#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Since the Cubs have managed to reach a 2013 low of 17 games under .500, and since the only scoreboard watching Cubs fans get to do yet again is at the bottom of the standings, this seems like as good a time as any to bring up this topic.

What, in everyone's opinion, has been the most positive thing about the Chicago Cubs this season - at the MAJOR LEAGUE level.  There are some cool things going on elsewhere in the organization, but sometimes I find it really hard to get amped up about guys that are 2-3 years away that may turn out to be unproductive major league players anyway. So, what has been the most positive thing about the Cubs this season?

The emergence of Nate Schierholtz is pretty high on my list.

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

For me it's how much better the bullpen situation looks heading into next year.  We should be able to field a really strong BP just using the guys we have now.  Add in the 2-3 SP the Cubs will likely add this winter and you suddenly have a really strong pitching staff.

#3 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I've loved watching Navarro. I don't know what it is about him, but he just puts a smile on my face. haha.

Also, Welington Castillo's development has been nice to watch.

#4 someday...2015?

someday...2015?

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

I would say watching Travis Wood establish himself as a bonafied starter is tops on my list. The Feldman trade has impacted the major league team for the better. As jh03 said. Castillo and Navarro have been solid pretty much all year. Lake's suprising start has been fun to watch as well. I would also say the Gregg pickup was a positive... Or a negative. We could of been in the running for Rodon if it weren't for Gregg.

#5 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

As far as on field production, the bullpen the stepping up lately is mine.  With how bad it was at the start of the year compared to now it is a total reversal.   A close second would be how Lake has looked the since being called up.  He has been fun to watch and looks like a possibility to be a starter next year.

#6 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Young Pitching.

Wood is way better than anyone thought. 

In his first two games Arrieta has been the pitcher the the O's thought they had a couple years ago.

Rusin has been a huge surprise in his six starts

The bullpen, that was horrible to start, has gotten younger and way better

Its probably not all sustainable but thats a lot of good to work with.

Castillo and Lake being a close second/third in either order

#7 jkppkj

jkppkj

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Well, we've definitely been in "there's always next year" mode for pretty much the whole season, so for me it's all about who will be playing next year.

True positives:

I like DDJ's consistent approach and quiet, solid, play.  Schierholtz's production has been nice, and Lake is very intriguing, if nothing else he's at least a nice platoon option with Nate and DDJ not hitting against lefties. 

Wellington Castillo looks like a solid option at Catcher, his hitting since the break has resurrected his offensive numbers for the season and given us reason to believe he can add average to above average production to his very solid defense.

The Feldman trade looks like a huge win.  It's only two starts by Arrieta, and Strop did have the one really bad inning plus his control seems like a potential issue, but the early returns have been astounding.  I'm looking forward to Arrieta's starts more than anything right now, to see what value he might add to the rotation next year.

Cynical takes:

I never thought I would see an infield fly rule sacrifice fly, so that was cool.

Cubs pitchers set a major league record in one inning with 5 wild pitches, and Dionner Navarro definitely did his part to help out on the effort so he should get some credit too.  Plus his work behind the plate that inning really makes Wellington look even better.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

#8 mountsalami

mountsalami

Bleacher Bum

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDeep Inside

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Nothing.

Horrific team.

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

True positives:

I like DDJ's consistent approach and quiet, solid, play.  Schierholtz's production has been nice, and Lake is very intriguing, if nothing else he's at least a nice platoon option with Nate and DDJ not hitting against lefties. 

Well there goes that one

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#10 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

#1. Travis Wood's emergence after working out with Cliff Lee during the off season.

#2. Junior Lake getting regular playing time and starting off hot.

#3. Signing Nate Schierholtz and getting regular playing time resulting in a career high in HR.

#4. Picking up Ryan Sweeney off waivers and having him contribute.

#5. Welington Castillo's .350 OBP and improved defense.

#11 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Travis Wood and Nate Schierholtz for sure. I really like getting Jake Arrieta too

- die hard fanclub member #001

#12 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Acquisition of young talent (including Arrieta and Strop) through trades and the "damn the torpedoes" attempt to exploit the international free agent market

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Nothing.

Horrific team.

So, you can't think of anything positive about the Cubs?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 mountsalami

mountsalami

Bleacher Bum

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDeep Inside

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Nothing.

Horrific team.

No. I can't actually.

A large market team like the Cubs should be using their resources to their advantage by doing BOTH. Feilding a competiitive major league team and building the farm at the same time. Not tanking seasons, trading players for prospects, higher draft positioning, and getting some extra pennies to spend internationally.

Unfortunately. This thread is more about sprinkling powdered sugar on a turd.

The only thing positive about this season is that it's just about finished.

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Nothing.

Horrific team.

No. I can't actually.

A large market team like the Cubs should be using their resources to their advantage by doing BOTH. Feilding a competiitive major league team and building the farm at the same time. Not tanking seasons, trading players for prospects, higher draft positioning, and getting some extra pennies to spend internationally.

Unfortunately. This thread is more about sprinkling powdered sugar on a turd.

The only thing positive about this season is that it's just about finished.
So, you have a problem with finding positives in a rebuilding year? Also, you are being a bit disingenuous by saying there is *nothing* to be positive this year.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).