Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Where our starting pitchers will be in '14?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

We would be sacrificing all that we worked on if we trade for Price.  Would kill our farm system.

No more than the Garza trade killed the farm system - which despite the gnashing of teeth across much of Cubdom was actually not at all.

That's not saying Price is the right guy to trade for, but the Cubs could swing a deal involving high end prospects without significantly harming their future.

Which, as I understand it, is the whole point about having depth in the farm system.  That way you have players that contribute to you team directly, but also indirectly by being used in trades for proven talent.

#17 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

We would be sacrificing all that we worked on if we trade for Price.  Would kill our farm system.

No more than the Garza trade killed the farm system - which despite the gnashing of teeth across much of Cubdom was actually not at all.

That's not saying Price is the right guy to trade for, but the Cubs could swing a deal involving high end prospects without significantly harming their future.

Which, as I understand it, is the whole point about having depth in the farm system.  That way you have players that contribute to you team directly, but also indirectly by being used in trades for proven talent.

Exactly. 

#18 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think the time to do that is in 2015. We'll have a good idea of how competitive the offense will be and which pitchers are available through free agency and who gets extended. Bailey, Cueto, Kendrick, Kershaw, Scherzer, etc are all potential free agents that year. 

Of course, if Jeff Samardzija will not agree to a reasonable extension, we're more than likely to trade him in the off season and MLB-ready pitching should be on the menu as a part of the return.

#19 jkppkj

jkppkj

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Russell gets dealt, Raley replaces him as the LOOGY that Sveum has reduced him to as of recent

Russell is a LOOGY for a good reason

Career splits:

vs. LHB: 412 PA, .233 avg, .390 SLG, .267 OBP, 5.4 K/BB

vs. RHB: 561 PA, .292 avg, .503 SLG, .351 OBP, 1.7 K/BB

People love him is because his numbers look good, but one of the primary reasons his numbers look good is because he is used effectively in the right matchups.

For comparison that .854 OPS by righties against Russell is where hitters like Jason Kipnis, Yadier Molina, and Carlos Gomez are sitting this year (22nd to 24th in MLB), and the .657 OPS by lefties against Russell is Miguel Montero, Eric Young Jr., John Buck territory (132nd to 134th). 

Don't get me wrong, I like having him on the team and in the 'pen, but there's a good reason he is used the way he is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).