#16 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

I quite a bit younger.. So I've really only watched for the past decade, and before the emergence of Miggy... Pujols was the best hitter I had ever seen. He was the model of consistency, year in and year out. And I hated it because he played for the effing Cards.

Realistically, guys that you are mentioning are better, and I know that from everything I've heard. But, Pujols is the best I've seen. Well, until Miggy turned into this monster he is now.

#17 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Except Poohole is in a nose dive

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#18 someday...2015?

someday...2015?

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Griffey jr for me. I'm taking into account steroids of course. If you exclude the steroid use Bonds is far and away the best I've ever seen. I just love Griffey and respect the hell out of him. The guy put up better numbers then most when he was at a disadvantage through out his career.(he was clean while most were juicing) I don't think I could respect a player more then I did Ken Griffey Jr.

#19 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Except Poohole is in a nose dive

Right. I meant while he was on his run with the Cardinals. I know these are overrated numbers.. but the fact that he hit 30+ homers, 100+ RBI's, and hit over .300 for 11 straight years (and then barely missed it on the 12th, right?) - and was the first player to ever do so - speaks to how consistant he was. Despite how little those numbers can really mean... 

#20 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

My knock on Griffey is longevity when you start talking about careers. He was injured for most of his time with the Reds.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#21 someday...2015?

someday...2015?

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

My knock on Griffey is longevity when you start talking about careers. He was injured for most of his time with the Reds.

Very true. Like I said though, it's more of a respect thing for me. I just imagine what Griffey would of done with steroids and it makes me cringe.

#22 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Very true. Like I said though, it's more of a respect thing for me. I just imagine what Griffy would of done with steroids and it makes me cringe.

It's everyone's presumption that he didn't do anything with steroids. /s

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#23 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

If were talking the best hit tool of the past 25 years, I think Ichiro Suzuki might have a pretty good case.  his extremely low K% and high BABIP is what I look for in guys with great hit tools. Bonds no doubt is the best overall hitter.  

its tough to decide with current players though.    5 years ago, I think anyone could have argued A-Rod was on track to being the greatest, 3 years ago Pujols was the same way.  Now Miguel Cabrera who is coincidentally 3 years younger than pujols is doing the same thing.  it is really impossible to say whether these players will fall off from being legendarily good to merely great or just good.  Even the awe-inspiring players have a hard time keeping up their great level of play for very long.

#24 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Ichiro got a lot of those hits the same way I do in softball--slap it to the left side of the field to exploit the lefty shift and run like hell to first base.  I get a lot of hits that way (I actually went through old scorecards and calculated my batting average--I hit something along the lines of .780 my last healthy season), but I don't consider myself a good hitter because I mostly rely on my sprinting speed to get on base.

The only person that I feel has been omitted from the conversation is Joe Mauer, if we're talking about "hitting" and not "slugging".  Dude won three batting titles playing the most physically demanding position in baseball. His swing is something a beauty to watch.  I bet he puts up even better numbers once they get rid of Morneau and turn him into a full time 1B.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).