17 replies to this topic

#1 Austin8466

Austin8466

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

Who do you guys think "the core" is moving forward for this team?

I would say:

Castro

Rizzo

Castillo

Barney

Lake

Samardjiza

Wood

I know Barney's bat isn't great, but he's clutch, and gold glove defenders don't just grow on trees. I think Lake has athleticism for days, and he's clearly holding his own in LF. Maybe the kid just needed a big enough challenge to focus his attention on?

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

The is The Core:

#3 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'd agree with your list of core players.Though, Barney could go either way because I see him becoming irrelevant soon with Alcantara, Olt, Castro, and Baez all seemingly playing for 3 spots within the next 1.5 years.

I really hope Lake and Olt can be nice surprises this and next year. If either or both of them play to just below their ceiling we would have 4 positions locked down by young, cost controlled, good ball players (Castro and Rizzo being the other 2). If both of Olt and Lake disappear into obscurity, then we are left dreaming and waiting on Alcantara, Bryant, and Baez. 

#4 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'd agree with your list of core players.Though, Barney could go either way because I see him becoming irrelevant soon with Alcantara, Olt, Castro, and Baez all seemingly playing for 3 spots within the next 1.5 years.

I really hope Lake and Olt can be nice surprises this and next year. If either or both of them play to just below their ceiling we would have 4 positions locked down by young, cost controlled, good ball players (Castro and Rizzo being the other 2). If both of Olt and Lake disappear into obscurity, then we are left dreaming and waiting on Alcantara, Bryant, and Baez. 

it seems like Lake has already been a nice surprise but we will have to wait to see if he can keep it up for the year.  I think next year will really be the key.  Will he regress or find a true position and excel.  Olt should have his chance by then as well.  Even if he and Olt disappear I  don't think the wait is going to be that long.  Baez and Alcantara could be up by the end of next year.  About the time we will know if Lake and Olt are good or not.

#5 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hard to call Lake part of the "core" at this point. Too little time under his belt and hasn't proven enough. He's been awesome, but too early to get over zealous on what he has done and will be.

Shark

Wood

EJax

Castro

Rizzo

Castillo

And that's all she wrote. Soon enough Barney will be irrelevant so I'm not counting him in. DeJesus and Schierholtz will either be here one more year or shipped out before then, so they don't count. Parker and Strop could be core BP pieces but again, like Lake, too little experience with the Cubs to label them core...although I've liked what I've seen.

#6 Austin8466

Austin8466

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

I don't get the hate for Barney. In a good lineup, you bat him 8th and eat the low average for occassional clutch hits and gold glove defense. He's young, cost-controlled, and provides a defensive highlight almost every game.

Not everyone in the lineup moving forward will hit .300 and be an RBI machine. There is a premium value for elite defense and I think the people who believe Barney is expendable are greatly under-valuing him.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

He's not expendable, he's just more of a bench player.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

yeah it's not hate, it's that there is a guy coming up that seems to be very good defensively and much better with the bat in Alcantara. He's at least a year away probably but still that would eliminate Barney for me being part of the core moving forward.

his defense is amazing, his bat just doesn't play to this level.

#9 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

I don't get the hate for Barney. In a good lineup, you bat him 8th and eat the low average for occassional clutch hits and gold glove defense. He's young, cost-controlled, and provides a defensive highlight almost every game.

Not everyone in the lineup moving forward will hit .300 and be an RBI machine. There is a premium value for elite defense and I think the people who believe Barney is expendable are greatly under-valuing him.

You just described the type of player every team needs, but that in and of itself doesn't make said player part of the "core".  I would say that type of player is much closer to being part of the "crust".

#10 Austin8466

Austin8466

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:05 AM

You just described the type of player every team needs, but that in and of itself doesn't make said player part of the "core".  I would say that type of player is much closer to being part of the "crust".

lol "the crust"? That's awesome. Fair enough I suppose.

#11 mountsalami

mountsalami

Bleacher Bum

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDeep Inside

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

I would say:

Castro

Rizzo

Castillo

Barney

Lake

Samardjiza

Wood

I know Barney's bat isn't great, but he's clutch, and gold glove defenders don't just grow on trees. I think Lake has athleticism for days, and he's clearly holding his own in LF. Maybe the kid just needed a big enough challenge to focus his attention on?

None of those players should be considered a "core". The closest thing to a "core" player we had this season was Matt Garza. Wood and Shark would probably be fourth and fifth starters on a decent team. Far from being a core at this time.

#12 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Core 2015+

1B Vogelbach

2B Alcantara

3B Bryant

SS Baez

LF FA / Lake

CF Almora / Ha

RF Soler

C Krist

SP Arrieta

SP Hendricks

SP Edwards

SP Johnson

LR Rusin

LR Grimm

LR Loux

MR Vizcaino

CL Parker

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

I would say:

Castro
Rizzo
Castillo
Barney
Lake
Samardjiza
Wood

None of those players should be considered a "core". The closest thing to a "core" player we had this season was Matt Garza. Wood and Shark would probably be fourth and fifth starters on a decent team. Far from being a core at this time.
Would you like to back up those claims with some facts?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

I would say:

Castro
Rizzo
Castillo
Barney
Lake
Samardjiza
Wood

No he would not, because there 0 facts that would back That sentence up

#15 mountsalami

mountsalami

Bleacher Bum

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDeep Inside

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

I would say:

Castro
Rizzo
Castillo
Barney
Lake
Samardjiza
Wood

That wonderful line-up of "core" players can pretty much guarantee you another 95-100 loss season. Not so sure what the definition of "core" would be then.  

Maybe someone can clarify what "core" truely means. How about some facts along with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).