16 replies to this topic

#16 Franchise

Franchise

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Agreed........if we get 2 potential all-stars, 2 solid starters and a couple depth players out of Baez, Soler, Almora, Olt, Alcantara, Bryant, Lake, Sczcur, Vogelbach, Jackson, Vitters, Ha, Cadelario, Villanueva or Amaya then we should be happy.  The rest of the starters will come via trade and/or free agency - using some of the above mentioned chips!

#17 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

... Cubs farm system ...at a point it has not been for awhile. I read many fans posts pointing to 2015, 2016, or even 2017 as to when this team will be ready to compete. I am not so sure we will have to wait that long.

When Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer came on board, they made no secret about the dearth of "assets" they had. Now they have them. I think Phase 1 of their plan may be about complete. Here is my hope as to what Phase 2 will entail.

... the days of winning by signing free agents are over...

...the Cubs have done a masterful job acquiring these guys (top talent in the minors), and here is what I hope Phase 2 will be...trading some of them. I hope Phase 2 involves finding young guys who are already under contract and acquiring them. 

@BBCG104Reasons

The Red Sox just illustrated the approach you suggest with last night's trade, Coach.

Iglesias is a name I have heard for a couple of years as the future in Boston, but Boston piled up short stop types in the minors (their theory is that ss are the hardest fielders to come buy, the best athletes in general and the easiest to convert), so losing Igesias will cause no depth damage at that position in the RS organization (and cost them no run production on the big league club).

But, starting pitchers in major league form when you need to make a run (and avoid a wild card playoff)?--that's what a mature system is looking for in August.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).