13 replies to this topic

#1 K0ng

K0ng

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

He's been at Iowa a pretty long time, and has hit really well the last couple of weeks.  Instead of dragging Borbon right back, why not Ha?

No idea what they're going to do for a catcher though.  Yeesh...

#2 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

He's been in Iowa for 156 plate appearances which isn't long at all. Maybe at the end of next year. He's only 22 so there's absolutely no reason to rush him.

#3 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Maybe Ty Wright for Thomas Neal. Since he's toiled in the Cubs organization for like 7 seasons.

#4 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

J. C. Boscan for Navvaro. Really too bad about Navvaro, he's been consistently good all season long.

#5 K0ng

K0ng

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Boscan I figured, yeah.  I understand not rushing Ha, and I guess you want him to play every day at Iowa, and you don't want to start his service time, and all that.  But it would still be *fun* to see him called up.  I've heard about him for so long, and never seen him play live.

#6 Jed Jam Band

Jed Jam Band

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Twitter:@DavidVocals91
  • LocationMunster, IN (Home)/Bloomington, IN (College)

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

It's not crazy, no, but I think you bring up Sappelt.  This is a lost season anyway and there's no reason to rush someone like Ha, who has actual prospect status.

#7 K0ng

K0ng

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

I guess you have to decide that there's no player development value to bringing a young prospect up to get major league at bats in a lost season, and after the Jackson and Vitterrs disasters last year, I can understand feeling burned by that.  Sappelt or Ty Wright probably make the most sense, but they're both all they're ever going to be, so you won't really be answering any questions by having them play with the big club.

#8 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

I think you wait until the roster expands to bring up players like Ha.  The reasons are all listed above, playing everyday, service time, consistant coaching, etc.

#9 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

We'll see Jae-Hoon Ha and Arismendy Alcantara next year, they have to be added to the 40-man to protect them from Rule 5 draft. Ha's a lefty masher with +++ defense in any OF spot and Alcantara could be the 2B of our future (unless we go crazy and sign Cano).

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yeah, Ha's not on the 40 man.  No use burning a spot until the offseason.  Let him build up confidence by putting up good numbers in AAA and we'll see how he does during the Spring

#11 JungleDrew

JungleDrew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

I agree with bringing up Ty Wright.  Compared to Dave Sappelt he is as good if not better in most categories over their minor league careers.

Dave Sappelt's career minor league slash (not including any major league time)

.293/.345/.431 with OPS of .775 and an ISO .138, K rate of 13.39% and BB rate of 7.31%

And Ty Wright's career numbers:

.291/.344/.430 WITH OPS .774 and an ISO .139, K rate  of 13.66% and BB rate of 7.46%

Where it seems to get interesting, and this probably plays into where they batted in the lineup through their careers, but Ty Wright drives in a lot more runs. 

He has an RBI per PA of 14.19% compared to Sappelt's 10.83%

He hits a home run 2.28% of the time compared to Sappelt's 1.62%. 

And when Ty Wright gets on base he is more likely to score 38.5% to Sappelt's 35.3%

These last three percentages I feel show a better comparison of a players "clutchness", and if we're just bringing up a player to be a bat off the bench it would seem to me you want the more clutch player. Plus, Ty has been fielding at first base this year so he can back up Rizzo, he plays ok defense all over the outfield and has only had 1 error this seson.

Finally, there is no reason to believe that we would protect Ty Wright this off-season, so he will most likely become a minor league free agent, where as Dave Sappelt might be kept for next year anyway, so why not use the Ty while we have him.

#12 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

No such thing as "clutchness," and we don't need anyone to back up Rizzo. Ty Wright is an organizational filler. While it would be cool for him to get some big league ABs, the Cubs shouldn't feel the need to "use the Ty while we have him." Also burns a 40 man spot that we could use later for a waiver claim or trade.

#13 JungleDrew

JungleDrew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

No such thing as "clutchness," and we don't need anyone to back up Rizzo. Ty Wright is an organizational filler. While it would be cool for him to get some big league ABs, the Cubs shouldn't feel the need to "use the Ty while we have him." Also burns a 40 man spot that we could use later for a waiver claim or trade.

I wasn't really saying "clutchness" exists.  It just seemed the best word to use in showing the disparity between Dave Sappelt and Ty Wright's ability to produce runs.  Ty produces more runs, despite having very similar career numbers in other areas.  And being able to cover first base does make him more valuable, even if that service is never utilized.

And since the original post was about bringing up Jae-Hoon, who would also require a 40 man spot, it would make more sense to me to use a guy like Ty Wright first who is going to be gone at the end of the year anyway. (For point of reference Ty also has much better career numbers than Jae-Hoon .277/.321/.398, OPS .719, K% 15.12, BB% 6.03 ISO .121)

And any waiver claim we could be grabbing is going to be a fringe player who probably isn't any better or worse, just different (and probably likely to be released at the end of the year to make room for rule 5 protection). And as far as trades go you could just include Ty as part of the package (because everyone needs 5th outfielder/AAAA filler types).

#14 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

I wasn't really saying "clutchness" exists.  It just seemed the best word to use in showing the disparity between Dave Sappelt and Ty Wright's ability to produce runs.  Ty produces more runs, despite having very similar career numbers in other areas.  And being able to cover first base does make him more valuable, even if that service is never utilized.

And since the original post was about bringing up Jae-Hoon, who would also require a 40 man spot, it would make more sense to me to use a guy like Ty Wright first who is going to be gone at the end of the year anyway. (For point of reference Ty also has much better career numbers than Jae-Hoon .277/.321/.398, OPS .719, K% 15.12, BB% 6.03 ISO .121)

And any waiver claim we could be grabbing is going to be a fringe player who probably isn't any better or worse, just different (and probably likely to be released at the end of the year to make room for rule 5 protection). And as far as trades go you could just include Ty as part of the package (because everyone needs 5th outfielder/AAAA filler types).

The difference in their RBIs and runs is probably more a function of where they have batted in the lineup and the offensive ability of other hitters in those lineups. Don't underestimate the importance of waiver claims. Jose Bautista and David Eckstein were once claimed on waivers and helped their respective teams to competitive seasons. Luis Valbuena was also a waiver claim, and he has provided good value offensively and defensively 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).