6 replies to this topic

#1 NathanDonald13

NathanDonald13

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:03 AM

If the Cubs keep Marshall is there a chance he could be a starter or will he stay a reliever?

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Considering Theo's recent statement about Marshall being the best lefty reliever out there I think reliever. Then again he was probably saying that to increase Marshall's trade value.

At the same time, I think Marshall could be one hell of a closer.

#3 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

We hashed all this out on the message board a couple of months ago. Long and short of it is, everybody thinks he has greater value as a reliever. I am in the minority that believes he has the potential to be a solid starter (more valuable than a *great* reliever).

I think the issue does bear revisiting now though, as situations have changed somewhat. It is clear that the Cubs have greater depth in the bullpen than in the rotation. As the market for closers was high, the hope, I think, was that they could move Carlos Marmol, possibly gain some pitching, and move Marshall to the back of the pen. But as the market for Marmol seems to have deflated somewhat, I think that it would be wise for the Cubs to look at conveting some of their depth in the bullpen to starters. Cashner is coming of a shoulder injury, and I don't think they will try Russel again, so that pretty much leaves Samardzia and Marshall. Odds are that Smarsh gets his shot, but the question is, will they give Marsh his too? How much would you love having "Smarsh and Marsh" as your 4-5 starters?

#4 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

If were going for Rhyming combos why not a Marwin/Darwin Double play combo?

But seriously I think Samardzija will go to the rotation and Marshall will stay in the pen.

But I wouldn't be against trading Marshall, because Russel was as good as him in the bullpen last year, so I don't think we would be missing much.

#5 jtfromthed

jtfromthed

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:@tfsmag

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Marshall has been solid for a few seasons now, I'm not sure I'd pick Russel over Marshall. Marshall is more proven, was semi-successful as a starter (so you could stretch him out for spot starts, as compared to Russel's abortion of a career as a starting pitcher). Russel is younger with more of an upside though. Tough call.

#6 Dougy D

Dougy D

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Facebook:Matt Crayne

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

I think that Marshall is the most solid arm in the bullpen. I say trade Russell. One year of Russell being solid doesn't equal what Marshall has done. Besides, if they keep him in the pen, it should prolong his career. I think that the cubs should go the "closer by committee" route. As much as I hate to use that phrase, I think that within any game, there is the right pitching matchup rather than just going with someone that has the title closer.

#7 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

I think that Marshall is the most solid arm in the bullpen. I say trade Russell. One year of Russell being solid doesn't equal what Marshall has done. Besides, if they keep him in the pen, it should prolong his career. I think that the cubs should go the "closer by committee" route. As much as I hate to use that phrase, I think that within any game, there is the right pitching matchup rather than just going with someone that has the title closer.

I tend to agree. Plus, it was brutal last year when Marshall would come in and retire the side in the eighth on, like, 8 pitches. Then they would pull him for Marmol in the 9th, just cause he is the closer. I say, give yourself the freedom to go with the hot hand or the right match up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).