#1 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

I looked at Tony Campana's stats from last season and I think he should get more playing time...let me explain

Campana got on base a total of 43 times last year and had 24 stolen bases!

Now I know he needs to learn how to get on base more with his skill set, he seemed to hit the ball to hard on the infield and not hard enough to the outfield.
I think he should try to model himself after the Yankees Brett Gardner, With his ridiculous speed he would have huge stolen base numbers and that's something the Cubs don't have and need really bad!

Here is a link for more of his stats:

http://www.baseball-...campato01.shtml

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

He can't play defense (he seriously has no arm, takes poor routes, makes foolish dives),and he can't hit (sorry he can't just bunt everytime). This is just scrappy love at its ultimate, he has one useful role: pinch running.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

He can't play defense (he seriously has no arm, takes poor routes, makes foolish dives),and he can't hit (sorry he can't just bunt everytime). This is just scrappy love at its ultimate, he has one useful role: pinch running.

To be fair about his defense, the metrics all adore him, but that's obviously cause they don't take arm strength into account. IF he was a decent bunter and IF he could take some pitches and IF he could play good defense, he could possibly approach Gardner. But thats not gonna happen, cause Gardner is one of the best defensive outfielders in the game and get on base at an absurd clip.

it is true that Campana is faster than Gardner, though, and if he could get on base at a higher rate (say, .350) he could steal 100+ bases, without a doubt. He's just that fast. I've seen him run out a normal grounder to 2nd base. Thats impossible, and Ive seen it happen

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

Until Campana demonstrates that he could get on base at even a .320 clip (and that means BUNTS, and PATIENCE, things he simply did not show last year - at age 25), there simply isn't a spot for him outside the end of the bench. He's a good player to have on your roster, if you can fit him. But I don't see more starts in his future unless he completely changes his offensive approach. As has been said, his arm is also Juan Pierre-esque.

#5 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Maybe Dale Sveum can give him a new approach at the plate, get him to make more contact.

I think he needs to build his upper body more, thats one big difference between Brett Gardner and Campana.

I don't know I'm just tired of seeing people get on first and stay there, and Campana is someone who won't stay there... his only problem is getting there.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

As has been said, his arm is also Juan Pierre-esque.

Wish I could remember which game it was last last summer that found him fielding a ball in CF and throwing the loopiest, most pathetic outfield throw to home that I've ever seen a major leaguer do. Almost looked like my 5-year-old's t-ball team.

#7 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

I like Campana and I think the potential is there. I would put him in LF ( All he has to do is field fly balls and throw to the cutoff man/3B). If he can improve his hitting I think he would be an ideal leadoff hitter, especially with his speed. With him an infield grounder can become a single, a single can become a double, a double can become a triple, and a triple can become a HR. All he has to do is get his swing down.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

I like Campana and I think the potential is there. I would put him in LF ( All he has to do is field fly balls and throw to the cutoff man/3B). If he can improve his hitting I think he would be an ideal leadoff hitter, especially with his speed. With him an infield grounder can become a single, a single can become a double, a double can become a triple, and a triple can become a HR. All he has to do is get his swing down.

He has a difficult time reaching the cutoff if he's in deep center, the throw that TWC was pathetic and his other throws are always weak, basically if you can reach 2nd before/as Campy is fielding the ball you can easily reach third. He is that bad.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).