jkppkj

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Who are they going to be?

My guess off the top of my head is that we'll see the following:

Brooks Raley, Jake Arrieta, J.C. Boscan, maybe Vitters or Olt or both?, and Szcur only if there is an OF injury

#2 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

That's a pretty good list but Olt has to start hitting or I don't think he gets the call.

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Arrieta is coming up to start tomorrow, Vitters is going back on the DL due to marshmallow-like toughness in his hamstring.  I think we'll see guys like Borbon, Sappelt, Gonzalez, and Maysonett along with bullpen guys like Raley and Coleman.  I don't think we'll get much to get excited about this year. 

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Arrieta is coming up to start tomorrow, Vitters is going back on the DL due to marshmallow-like toughness in his hamstring.  I think we'll see guys like Borbon, Sappelt, Gonzalez, and Maysonett along with bullpen guys like Raley and Coleman.  I don't think we'll get much to get excited about this year. 

Marshmallows are tough, ever try to get the stuff off your fingers?  It's just soft.  Now wet TP, there is some weak stuff.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Marshmallows are tough, ever try to get the stuff off your fingers?  It's just soft.  Now wet TP, there is some weak stuff.

I believe what you are referring to as tough is just elasticity.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Vitters, if he is healthy.

Olt - maybe.  I wouldn't, but there isn't a lot to lose I suppose.

Szczur.  No reason not to.

ALL THE PITCHERS!  Ok, maybe not quite all of them... but, nearly all the ones on the 40 man already at least.  Again, there really isn't much of a reason not to do so.

Brett Jackson.  That one is interesting.  I'd say no, but there isn't a lot of downside.  At worst he comes up, is terrible, and the Cubs will have an easier time de-rostering him over the winter.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Vitters, if he is healthy.
Olt - maybe.  I wouldn't, but there isn't a lot to lose I suppose.
Szczur.  No reason not to.
ALL THE PITCHERS!  Ok, maybe not quite all of them... but, nearly all the ones on the 40 man already at least.  Again, there really isn't much of a reason not to do so.

Brett Jackson.  That one is interesting.  I'd say no, but there isn't a lot of downside.  At worst he comes up, is terrible, and the Cubs will have an easier time de-rostering him over the winter.

Can't argue with that, Luke, but I thought we were taking this one off topic.

Edit: I've been way too snarky lately.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

I like to make Hansman work for his derailments.  He has to earn it!

#9 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

I believe Marcus Hatley becomes a free agent if he doesn't get added to the 40-man. So does anyone else think he's worth a roster spot?

#10 udbrky

udbrky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:udbrky

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

I feel like if he were a part of the future, he'd be up at some point.

#11 patg006

patg006

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think Vitters and BJax are on their last chances......definitely see them

#12 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Not sure why Vitters would be on his last chance.  He played well in Iowa last season, and he's played well in Iowa this season when healthy.  I doubt the front office would read much into his struggles while in the majors last September, either.  

#13 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

Not sure why Vitters would be on his last chance.  He played well in Iowa last season, and he's played well in Iowa this season when healthy.  I doubt the front office would read much into his struggles while in the majors last September, either.  

With all the additions to the minors at third does the front office think Vitters still has a chance?  It seems unlikely to me.  Not sure where he ranks as a 3B prospect but maybe third or fourth.  Thoughts?

#14 jkppkj

jkppkj

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

With all the additions to the minors at third does the front office think Vitters still has a chance?  It seems unlikely to me.  Not sure where he ranks as a 3B prospect but maybe third or fourth.  Thoughts?

So Vitters is a year younger than Olt, to the day. He's been hurt on and off all this year, but has put up pretty solid numbers in the 100 plate appearances he's had (.295/.380/.511).  Unfortunately, I think Vitters value in most fans eyes suffers from name fatigue more than anything as he was drafted when he was 17 and a highly touted prospect at age 18-19-20.

Olt hasn't hit at all this year at AAA, and the other potential 3rd baseman probably won't see the majors until 2015.  Baez and Bryant are crushing the ball at AA and A respectively, but Baez might not even be moved to 3rd.  Jeimer Candelario is years away.

I think Vitters has hit well enough, albeit in limited appearances, to earn some ABs in the bigs.  Also, with plenty of options in the pipeline it could potentially be put-up or shut-up time for Vitters by the end of next year.  Vitters also has played a couple games in left and plenty at first, if he can hit major league pitching he could be a nice bench corner infielder / outfielder.

Olt's issues seem more severe i.e. he can't see straight, while Vitters keeps having muscle strain issues which one would hope was just tough year not something that will be chronic.

#15 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

I suspect Vitters future with the Cubs will be as a corner everything bat off the bench, but I would not be surprised to see him get a chance to take the starting left field job in spring training next year (depending on what moves the Cubs make, of course).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).