Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Yesterday the Chicago Cubs lost to the Colorado Rockies 4-3. However, the game saw nice performances from Rizzo and Castro. Further, both performances were very Rizzo-like and Castro-like respectively. 

Castro 4-5 1 2B

Rizzo 2-4 1BB 1HR

So,

1) Whose game was better overall? In other words, if you had to pick one MVP from last night, who is it?

2) Also, whose performance was more meaningful to the player's season? 

1) I'd say that Rizzo's performance was slightly better than Castro's. Rizzo got on base 3 times and hit a HR which is supperficially good looking, yet obviously still great for the OBP/SLG/OPS. However, a 4-hit night is still quite an achievement and very helpful towards winning. WINNER: Rizzo

2) Both players had a great game last night and have been doing well recently. However, only one player has had serious struggles this year, and his name is Castro. Separately, most know that besides his "baseball card stats" Rizzo has had himself a nice year, increased walks, maintained K rate, ~800 OPS. Castro on the other hand, has...well had his struggles. A game like last night, in my mind, has capped off a nice hot streak for Castro lately. ANSWER Castro, because he is doing things he hasn't done this year (first 4 hit game all year).

#2 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

It's a good question, cause by OPS, they're really close:

1. Rizzo (1.850)

2. Castro (1.800)

But by wOBA it goes:

1. Castro (.788)

2. Rizzo (.714)

Take your pick!

#3 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

For just yesterday, I'll go with Castro.  Rizzo had RBI chances that he didn't cash in on, whereas Castro set the table for the rest of the team at a .800 clip.  So for me Castro did what was asked of him better than Rizzo based on their place in the batting order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).