CubbieBoiler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:TheTony_Scott

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hey there,

I have been looking at the weak free agent market and if the Cubs expect to compete in 2014 we need a free agent addition. I posted this on one of the articles but I really think Jacoby Ellsbury would be a good fit. We havent had a good leadoff hitter since in my opinion Kenny Lofton in his prime. I know we are outfield heavy in the minors but getting a younger guy like Ellsbury for something like 5/70 would give us a leadoff hitter, a bonified center fielder, and a chance to compete. This would also allow us to dangle one of our prospects (probably Almora) to try to bring in a bonified ace. I know it would be a risky move but I think it is something Epstein could be in favor of because he was a fan of Ellsbury. Lets face it Samardzija is not an ace he is a two at best and we are not getting an ace from the free agent market. Thoughts?

#2 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Im all for Ellsbury, but not at that price. He's been injured in the past which should decrease his value, and he's not the home run hitter he was in 2011. I believe he is worth 4 years at 10-12 mil tops. Second, I think Kelly Johnson would be a great upgrade at 2B. Yes he's not Cano, but he's a huge upgrade from Barney, obviously offensively. If thats the case, we could part with Barney to a team with a lot of pop and could use defense for a bullpen arm. 

I hate to do projected futuristic lineups, but with those two in mind: 

CF Ellsbury

SS Castro(if he gets his act together)

1B Rizzo

RF Schierholtz

2B Johnson

3B Olt

LF Lake

C Castillo

P

Pitching would be about the same and has been surprisingly good this season. Add a bullpen arm or two and that team on paper could compete for a Wild Card spot. 

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Actually, DeJesus was a very good lead off hitter last year and we only had Lofton for 236 PA.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

5/70?

NO, don't want none, don't need none, couldn't afford it if I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).