fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

So can we start speculating who gets traded?  Here are my predictions (ranked in most likely to be traded)

1. Gregg

2. Either Schierholtz or DeJesus.  Booger/Sweeney take over once they're healed up

3. Russell

4. one of those random AAAA starting pitchers to clear up space for some of those AA guys who need to move out.

5. Crappelt

6. Valbuena or Barney.  Lets Lake move to 3B (if Barney's dealt Valbuena goes to 2B) until Olt gets called up.  OR if Barney is dealt, Watkins could take over at 2B.

7. Villanueva.  Only because the bullpen market is thin and he's been a decent RP

#77 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Question I've been pondering; Jason Parks is very adament that the Twins have a better farm than the Cubs and he's said the Cubs won't be able to pass them this year. Well, if the Cubs did trade Shark, for the ridiculous asking prices we've been hearing (Skaggs/Bradley+), the Cubs would have to surpass the Twins, right?!

(Note: I know the Shark rumors have died down. Just food for thought)

#78 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

The Cubs are very reliant on their positional players while the Twins are much more balanced. I think this is a big reason Stark has said this in the past.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#79 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Question I've been pondering; Jason Parks is very adament that the Twins have a better farm than the Cubs and he's said the Cubs won't be able to pass them this year. Well, if the Cubs did trade Shark, for the ridiculous asking prices we've been hearing (Skaggs/Bradley+), the Cubs would have to surpass the Twins, right?!

I'd say that if the Cubs could add 2 pitching prospects within the top-15 in all of baseball, they should be #1 by a wide margin (that could give us upwards of 6 players in the top-25, depending on who you ask).  However, it seems that prospect rankers, in general, are slower to react to bumping players/teams from the top spot.

We'd probably be #2 until the Cubs traded a few pieces away.

#80 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'd say that if the Cubs could add 2 pitching prospects within the top-15 in all of baseball, they should be #1 by a wide margin (that could give us upwards of 6 players in the top-25, depending on who you ask).  However, it seems that prospect rankers, in general, are slower to react to bumping players/teams from the top spot.

Right. I pretty much agree with everything you said. I, personally, would believe the Cubs then had the top farm... I just don't know if evaluators would think the same.  

#81 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Let's not forget how far we have come though. We started out a couple of years ago at the 13-18 range. Depending on the ranker and if they valued middling depth.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#82 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Even throwing the rankings out the window, we have a farm system full of high impact guys and chock full of top-100 talent.  This will make it easier to swallow trades for guys like Stanton and Price.

#83 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Even throwing the rankings out the window, we have a farm system full of high impact guys and chock full of top-100 talent.  This will make it easier to swallow trades for guys like Stanton and Price.

I like the way you think...

#84 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Trade for Howie Kendrick, flip him at the '15 deadline, when Alcantara should be ready.

LF Valbuena (L)

CF Lake

1B Rizzo (L)

2B Kendrick

RF Morse or Hart (small deal)

SS Castro

C Saltalamacchia (S) / Castillo

3B Olt

#85 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Castro is the worstest player evers in the history of mankind. I personally blame the racist media for all of it. (s/n)

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#86 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

I've got these slowly migrating squiggles on my computer screen.  They started towards the bottom left and are nearly dead center.  It's been a couple of months.  Odd.

#87 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm hopin that in 5 years, my present IPhone 4 will be considered a grandpa phone cuz I'm done paying money for new phones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).