Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

The "I am done with Starlin Castro" bandwagon thread...

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:21 AM

Let me start by saying that I was at the Cincy game where he drove in all of those runs before the hype train had left the station. We knew that we had to take the bad fielding throws with the good contact rate. His numbers were just too impressive to keep him in the minors. He was a younger version of Ryan Theriot and resulted in the trading/booting of both him and Fontenot that year. Just by mentioning that he is from the DR will let everyone know what I could be hinting at, but let me point out that he has declined every year since the year after his call up... It could be something else, but he's sporting a career low in BB% and he will surpass his average K totals this year. The recent bounce-back seemed promising, but I think we've all been exposed to what he is all about for too long (especially to care about his future with this team). There have been too many ball players that deserved the chance to play in a major league stadium, with a stronger work ethic (and better numbers) than Castro to justify his continual apathy (in my mind's eye). 

I have been slowly writing off Starlin Castro in my mind for quite some time. He continues to make boneheaded plays (although they are less frequent) and has started to resemble the free-swinging version of Alfonso Soriano at the plate during this time period and it has resulted in the working of my last nerve. There was a lot of speculation that Theo & Co. had structured the contract extension to make him more attractive to potential trade partners (because of the farm system players that could take his place sooner than later). I can say that I totally buy that now, more so than just being dismissive about it previously. The mental lapses on top of the lack-of-just-getting-on-base has made more than just the regular haters come out of the woodwork now. I think that what Javier Baez brings to the table is worth more than what Starlin has to offer at this point. Even though Castro's errors are down this year, so is his Range Factor. Javier Baez has a higher Range Factor in AA than what Starlin Castro has ever had in his career. This is an important reference point for the FO to think about.

I think Javier Baez has the best chance of skipping AA in favor of the big leagues. I understand that the FO may feel like Kris Bryant may need more time to prove himself, of course it all comes down to what they want to do (so, he might have to linger in the minors a bit more). If they feel like they can get what they need out of moving Castro in a trade during the off season and the whole "change of scenery" argument can get it done, then that gives Baez one year of MLB under his belt before we are truly competitive (the "magic" 2015). Alcantara will be put on the 40-man to protect him from the Rule 5 draft, but I think he spends the majority of 2014 in AAA as Logan Watkins will be on a short leash and tries to prove himself (and that OBP) in a platoon with Barney (that <100 RC+ for Barney ain't cutting it as far as I'm concerned).

Last thought: the two highlighted Castro mental lapses were on the FOX network. Think about that for a sec. At least it was Chris Waltz and Tom Verducci commenting on it this time, rather than the regular douches they have (especially when we play the Cardinals). I also find it weird, the fact that he knows enough English to intelligently say "mental mistake" and I hope he knows what it means and quits using it freely in addressing the media.

#2 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Well written Mike, but I think they brought him up way to early. He spent 2009 in Daytona and Tennesee. In 2010, he went from Tennesee up to Wrigley Field. That's far too little time in the minors. If he had spent 4 years in NCAA ball, maybe he could have come up after such a short time. But his experience before that was the Dominican Summer League and the Rookie League in Arizona.

This whole experience makes a great case for the current FO policy of requiring a certain number of at bats in the minors (I forget how many they said)

I have played on the stage at Hemmens Auditorium (In Elgin, Kane County) and played on the stage at Orchestra Hall on Michigan Avenue. I'm no athlete, but I know what professional preasure is. It's alot different sitting on that stage at 220 South Michigan Avenue.

I hope the FO is very carefull with all these new talents that we're waiting for. I feel for Castro, you can be sure that he is not happy about any of this. Perhaps it's time to move him to an AL team where he can start anew as a DH/utility infileder and get his confidence working. I hope for his sake that they do it, he is fighting too many problems at Wrigley now. These things have a way of spinning out of control.

#3 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

Gross, nobody likes bandwagoners.

#4 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

No reason to be "done" with Castro because even if Castro was having a monster season we would still suck. If we were in playoff contention right now this would be a different story though, but since we're not why not just let Castro play every day and hope it clicks for him?

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Excellent solution, trade Castro while his value is at it's lowest and put Baez at shorstop so he can commit 30-40 errors in each of the next few years. 

#6 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Excuse me for saying it 1lahairfan, but that's a pretty simplistic answer. The types of mistakes that keep happening to him are going to, sooner or later, put his confidence into free fall. Everyone on that team is going to start wincing each time the ball comes to him and he is going to feel it. He needs to go to an environment that is safer for him and start over.

#7 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Excuse me King Jeff, but nowhere in my post did I say bring up Baez now. I seem to recall that I agreed with the current Fo's policy of keeping players in the minor leagues for a log period of time regardless of how well they are doing at the time. It's quite possible that Baex could come up and hit at the major league level now, but the game is far more than just good hitting. I also did say that I believe that the preievious FO brought him up before he was ready and we are today seeing the results of that action.

#8 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

That was probably directed to me, because I said that Javier Baez (out of all of the players in AA) has the best chance to skip AAA and play in the majors next year and get a year under his belt to get used to MLB life and the higher speed of the game through "trial by fire" before we reach the magic competitiveness that is 2015. Basically, that much-exaggerated and very aggressive approach is not likely, but could happen if we were to trade Barney and use Alcantara only vs RHP. A lot of people see Watkins as a utility guy, but I doubt he has much success coming off of the bench.

I confess, I wrote that little manifesto while highly inebriated. I still stand by the heart of the piece. I understand that Castro's young, but at 23, I had performed a few festivals in front of 15,000+ people like it was just another gig (cause I still had to lug my equipment around and deal with horrible monitor mixes). Some people have ice in their veins, others do not. There is a slight adrenaline boost of anxiousness, but in the baseball world, that's what the pregame warm-ups and drills are for... to take that out of you before game time and help your focus.

As for competitiveness, you still need to be professional about your job. Whether you're playing in front of 3000 people in Tampa or 40,000 in New York, whether your team is in playoff contention or playing spoiler, whether you're making $15M or league minimum, the game should be played the same way.

#9 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

You're exactly right, it should. But, sometimes it's still not all that easy. I'm sure you've seen musicians who can nail it in the practiceroom, but up on that big stage, it's another story.
Look at Jake Arrieta, we hope that he is going to come around for us here in Chicago, it just never worked out for him in Baltimore for whatever reason. When you look at how he pitched last time out, you wonder how could it not have worked out there? I hope it does work for him. I think that Castro needs a fresh start somewhere else and starting out in a DH role in the AL could be just what he needs. He's carrying lots of baggage around right now in Chicago.

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

I love how this starts after he makes a bonehead play... why did last nights play make you have to declare this now?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

Just by mentioning that he is from the DR will let everyone know what I could be hinting at, but let me point out that he has declined every year since the year after his call up... It could be something else, but he's sporting a career low in BB% and he will surpass his average K totals this year. 

Actually, I have no idea what you're hinting at by mentioning his country of origin.  You'll need to spell it out for me.

#12 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Just by mentioning that he is from the DR will let everyone know what I could be hinting at, but let me point out that he has declined every year since the year after his call up... It could be something else, but he's sporting a career low in BB% and he will surpass his average K totals this year.

Actually, I have no idea what you're hinting at by mentioning his country of origin.  You'll need to spell it out for me.
Yeah I'd like to hear this as well

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#13 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

It is legal to buy PED's there and players know people who know how to get them shipped once they're in the U.S.. A lot of players use them in hopes of landing a big contract one day and if they do get that contract, they stop using them and start regressing or keep using them and get caught later.

I don't necessarily believe that Castro is one of those players, but it is a possibility and has to be considered.

#14 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

It is legal to buy PED's there and players know people who know how to get them shipped once they're in the U.S.. A lot of players use them in hopes of landing a big contract one day and if they do get that contract, they stop using them and start regressing or keep using them and get caught later.

I don't necessarily believe that Castro is one of those players, but it is a possibility and has to be considered.

Then why are you "hinting" at this with Castro? That's a bold allegation to make on hearsay- PED can be gotten anywhere. It's as easy to get any drugs (legal or illegal) here as it is in a country where is completely legal.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#15 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Are we going to blame his year-long slump on off-the-field issues, then?

Are we going to blame it on our team being noncompetitive?

Are we going to blame it on poor work ethic?

Are we going to blame it on coaching?

Are we going to blame it on his age?

It's as feasible as any of the other excuses being thought of for his decline over the past two years.

He could also just be apathetic after getting a huge contract. His job was done: getting in the majors, getting extended and now it's time to phone it in!

All of these excuses that could be the reality of the situation are reason enough to trade him. Hence, I'm done.

People are wanting Shark to be traded because of one thing, his statements made to the media about being competitive and then people go rambling about getting rid of him... There are many things "wrong" with Castro and everyone wants to defend him because, why? He's young? He could hit his ceiling on another team and you'd feel bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).