4 replies to this topic

#1 Okiecubhawk

Okiecubhawk

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Being a Cub and Royal fan I find it interesting to compare the two.  Last year Hosmer had a horrendous year, a year that is comparable to Rizzo's 2013 season in a lot of ways.  Hosmer has bounced back this year and is having a fine season for a third year player and looks to be in a spot where he may one day live up to his potential.  The common thread to Hosmers 2012 (his first full season) and Rizzo's 2013 (his first full season)?  BABIP.  Hosmer for 2012 put up a .232/.304/.359 with a .255 BABIP.  Rizzon this year has a .232/.325/.437 with a .254 BABIP. Other interesting comparisons are that Rizzo sports a higher walk rate 11.2% to Hosmer's 9.4% for 2012 and a higher ISO .205 to Hosmer's .127 for 2012.  Considering that Hosmer is considered to be having a rebound year that puts him back on track makes me feel better about Rizzo's future.  I often wonder if you asked Royal and Cub fans to swap straight up what the response would be.  For me I think Hosmer probably will put up a higher carrer batting average and slightly higher on base percentage but it appears that Rizzo has greater power and better ability to take a walk.  What will drag down Rizzo's batting and on base averages will be the strikeouts.  However, Rizzo only sports around an 18% K rate which is really not that high when his bloopers are falling and his ground balls have eyes.  What the Cubs need from him are the homers, doubles and walks which all appear to be just fine.  I hate to sound too cliche but I think a lot of Rizzo's troubles this year are bad luck related.  In any case I'm excited to watch both Hosmer and Rizzo develope over the next several seasons and I hope that KC can put together one good run in the playoffs before this window they have (albeit a small window) closes.

#2 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

Honestly, other than the batting averages and BABIP's, I don't see much of a similarity between the two's seasons. 

#3 Okiecubhawk

Okiecubhawk

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Honestly, other than the batting averages and BABIP's, I don't see much of a similarity between the two's seasons. 

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining my premise.  The main thing I was getting at was with identical BABIPS and AVG's Rizzo has a much higher slugging percentage and OBP.  As someone who follows the Royal's closely and listening to how hard Hosmer was criticized last year compared to how he is being praised this year it makes me feel better about Rizzo.  Even with his nightmarishly low AVG and suppressed OBP due to the BABIP he is still having a better season than Hosmer did last year.  After looking at the stats I feel better about Rizzo going forward than I do about Hosmer.

#4 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining my premise.  The main thing I was getting at was with identical BABIPS and AVG's Rizzo has a much higher slugging percentage and OBP.  As someone who follows the Royal's closely and listening to how hard Hosmer was criticized last year compared to how he is being praised this year it makes me feel better about Rizzo.  Even with his nightmarishly low AVG and suppressed OBP due to the BABIP he is still having a better season than Hosmer did last year.  After looking at the stats I feel better about Rizzo going forward than I do about Hosmer.

That makes a lot more sense. I agree with that. I think Rizzo is in much better shape than what Hosmer was, after last year. Rizzo's been good, despite being unlucky. While Hosmer just wasn't very good at all, last year.

#5 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

I think the take home message is a player can have a down year and making rash judgments off it are a mistake. Rizzo approach at the plate has looked fine all year and Rizzo is in the top 10 in homeruns and top 5 in doubles for 1B.  On top of that Rizzo has played great defense at 1st.  I have no problems with how Rizzo has played this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).