49 replies to this topic

#1 someday...2015?

someday...2015?

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

I love the idea of going all out this offseason and signing Ellsbury AND Cano. I think we could be really competitive in 2014 if you add those two. By signing both Cano and Ellsbury you could potentially set yourself up nicely for a blockbuster trade. Something like Barney, Soler, Vogelbach, P. Johnson, Alcantara, and Zastryzny for David Price. Look at the potential September 2014 lineup with Cano, Ellsbury, and Price.

2014 LINEUP
1. Ellsbury CF
2. Castro SS
3. Cano 2B
4. Rizzo 1B
5. Baez 3B
6. Lake RF
7. Schierholtz RF
8. Castillo C

ROTATION
1. Price
2. Shark
3. Wood
4. Jackson
5. Hendricks
Setup: A.Cabrera
Closer: Vizcaino

All this and you would still have Bryant, Almora, the 2014 1st round pick, ect in the wings.

Fast forward to 2015...

2015 LINEUP(world series winning lineup)
1. Ellsbury RF
2. Almora CF
3. Cano 2B
4. Bryant LF
5. Rizzo 1B
6. Baez 3B
7. Castro SS
8. Castillo C

Don't ask where Lake went.

2015 ROTATION
1. Price
2. Shark
3. Edwards
4. Wood
5. Hendricks
Setup: Cabrera
Closer:Vizcaino

The future is bright no matter what happens. It just might be brighter with Cano, Ellsbury, and Price in it.

#2 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Lake is the super-utility guy right?

As much as I hope the Cubs could somehow get both Ellsbury and Cano, they would probably only get one, and it ain't Cano.

They'll probably just create a big enough splash to make heads turn. 

#3 someday...2015?

someday...2015?

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

Super utility sounds good to me.

I agree about the probability of getting both. Highly unlikely, but man would it be exiting if it happened!

#4 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

If I pm you my address can you send me some of what you've been drinking and smoking?

#5 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

1. Zastrzny can't be traded until 1 year after being drafted so he can't be traded. 2 Baez will not be up next season and Almora won't be up until late 2015 and probably Bryant as well. 3 where is Olt?

I would love for them to get them both, but highly unlikely. Cano will demand a long term contract which looks to be in bad favor of teams like the Angels. Ellsbury will demand top dollar with boras as his agent, although he is more likely than cano.

#6 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@xruben31
  • Facebook:Xavier Ruben Rice
  • LocationStreator, Illinois

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

If we sign Ellsbury then we would probably rather trade Almora than Soler because his skill set plays better in CF. I say Almora, Vogelbach, P. Johnson and Arismendy Alcantra. But we aren't getting Cano... I say go for Garza and trade for Price so even if they are force to trade Shark because he wont sign an extension we still have a formidable rotation; Price, Garza, Shark, Wood and Jackson would be amazing though.

#7 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@xruben31
  • Facebook:Xavier Ruben Rice
  • LocationStreator, Illinois

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

1. Zastrzny can't be traded until 1 year after being drafted so he can't be traded. 2 Baez will not be up next season and Almora won't be up until late 2015 and probably Bryant as well. 3 where is Olt?

Baez will be up in 2014, just not to start the season. Bryant, Alcantra and Soler could also be up in 2014. Almora Should move fast next season, like to AA in July fast, so starting the 2015 season in the majors isn't too far out there.

#8 someday...2015?

someday...2015?

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

wvcubsfan, no you may not. :)

Patrick....
1. Zastryzny can be traded around the deadline next year.(note I said September lineup.)
2. Baez has a great chance to be up with the big club in September of 2014.
3. I favor Baez, and Bryant at third over Olt. I don't think Olt will figure out his issues at the plate.

X the cubs fan, I agree about the fact that if we sign Ellsbury, Almora would become the most likely of the top prospects to be traded. I just think so highly of Almora that I can't imagine any scenario with him being involved in a trade.

#9 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

I think that is a lot for Price and I don't mean talent wise, necessarily (but possibly), but thats a lot of players.  I would think something along the lines of Johnson, Alomora, Alcantara and Zastryzny would be close.  Thats a top 50 prospect and two more fringe top 100 guys plus a decent lefty prospect.  They may want a mojor league ready guy so Grimm, Rusin or Arieta instead.  I would bet the deal would have to center around Baez.

Also, I don't think these lineups are quite as good as you think as fast as you think.  If they have starts joining teh team in September then you're probably a year too early with the prediction of when the team is that competitive.  Thats why I think Cano isn't that good of a signing.  He'll cost to much and be on the decline.

#10 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

For as much as Cubs fans bitched about Soriano's deal you guys seem to be oddly ok with throwing out huge deals for Ellsbury and Cano. 

Ellsbury is a purely speed guy (those 32 HR seem to be an outlier considering the other 6 full/part years he has been in the majors he has 31 HR combined) and what is usually the first thing to go when a guy gets older? Thats right speed. Little evidence: Bourn's SB last 5 years (age 26-30)- 61 52 61 42 17 Soriano's (26-30)-41 35 18 30 41 (never stole more than 20 again) 

Cano I would have no problem with signing except that he is going to get about an 8 year deal, which is exactly the same length of contract that Soriano got in his age 30 season. 

#11 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Soriano was kind of a speed guy in an OF spot, who had pop, but prone to the strike out and got injured.

Cano is an infielder that is a power bat, who also hits for average and (i think owns 1 GG?) someone close to the defensive capability of Darwin Barney.

If we can get Cano for the same deal we got for Soriano, I'd be fine with that.

#12 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Cano will get 8 from the Yankee's it would take 9 or 10 from the Cubs(no thank you).  I'm a bigger fan of Granderson/Cruz/Choo for the outfield.  That is what is great about this offseason though if the Cubs do not sign one of the bigger free agents for the outfield we know its going to be another year of a top 7 pick in the draft.  No way Lake, DJD, and Schierholtz is making the playoffs.

#13 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Cano will get 8 from the Yankee's it would take 9 or 10 from the Cubs(no thank you).  I'm a bigger fan of Granderson/Cruz/Choo for the outfield.  That is what is great about this offseason though if the Cubs do not sign one of the bigger free agents for the outfield we know its going to be another year of a top 7 pick in the draft.  No way Lake, DJD, and Schierholtz is making the playoffs.

Choo would be the best fit, but then again he would be a fit for almost every team in the league haha

#14 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Soriano was kind of a speed guy in an OF spot, who had pop, but prone to the strike out and got injured.

Cano is an infielder that is a power bat, who also hits for average and (i think owns 1 GG?) someone close to the defensive capability of Darwin Barney.

If we can get Cano for the same deal we got for Soriano, I'd be fine with that.

Cano is going to require a hell of a lot more than 16 mil a year or whatever Soriano got. Im thinking more like 20+ for 8 years. Still ok with that? Paying 20+ mil for a guy for his 36+ seasons? sounds like an awesome deal to me

#15 Okiecubhawk

Okiecubhawk

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Injury risk aside I like Ellsbury as long the contract is not longer than 4 years.  I also like the idea of Choo as a target.  However, I think he would be a strict platoon player.  IMO Ellsbury should be the main target and Choo as a fallback plan.  As far as Cano goes I just don't see anyone other than the Yankees landing him without going way overboard on money and years.  We don't want that again here (Soriano).  I would also like to see the Cubs go hard after Brian Mccann because him and Castillo platooning would give the Cubs some pretty nice production at catcher.  If they get both Ellsbury and Mccann then you are set at 1st, SS, C and CF.  I don't know who the right handed outfield bats are though.  You still have Schierholtz so in reality you are looking at an outfield of him, Lake and possbly Ellsbury/Choo or player X in CF.  Still a couple of gaping holes at 2nd and 3rd to deal with. 

I think with a couple of good signings and new guys stepping up the offense has a chance to compete.  However, that is stil counting on a lot of things to go the right way.  Do Rizzo and Castro improve?  Can Olt actually provide a servicable bat at 3rd next year?  If he can then maybe a Valbuena/Barney 2nd base dead zone next year is more livable.  Who splits with Schierholtz?  Is what Junior Lake is doing real or a mirage?  Who ends up in center field? 

Sooo many questions about next years offense.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).