20 replies to this topic

#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

I think they should be pretty good this year. The offensive line has to better than last year!

I'm so ready for some football!
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Lokanna

Lokanna

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

Now we just have to hope Cutler doesn't revert to 2 seasons ago with the INTs. Anyone know if Forte got his contract settled? I know he held out until the deadline to add another year.

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

I don't believe Forte's been settled yet. I think they were waiting to see what happened with Gore. Now that has been settled, expect to see Forte's extension any day.

#4 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

They really need to get Forte done. Statistically, hes' been a top 5 back over his 3 years in the league . The contract isnt only about the future (his and the bears) but what he's done for the team in the past (while playing for relative peanuts) Jerry Angelo is horrible, and now that the Cubs have set the precident, hopefully he'll be gone soon. Of course, unlike the Cubs, the ownership is of the Bears is equally terrible and equally to blame for this situation. Either Forte will get what he's earned or the little McCaskey boys get new beach homes... becasue their old ones are so 2008. decisions decision.

im worried the reason they brought chester taylor back to camp was not so much because of barbers injury but becasue they might not extend Forte! Wouldnt that just be the greediest, most idiotic thing you have ever heard?

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

im owrried the reason they brought chester taylor back to camp was not so much because of barbers injury but becasue they might not extend Forte! Wouldnt that just be the greediest, most idiotic thing you have ever heard?

Yes it would. I don't think even the Bear's front office is that stupid.

#6 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

I am ready for football too. I never thought Id say this, but Im more worried about the defense than the offense. Whoa. itsy bitsy guys on coverage and poorly executed, antiquated, predictable, cover douche. we're going to get lit up a lot... hopefully we can score lots of points to cover it.

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

How old is Forte, I'm not a football expert, but I know that running backs have a short life-span and that getting five great years is impressive. How long a contract extension does he want?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#8 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

I am ready for football too. I never thought Id say this, but Im more worried about the defense than the offense. Whoa. itsy bitsy guys on coverage and poorly executed, antiquated, predictable, cover douche. we're going to get lit up a lot... hopefully we can score lots of points to cover it.

I think how the secondary performs will depend on how much pass rush the front four can apply. I think the line has been playing real vanilla in pre-season, then will turn it up when the face the falcons, at least that's what I hope.

#9 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

How old is Forte, I'm not a football expert, but I know that running backs have a short life-span and that getting five great years is impressive. How long a contract extension does he want?

Forte will turn 27 in December. He is in his prime right now, usually 30 or 31 is when the drop off starts

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

Forte will turn 27 in December. He is in his prime right now, usually 30 or 31 is when the drop off starts

That's what I thought so does he want a 2/3 year extendtion or longer

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:59 AM

I think how the secondary performs will depend on how much pass rush the front four can apply. I think the line has been playing real vanilla in pre-season, then will turn it up when the face the falcons, at least that's what I hope.

this is so true (at least how this team was set up). and the line just isnt getting there quick enough. peppers cant do it by himself and we clearly dont have any pre-big-contract tommie harris types up there (i really like israel but he's not a stud, yet). they are absolutley going to have to be a different line than they were preseason to mask the shortcomings of the secondary. to assume this will happen is not smart, but to hope? well thats the chicago way!

#12 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

I like that DT they got from the Texans, he seems to have some real burst. I also like Henry Melton at DT. I keep hearing about how much improved Wooten looked before he got injured. I hope he can come back strong.

#13 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

i like them too, im not saying they are bad (but they arent great). Basically, if the QB gets 2.5 seconds or more, we are going to get hurt badly, if not maimed, or even killed. also, if the line/lb's can't execute the blitz... i.e. really, actually, make contact with the quarteback, the secondary will be exposed.

i wonder why forte is so old? didnt we draft him 3 years ago or so? im thinking he should be like 25ish? huh, must've been a late bloomer. anyway, they made him a good offer. its not stupid money but its uncharacteristically fair for the bears. a lot of guaranteed money (by football standards anyway; baseball pays so much better)

#14 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

I agree. The offense looks like it could be really good this year. There is a lot of age and not a lot of depth on defense though. They need to stay healthy all year again for them to have any chance at taking the division again.

#15 CUB5

CUB5

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

Can't believe Briggs is pulling the "trade me" crap already. Lame.
#17 Mark Grace for the HOF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).