Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Are you willing to give Sveum another chance?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

It is not a priority for me, because as Hans mentioned, most managers do pretty much the same stuff.  But when Dale led off Barney, I was done with him.  In no scenario, at any level, is that smart.  It shows a lack of understanding of probabilities and I would have fired him that day unless he had one hell of an explanation waiting for me.

#17 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about: Rizzo is batting in the three hole tonight. Last week we got fed some bullshit about how he's better off in the two hole because it's a lower leverage situation and there wouldn't be as much pressure on him to produce RBIs while at the plate.  He went 7-24 batting second. For five games.  I guess he's all fixed and ready to face pressure again.

#18 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about: Rizzo is batting in the three hole tonight. Last week we got fed some bullshit about how he's better off in the two hole because it's a lower leverage situation and there wouldn't be as much pressure on him to produce RBIs while at the plate.  He went 7-24 batting second. For five games.  I guess he's all fixed and ready to face pressure again.

Yeah, holy shit, god forbid that something causes the manager to reevaluate a previous position.  He doesn't owe you an explanation.

But since you asked, here's his full quote re: Rizzo's batting position:

For the third straight game, Anthony Rizzo was batting second for the Cubs on Friday. How much longer does manager Dale Sveum plan to keep Rizzo there?

"I don't know," Sveum said, chuckling. "It worked for one day. I wasn't going to change it [Thursday], and I'm not going to judge what anybody did off [Stephen] Strasburg. We were fortunate to score four earned runs off him in nine innings."

On Wednesday, in Rizzo's first game batting second, he delivered two home runs and three RBIs. He followed that by going 0-for-6 Thursday, but four of his at-bats were against the Nationals' Strasburg.

Rizzo entered Friday's opener against the Padres batting .229 overall and .162 in August. Even more troubling, and one of the reasons he was moved up in the order, is that he was batting .173 with runners in scoring position.  "The average [is down] and obviously there are some problems with men in scoring position," Sveum said of the first baseman. "It's his first full year in the big leagues. Sometimes we forget about that. Obviously, he came up last year and did a nice job, but we forget this is his first full year with pressure on him.

#19 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

There is a pattern of inconsistency between what the manager will say one day and do the next. That is not disputable.  

Thanks for letting me know he doesn't need to offer me an explanation though; my delusions of grandeur were kicking in again and I thought I was Sveum's boss.  Luckily I have you to keep me grounded, TWC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).