3 replies to this topic

#1 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

The Cubs future looks uncertain at third base, but there may be a really cheap way to resolve this, especially in a buy low scenario. 

Wait for it....

Alex Rodriguez

Hear me out. Trade for him this offseason, with the Yankees picking up the contract and receiving a C prospect. I'm sure the Yankees would be ecstatic to get rid of him. It is a low-risk, high-reward move. If A-Rod could return to anything close to what he was a couple of seasons ago after his suspension (which could possibly get reduced after appeal), he could be a Top-10 3rd baseman. If not, it's just a small gamble that didn't pay off. We are talking about one of the 20 best power hitters ever here. I know that it wouldn't be popular, but it could work.

I'm not saying this should happen (he's old and juiced up and fragile), or even could, but it's something interesting to think about while Ace is on vacay.

#2 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

You realize he's going to suspended for the rest of this year and all of next year?  By that time the Cubs would have Baez, Olt, Bryant, or Villanueva (I'm not very high on him at 3rd but maybe 2nd) I think 3rd is one of the positions that the Cubs have the most depth in a year.

#3 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

With the appeal process, he could possibly play this year out and be suspended for 2014 and part of 2015. They will no doubt will have already tried Olt by then to see what kind of player he is and Baez/Bryant will be right behind if he doesn't work out or even move to outfield. That might be one of our deeper positions in the minors too. With an entire rebuild and bringing up fresh new faces, I don't see any chance Theo wanting to bring in a near 40 player with all his baggage, it would be too much publicity(negative) and don't see him helping the team at all

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

Why would any team voluntarily take on the baggage that A-Rod is going to bring?  Maybe Miami, just so fans will buy tickets to boo him.  That's about the only one that makes any kind of sense.

I'm not sure the Yankees could offer a bribe big enough to convince me to take back A-Rod.  There are some players I do not want around a young team, and on that list A-Rod is in a class by himself right at the very top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).