#1 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

I really, really don't understand this whole bowl selection system (I mean, Virginia Tech and Michigan? Really?), but it seems to me like Oklahoma State got screwed.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:00 AM

I avoid college football because the national championship game is decided by the first week if Decemeber. A great game like Wisconsin/Michigan State becomes essentially meaningless because neither of them can win the ultimate prize. Just have a 8 team playoff and I'll (and other) will start to care about college football.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

What do you have against Michigan getting a BCS spot, Sir? Name a clearly better team that missed out. Arkansas? They beat no one but South Carolina and got shit-kicked by LSU and Alabama. Kansas State? Beat no one but Baylor and got shit-kicked by Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

#4 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

My beef is less with Michigan and more with Tech, who beat, like, no one all year, barely pulling out wins against soft competition. But just to throw out some teams that I, personally, would rather see get a shot: Baylor, South Carolina, and Boise State.

I think Michigan had a good year, but they get hyped up for great wins against teams like Ohio State and Notre Dame (both at home), both of whom I think people forget, were not actually all that good this year.

#5 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

Oklahoma State got screwed big time. They played a tougher schedule than Alabama and beat better teams. OK St. beat the number 10 team (Oklahoma) by 34 points in a week that Alabama didn't even play in their conference championship game. I'm sorry but generally if a team wins while another team doesn't play, the team that won should move up in the rankings. Alabama didn't win their conference championship and didn't even win their division. They already lost to LSU, at home, in overtime in a game completely decided by kickers. Now Bama has had an extra week to rest, recover and gameplan. My question is if Oklahoma St. blows out whoever they play in their bowl game and Bama wins by a small margin, do they really deserve the title?

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

I am pretty pissed that a non-conference champion go into the championship game over a similar 1-loss team that won their conference, on the other hand, Alabama's only loss this year was to LSU and the score was 9-6, so the argument exists that they are similar with LSU in terms of "greatest team in the land".

I also greatly disagree with the playoff system. Any playoffs would either begin competing with final exams or the Super Bowl and the 2 in the championship game (in an 8 team system) would play 3 additional games and that is just too much.

#7 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

I guess the reason I wanted to see OkST instead of 'Bama in the title game is because the Bama v LSU matchup doesnt really give us any new information either way. If Bama wins, they split the season series. Who's better there? and if LSU wins, it just confirms what we've already seen.

But in an OkST v LSU game, if OkST wins, theyre clearly the best team in the country, and vice versa. Thats how the championship should be decided.

Also, the BCS keeps telling everyone "Every Game Counts", but apparently if you're in the SEC, youre allowed a mulligan? Its just hypocritical to me

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

My beef is less with Michigan and more with Tech, who beat, like, no one all year, barely pulling out wins against soft competition. But just to throw out some teams that I, personally, would rather see get a shot: Baylor, South Carolina, and Boise State.

I think Michigan had a good year, but they get hyped up for great wins against teams like Ohio State and Notre Dame (both at home), both of whom I think people forget, were not actually all that good this year.

Eh. I think they get more pump for annihilating a pretty good Nebraska team.

#9 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

BCS= Bullshit Championship Selection

Figure skating is the only other sport I can think of where you don't have to compete directly against your opponent in order to pass them in rankings. There needs to be a playoff in NCAA football... that is all.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#10 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

And Boise State beat a damn good team in Georgia, yet they are going to the MAACO bowl. I just highly doubt that Michigan was selected on the quality of their resume (and I know Virginia Tech wasn't).

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

And Boise State beat a damn good team in Georgia, yet they are going to the MAACO bowl. I just highly doubt that Michigan was selected on the quality of their resume (and I know Virginia Tech wasn't).

You're not wrong there - Michigan has fans that travel, especially after the last few years.

#12 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

You're not wrong there - Michigan has fans that travel, especially after the last few years.

Yea, and in the end, I guess it really is just a money game. Boise State's upset over Oklahoma in the '06 Fiesta Bowl (the best and most exciting game I have ever seen in my life) had some of the worst ratings in BCS bowl history. Why would you invite Cinderella to the ball, when she's got a rich step-sister?

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Until playoffs are put in place this will always be a popularity contest and the big conference big boys will always be favored. This is why college football is low on my list of sports I care about, no definitive championship.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#14 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

Until playoffs are put in place this will always be a popularity contest and the big conference big boys will always be favored. This is why college football is low on my list of sports I care about, no definitive championship.

AMEN! I couldn't agree more.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#15 Sweet James Jones

Sweet James Jones

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitter:SweetJJ1s
  • Facebook:Clay Dodson
  • LocationCookeville, Tennessee

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Bitch please. If you really think OK State should have a shot at the National Title, well thats stupid.

First of all, why would you want to see another Big 12 minus 2 team get their asses handed to them again by an SEC team. Seriously. Thats what would happen. Sorry.

Second of all. Blah blah blah Alabama didnt win their conference, blah blah blah. SO WHAT. They got beat by the best team in the nation and that was their only loss. Ok State dropped the ball against unranked Iowa (correct if wrong of course).

Blah blah blah Alabama and LSU rematch. SNORE. Whatever kids. The SEC is the best football conference, better than the Big 10 plus 4, Pac whatever, Big ten minus 2, etc. I would rather see the two teams in a rematch. PERIOD.

Oh yes Im from the South, why do you ask?

/BCS does suck though.
//playoffs are needed.
Betternews is a Bitterbitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).