12 replies to this topic

#1 rockoutjerseys

rockoutjerseys

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

id like this trade it would really benefit both sides as much as id hate to see sori go ;)

Soriano for Phil Hughes and J.R. Murphy murphy personally i think is the key piece to this trade hes been doing we;; in the farm and hughes well he could be either back end of the rotation or put him in the bullpen as a long reliever

#2 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@xruben31
  • Facebook:Xavier Ruben Rice
  • LocationStreator, Illinois

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

I could understand if you said we were going to flip Hughes, because he is a rental. But Murphy would be a nice return for Sori.

#3 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

I like Murphy, but is it realistic to think that the Yanks would be willing to give him to us for someone like Sori?

#4 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

Great minds think alike! I started a topic about a Sori+ cash -Murphy straight up trade the other day.( Sori+no salary for Hughes and Murphy would be a big overpay IMO)

Here it is:
http://www.bleachern...dea/#entry50632

A Sori for Murphy trade is plausible providing that A-rod is suspended and we kick in as much salary as possible. Otherwise it would be a little bit of an overpay on the Yankees part.

Anyway Murphy is a stud and I am kind of glad I'm not the only one that wants him.

On a side note Murphy is being shopped so this is not just a random trade idea.

#5 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

I like Murphy, but is it realistic to think that the Yanks would be willing to give him to us for someone like Sori?

He is firmly being shopped for a bat like Sori. This might be our only chance to get him.

#6 Jed Jam Band

Jed Jam Band

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Twitter:@DavidVocals91
  • LocationMunster, IN (Home)/Bloomington, IN (College)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

Wait...we could pick up Murhpy?  Oh hell, I would be ecstatic!

#7 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

As would I.  If LaHair is correct, then we should push for him being the return from the Yanks.  I would be really psyched if that happened.

#8 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

What kind of catcher is Murphy supposed to be?

#9 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

What kind of catcher is Murphy supposed to be?

I haven't heard anything that says that he is the second coming of Johnny Bench.  But he seems to be getting comparisons to Brandon Inge.  That isn't bad.

#10 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

3. JR “Murph” Murphy: 21 years old (to start 2013), 5-foot-11, 195-pounds, swings right handed. He was signed for his bat with the caveat in mind that if he sticks at catcher it will be a major bonus. After a trial in the outfield, Murphy has not only stuck at catcher but has actually also become a plus defender. He’s now a good receiver, leader, game-caller, and has a good arm. By good I mean better than average. He is an excellent hitter to go along with this. His patience fits well with the Yankees philosophy of seeing a lot of pitches. His average in 2012 (.248) left a lot to be desired, but most scouts feel that his approach and the type of contact he is making is not reflected by his average. He managed to hit nine homeruns last season in High-A and Double-A. If he continues to build on that season, he could find himself in the discussion for some catching reps in the Bronx by 2014. His realistic ceiling is an above average all-around starting major league catcher.

from http://bronxbaseball...-five-catchers/

posted back in late December

#11 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

murphy.jpg

Possibly a victim of the babip flu, his low averages in 2012 didn’t do him justice. JR is a line drive hitter with average power, but as we’ve seen that may be on it’s way up a bit. He has great plate discipline and has a tendency to drive more balls up the middle and to the opposite field using a short quick swing... Defensively there is nothing that he does amazingly, but he does everything well; receiving, blocking, throwing, he does it all at an above average level. He’s also known to be very good with his pitching staff as a strong leader type.  from http://yankeesfansun...star-jr-murphy/

#12 rockoutjerseys

rockoutjerseys

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think its safe to say after seeing that picture we can call him J.R. "Baby Face" Murphy

#13 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

He looks like Dwier Brown (actor who played a catcher, ironically, John Kinsella in Field of Dreams)

MV5BMTMwMjA5NjgwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjc5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).