you are practicing rundown plays just for the purpose you mentioned.  If you can get the runner to start looking for that opportunity, you might have it carry over to a game.

Honestly, I coached a lot of years and I suspect only once or twice did I see a runner ever pull it off.  As I used to tell the kids, that could mean the difference in the game.

regards,

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

I wish I saw it.  The one time where I didn't watch the game!

#7 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Obstruction, not interference. He was so far from the plate and out of the baseline that Rosario didn't need to do anything. He would surely not have been in the way if Lake was running in the baseline. Either way, Rosario would have had the ball by the time Lake got to him.

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Sounds like a rookie mistake then.

#9 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Obstruction, not interference. He was so far from the plate and out of the baseline that Rosario didn't need to do anything. He would surely not have been in the way if Lake was running in the baseline. Either way, Rosario would have had the ball by the time Lake got to him.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.  I was hoping someone got to watch the play.  As I said originally, I saw it once.  It is one of those situations that may happen once in a player's career.

regards,

#10 CubFan_VA

CubFan_VA

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

You have to understand what "Base Line" means.  It is the straight line from where a runner is in relationship to the next base he is trying to get to.  So, if he rounded hard around third and was 10-12 feet into foul territory (which is typical), the catcher standing on the foul line would not constitute obstruction.  

But, I didn't see the play, so the above might be moot. 

#11 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

You have to understand what "Base Line" means.  It is the straight line from where a runner is in relationship to the next base he is trying to get to.  So, if he rounded hard around third and was 10-12 feet into foul territory (which is typical), the catcher standing on the foul line would not constitute obstruction.  

Hi,

What I thought I saw was the catcher straddling the base line.  I was not ready to bet on it which is why I asked the question.

Thanks,

#12 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

From what I am hearing, sounds more like Lake took the turn too wide, so it wouldn't be an obstruction.  Sounds like chiro is correct.

#13 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Here are my thoughts, I can take the bad for now as long as the good keeps going.  He's young, playing out of position, in the majors for the fist time.  Maybe we should cut the kid a little slack.  I mean it's almost as bad as when "fans" were complaining about Sori not running out fly ball outs when he was playing on 1 leg.

If Lake can ever harness his natural talents we could have a monster on our team.

#14 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

For the record, I <3 Lake, always have. It was just a bad break that the ball went straight the pitcher. Sometimes the contact play does work, sometimes it doesn't. Lake did everything right on that play; there's no way he could have gotten out of the rundown. If he can limit the strikeouts and hit breaking balls well, there's no reason he can't be a good regular with a couple of all-star seasons.

#15 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

He wasn't rounding the bag. He was on third and Sappelt hit a grounder to the pitcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).