Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

I'm not doing your ohne work for you. You were the one that said *none* of the players off the list should be a core piece.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#17 patg006

patg006

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Who do you guys think "the core" is moving forward for this team?

I would say:

Castro

Rizzo

Castillo

Barney

Lake

Samardjiza

Wood

I know Barney's bat isn't great, but he's clutch, and gold glove defenders don't just grow on trees. I think Lake has athleticism for days, and he's clearly holding his own in LF. Maybe the kid just needed a big enough challenge to focus his attention on?

Think you're jumping the gun way too early here.  Right now we just don't know.  I keep hearing about Rizzo's ceiling, but right now thinking he could be 'Votto-esque' now has me thinking 'Laroche-esque,' and not the good Laroche (Adam?  Or Andy, I forget.)  

Some call my thinking narrow minded, I'm just tired of a great 4-5 day with a home run, pair of doubles and handful of RBIs followed by five days of 0-fers with walks.  He's not hitting his own weight.  This is a problem.

Samarzdija looks like an ace one day and a punching bag the next.  I'd listen to trade offers for him, I'd also be a happy camper if he got a 5 year deal.

Lake hasn't played a full year, let's not blow our loads just yet.

Castro is one of mine.  Finally the cubs and Sveum pulled their heads out of their asses thinking an aggressive hitter by nature can become a sabermetrics stat line.  

Travis Wood has impressed me.  Sure, I'll put him in.  He's no Andy Pettite, but he quietly keeps getting better.

Castillo?  Sure.

Barney?  Absolutely not.  Royce Clayton 2.0 (and that may be insulting to Royce because he made 1 all star appearance in his 16 years playing.)  Cant hit, can only field.  That matters when you have a guy on third with one out and the pitcher bats behind you.

#18 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

Who do you guys think "the core" is moving forward for this team?

I would say:

Castro

Rizzo

Castillo

Barney

Lake

Samardjiza

Wood

I know Barney's bat isn't great, but he's clutch, and gold glove defenders don't just grow on trees. I think Lake has athleticism for days, and he's clearly holding his own in LF. Maybe the kid just needed a big enough challenge to focus his attention on?

Think you're jumping the gun way too early here.  Right now we just don't know.  I keep hearing about Rizzo's ceiling, but right now thinking he could be 'Votto-esque' now has me thinking 'Laroche-esque,' and not the good Laroche (Adam?  Or Andy, I forget.)  

Some call my thinking narrow minded, I'm just tired of a great 4-5 day with a home run, pair of doubles and handful of RBIs followed by five days of 0-fers with walks.  He's not hitting his own weight.  This is a problem.

Samarzdija looks like an ace one day and a punching bag the next.  I'd listen to trade offers for him, I'd also be a happy camper if he got a 5 year deal.

Lake hasn't played a full year, let's not blow our loads just yet.

Castro is one of mine.  Finally the cubs and Sveum pulled their heads out of their asses thinking an aggressive hitter by nature can become a sabermetrics stat line.  

Travis Wood has impressed me.  Sure, I'll put him in.  He's no Andy Pettite, but he quietly keeps getting better.

Castillo?  Sure.

Barney?  Absolutely not.  Royce Clayton 2.0 (and that may be insulting to Royce because he made 1 all star appearance in his 16 years playing.)  Cant hit, can only field.  That matters when you have a guy on third with one out and the pitcher bats behind you.

Rizzo:  I agree with the thought here but at 24 and in his first full season I expected struggles.  His peripheral stats are good so I think he'll bounce back and be a core player.

I'd listen on Samardizija as well.  He'll be 29 next year.  He needs to show who he really is.  I fear this is it so.  I hope not and I'm not sure he'll ever reach his potential with cubs.  He's still a sell high right now so if the return is there a trade wouldn't bother me.  Plus there's a lot of young depth I'd like to see.

Lake's BA is probably inflated and he's learning to play outfield but if he's not starting next year I'd be amazed.  Core in three years?  We'll know in 12 months.  Keep him and start him next year?  No doubt

Castro:  I don't see another option.  Mental meistakes need to be fixed but I think they can be.  He was an all star twice and I believe he'll recover.  They're are complaints about his defense but he has better range than any of the prospects are supposed to though I'm not sure how to back that up other than Baez commits a lot of errors too.

Wood:  Core.  He may be a third on a contender so lets hope he is.  That's still a core player.

Castillo is a find and hoipefully will be great behind the dish for 7, 8, 10 years.  (That's asking a lot though.

Barney's gotta go.  I hate to say it.  I like him but a great defensive 2nd baseman isn't enough to keep him around.  Core? No way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).