Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

I've decided I'm the kind of person who doesn't like things the way they are, like, ever. I'm always looking for ways to mess around with what's going on and since baseball is one of those things I think about, often obsessively, I have been messing around with how I would realign MLB. It comes down to this idea, which I think is a great idea and which you will all mostly think is a terrible idea because, internet.

I'd like to see MLB eliminate the leagues. Instead move to three Divisions with 10 teams each. Yes we would have a DH universally. I would then split the teams up thus:

East:
Miami, Tampa, NY Yankees, NY Mets, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Boston, Atlanta

Midwest:
Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, St. Louis, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Cubs, White Sox, Toronto, Detroit

West:
Houston, Texas, Seattle, Colorado, San Francisco, Oakland, Dodgers, Angels, San Diego, Arizona

The schedule would look like this: Each team would play 11 games against 8 of their Division opponents and 14 games against 1 preset team (in each of the above list those teams are next to each other, e.g. Miami/Tampa etc.). Each team would play one 3 game series against 19 of the teams in other Divisions (alternating home and away each year) and 6 games against one other team from another division (random).

The top 3 teams in each Division would make the playoffs. The team with the 10th best record and not in the playoffs would play the team with the 11th best record not in the playoffs (Wild Cards!) in a one game playoff for the 10th seed. Then the bottom 4 seeds play a three game series to see which 2 teams join the top 6 seeds for the quarterfinal round of 8 (four 5 game series). Semi finals are then 7 game series and on to the World Series.

Edited by Patrick, 26 August 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

So you're giving your six best teams three or four days off before starting their playoff run?  I'm not sure how well that will sell.

I'm not sure how well putting all the same city teams in the same league division will work either.  If the Mets are terrible and the Yankees are good, and they play the exact same schedule because they are in the same division, wouldn't non-die-hard fans just go to Yankee games and watch better baseball?

#3 JungleDrew

JungleDrew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

How about this...

Keep the two leagues, but add one more team to each. Then do four divisions of four teams each. In the process redistribute five teams across the nation.  So, there would in essence be seven new teams. 

NL East: Mets, Phillies, Pirates, & Nationals

NL South: Marlins, Braves, Charlotte, Louisville or Nashville, & San Juan PR or Mexico City

NL Central: Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, & Reds

NL West: Dodgers, Giants, Dbacks, & Rockies

AL East: Red Sox, Yankees, Baltimore, Blue Jays

AL South: Rangers, New Orleans, Austin, Oklahoma City

AL Central: Tigers, Indians, White Sox, Indianapolis

AL West: Mariners, Twins, Anaheim, & Portland, Las Vegas, or Albuquerque

Teams Staying Put: The oldest teams would mostly stay where they are. Most of the classic rivals are still in the same divisions (Cubs/Cards, BoSox/Yankees, Dodgers/Giants).  The three biggest cities keep 2 teams each (although I'd be fine with The Angels moving). It realigns the Phillies and Pirates back into the same division, as I feel they are more natural rivals.

Teams on the Move:  I would move most of the lowest attendance teams. The worst that would happen by moving them is they still have low attendance. Florida only needs one team (if any), I chose the Marlins to stay; they are in the larger city, they just built a new stadium, and, as I live in Florida, I can go see the Cubs play them every year. California would lose at least 2 teams, and on the chopping block would be Oakland and San Diego. The Astros should shift over to Austin.  And the Royals should also move as the Missouri already has too many teams with the Cardinals. As I mentioned above I would also possibly move the Angles, but Im iffy on it, they are currently 8th in attendance, but in third place for California teams.

New Markets: My top new team(s) would be in the Latin Market.  It would be great if Mexico had a team, but the logistics could be difficult, so Puerto Rico would make more sense and Puerto Rico having a team could help increase attendance in Miami as they would now have a natural rival.   Atlanta would need a natural rival, so to me Nashville, Louisville or Charlotte would all be good choices. I don’t know if a Vegas team could work with all the sports betting, so I would lean toward Portland (natural rivalry with Seattle), but if there were an Albuquerque team I would definitely have my new AL team. Indianapolis being added to the AL central I feel would create the best 4 team rivalry division. I feel Austin might be more of a baseball town than Houston is. New Orleans & Oklahoma City are mostly based off location, and could easily be interchanged with other cities throughout the South and Southwest.

Each team would then play 16 games against the three teams in its own division (8 home/8away, 48 Games), 12 games against each team in 2 other same league divisions (6 home/6 away, 96 games), 3 games against each team in the last same league division (3 Home or Away, 12 Games) and 6 Interleague games against one (random) team (3 before the allstar break, 3 after, 3 home 3 away). We would still have ten playoff teams, four division winners and one wild card from each league.  The wild card would have a three game series against the division winner with the worst record, then a 5 game LDS, 7 Game LCS, and 7 Game World Series scheduled with minimal days off so each team really needs 5 starting pitchers.

And, most importantly, no DH for the NL.

#4 Okiecubhawk

Okiecubhawk

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

I've decided I'm the kind of person who doesn't like things the way they are, like, ever. I'm always looking for ways to mess around with what's going on and since baseball is one of those things I think about, often obsessively, I have been messing around with how I would realign MLB. It comes down to this idea, which I think is a great idea and which you will all mostly think is a terrible idea because, internet.

I'd like to see MLB eliminate the leagues. Instead move to three Divisions with 10 teams each. Yes we would have a DH universally. I would then split the teams up thus:

East:
Miami, Tampa, NY Yankees, NY Mets, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Boston, Atlanta

Midwest:
Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, St. Louis, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Cubs, White Sox, Toronto, Detroit

West:
Houston, Texas, Seattle, Colorado, San Francisco, Oakland, Dodgers, Angels, San Diego, Arizona

The schedule would look like this: Each team would play 11 games against 8 of their Division opponents and 14 games against 1 preset team (in each of the above list those teams are next to each other, e.g. Miami/Tampa etc.). Each team would play one 3 game series against 19 of the teams in other Divisions (alternating home and away each year) and 6 games against one other team from another division (random).

The top 3 teams in each Division would make the playoffs. The team with the 10th best record and not in the playoffs would play the team with the 11th best record not in the playoffs (Wild Cards!) in a one game playoff for the 10th seed. Then the bottom 4 seeds play a three game series to see which 2 teams join the top 6 seeds for the quarterfinal round of 8 (four 5 game series). Semi finals are then 7 game series and on to the World Series.

Swap Pittsburgh and Toronto and I like this idea.  I especially like the top  two seeds getting extra time off before they start their playoff runs.

How about this...

Keep the two leagues, but add one more team to each. Then do four divisions of four teams each. In the process redistribute five teams across the nation.  So, there would in essence be seven new teams. 

NO....there are already too many teams. 

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

NL East: Mets, Phillies, Pirates, & Nationals - Decent Division

NL South: Marlins, Braves, Charlotte, Louisville or Nashville, & San Juan PR or Mexico City - I'm not sure the Braves would ever miss the playoffs again facing the Marlins and a couple tiny market teams.  Although, travelling to Mexico City would be brutal.

NL Central: Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, & Reds - Well, at least the Brewers suck.

NL West: Dodgers, Giants, Dbacks, & Rockies - This one is good

AL East: Red Sox, Yankees, Baltimore, Blue Jays - Toronto with the hose job

AL South: Rangers, New Orleans, Austin, Oklahoma City - Same issue as the NL South.  Moving Houston to Austin wouldn't work and Texas immediately becomes perennial favorites

AL Central: Tigers, Indians, White Sox, Indianapolis - Poor Indy.

AL West: Mariners, Twins, Anaheim, & Portland, Las Vegas, or Albuquerque - And, managing YOUR Las Vegas Rollers - PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETE ROSE!

#6 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

I agree with Luke that it's too much down time.  Why not just top 3 in each division and the best 4th place?

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

SEA > MN = 1500+ miles

SEA > ANA = 1200 miles

SEA > Albuquerque = 1200+ miles

Brutal.

#8 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

SEA > MN = 1500+ miles

SEA > ANA = 1200 miles

Brutal.

Psshhh, with these new high speed trains they're coming out with, that will be a 30 minute drive. Hour tops.  

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

SEA > MN = 1500+ miles

SEA > ANA = 1200 miles

Brutal.

I will note that it's not that much different than what Seattle currently has to deal with, but at least they have Oakland at only 800 miles away.

#10 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

ALE: Bos, NY, Tor, Baltimore, Philly

ALC: Tigers, Indians, CIN, CWS, Pitt

ALW: Seattle, SF, Oak, Colorado, LAD

NLE: Miami, TB, Atlanta, NYM, Wash

NLC: KC, StL, CHC, Twins, MIL

NLW: TX, LAA, SDP, AZ, Houston

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

tha fuck?

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

tha fuck?

Radical, BOOM.

#13 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Lets just put the Cubs in the NL Central alone so they make the playoffs every year

#14 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

So you're giving your six best teams three or four days off before starting their playoff run?  I'm not sure how well that will sell.

I'm not sure how well putting all the same city teams in the same league division will work either.  If the Mets are terrible and the Yankees are good, and they play the exact same schedule because they are in the same division, wouldn't non-die-hard fans just go to Yankee games and watch better baseball?

Well, I'm not sure that you would need to give all of the six best teams 3 or 4 days (which is not that rare after the first round). The top 2 teams would get 3 or 4 days, but there's not reason 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 can't be played while 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 are playing their 3 game series. 1 and 2 get the winners of those games. But yeah, I can see your point. We could just lose the 11 v 10 for the 10 seed which would kill a day.

I also don't see how being in the same division would increase what you are describing. Why would the casual baseball fan be MORE likely to choose the good Yankees over the bad Mets because they are in the same division? What's stopping that from happening now? Remember the Yankees and Mets would play each other 14 times a season in my plan, which I think would actually increase attendance no matter the strength of each team. I would imagine the last three or four games of the season would be reserved for those "rival" games.

#15 jkppkj

jkppkj

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

How about we take the weighted average of the teams' revenues for the last 5 years to place teams into changing divisions to group the haves and the have-nots?

3 x 10 team divisions.  High, mid and low revenue,  the Wall-Street Divsion, Main-Street Division and Wal-Mart Greeter Divison. Revenues are recalculated at the end of each year and teams reassigned to divisions accordingly.  

There will be an 8 team playoff.  As the rich deserve more and the poor less automatic playoff bids will favor the higher revenue teams. The top 3 from Wall Street, top 2 from Main Street and the Wal-Mart winner get berths then get to 8 by adding two wild cards for the next best two records

There, and I don't even need the internet to tell me it's stupid.

BOOOM - Radical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).