hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

Simple enough, when did you discover BN and when did you become hooked?

For me, I discovered BN in July of this year after seeing Brett post on another blog (at first I thought he was quite the ass for posting a link to his blog on another blog) and I finally clicked through to see what was up. At first I checked maybe once a week here and there.

I was hooked in August pre-Hendry firing when the other blog became just too negative for me and I noticed that Brett was pretty even keel about the status of the Cubs and now I check BN at 10:14 on a Saturday night while watching the B1G champ game (good God, OKSt DEMOLISED OK).

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:42 AM

I don't remember exactly how I found BN, it might have been Google, or it might have been Twitter. I believe it was this past May or June. I was hooked on the first Series She-View. What can I say, I am a dirty old puppet.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

This is something I've actually long wanted to ask folks - I wonder what ways of bringing folks in are working, what ways aren't.

And, for the record, hansman - posting a small, unobtrusive link to your site in your signature is actually fairly standard and accepted practice. Posting links to your own stories, on the other hand (which I do not do), is the dong-move.

#4 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

I found BN at the beginning of the off season when I "Binged" something about Cubs GM, and a link brought me here.
No more Cubs.com message boards for me!!!

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

I'm not sure when I started reading or posting, but it's been a few years at least. I started reading when Brett was posting two or three articles in a row that got zero comments. I always felt bad, he got a lot of crap from the comment section back then, and I wondered if he would keep going. I came here on recommendation from someone on Cubs.com, which turned into a steaming pile the winter after the second playoff collapse in a row. (So many people "quit" being cubs fans that year it's not funny) I can't say that I'm an original, but I've been around longer than most here, and I'm actually kind of proud of what the site has become.

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

I'm not sure when I started reading or posting, but it's been a few years at least. I started reading when Brett was posting two or three articles in a row that got zero comments. I always felt bad, he got a lot of crap from the comment section back then, and I wondered if he would keep going. I came here on recommendation from someone on Cubs.com, which turned into a steaming pile the winter after the second playoff collapse in a row. (So many people "quit" being cubs fans that year it's not funny) I can't say that I'm an original, but I've been around longer than most here, and I'm actually kind of proud of what the site has become.

Yeah, you and a few others have been around since the days when I was tickled pink to have more than two comments on a post.

#7 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

I Googled "Single-team sports blog written by a guy who views himself as being too good to be a lawyer" and the rest, as they say, is history.

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

This is something I've actually long wanted to ask folks - I wonder what ways of bringing folks in are working, what ways aren't.

And, for the record, hansman - posting a small, unobtrusive link to your site in your signature is actually fairly standard and accepted practice. Posting links to your own stories, on the other hand (which I do not do), is the dong-move.

Obviously, it never stopped me from getting hooked and now I see it so much that it is a "Whatever" moment for me when I see them.

Also, dont mind me doing your marketing research work for you. HA

#9 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

My cousin sent me a lukewarm-stove link last November, and I loved it. I've been visiting the site more than daily ever since, but I only started commenting sometime early in the season. I'm not sure why...anyway, this place is the shit, Brett, congrats on the successes of the last year, I appreciate all the hard work you've put in here, and so do the many people I've sent to this site

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

I googled "short and informative" and this is where I laneded. Much to my disgust BN is neither but I'm too lazy to use google for a second time.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

Lurked for awhile but really started posting when the season ended. Found it through google.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#12 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

Lurked for awhile but really started posting when the season ended. Found it through google.

Don't lie you searched for "stud farm" and found BN thinking it was a dating site.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#13 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

If you Google "Dick Tidrow" BN's forums are the first result on the 3rd page.

#14 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

If you Google "Dick Tidrow" BN's forums are the first result on the 3rd page.

I was intrigued enough by this to search Dick Tidrow, and it turns out he has a band in his name. The Band Dick Tidrow

Enjoy

http://bassflava.com...ong-842837.html

#15 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

I found BN this this spring when I was particularly pissed at Brandon Phillips for some reason, and Googled something to the effect of, "Brandon Phillips is a douche," in hopes of finding some small community of people that were of a like mind. Instead, I found this: Brandon Phillips: Certified Badass

With that hilarious article, I was hooked. Just the perfect amount of wit and schadenfreude (something that I have always loved, though I never knew the word for it until this site introduced me to it). But at first, I would only read the stuff that seemed funny, like enhanced box scores and whatnot. I'll admit I was (am) a pretty immature fan. I mean, I was well informed, but I saw internet blog/forum type sites mainly as a place to go to make fun of stuff (something this site does fairly well). Over time though, I started noticing the actual quality of the writing and reporting (something this site does really well). Reading the posts and comments here, I realized that I hadn't just stumbled onto a community of people that care and obsess about the Cubs as much as I do, but they actually think about them as in depthly as I do too, which kind of blew my mind. Thus far, it has been a pleasure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).