5 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

So in the midst of players demanding large contracts, both in years and money, alot have become busts or not produced what they did before the contract. Josh Hamilton, Albert Pujols and Bj Upton come to mind and I'm sure Cano will receive top dollar.

Would the MLBPA approve of deals with a base salary with more money, years etc as incentives. Example would be Cano gets 10 mil a year but if he hits20-29 homers he gets an extra mil and 30+ an extra 2 mil or say 100 RBI an extra mil and 120+ an extra 2 mil. I just see alot of players in their contract years play very well to get a nice pay day but once they receive the large contract, their production seems to slip. I just see this idea allowing teams to not pay out the arse and a reason for players to have an incentive to produce at their highest level. Not saying all players don't play at a high level it seems they just don't care as much after a large contract.

Phil Hughes will demand a good amount but he's nothing great. Same with EJax, is he really worth what he's making right now? It will also help teams with possible PED suspensions like Arod and Braun so it saves teams some money

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

I doubt that they would go for it.  To me, it makes a ton of sense and you are right.  But I think that they will believe that the players are going to be cheated out of what they "deserve".

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Ummmm NO

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Ummmm NO

Yeah... Gotta agree with Goat there.

#5 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

That work if a single team is doing the negotiations but the problem is the open market.  Players will likely grab the most guaranteed money so that is what teams are offering.

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

That work if a single team is doing the negotiations but the problem is the open market.  Players will likely grab the most guaranteed money so that is what teams are offering.

Yeah, no matter what, it will still benefit players the most.  That is just how the market is right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).