#16 JungleDrew

JungleDrew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

How about this...

Keep the two leagues, but add one more team to each. Then do four divisions of four teams each. In the process redistribute five teams across the nation.  So, there would in essence be seven new teams. 

NO....there are already too many teams. 

I don't think there are too many teams, I just think some of them are just in the wrong places. Baseball saturation in California is ridiculous.

AL West: Mariners, Twins, Anaheim, & Portland, Las Vegas, or Albuquerque

SEA > MN = 1500+ miles

SEA > ANA = 1200 miles

SEA > Albuquerque = 1200+ miles

Brutal.

I will note that it's not that much different than what Seattle currently has to deal with, but at least they have Oakland at only 800 miles away.

That was part of the reason for possibly including Portland... but in reality it isn't the Cubs making those trips a bunch of times, so who cares, let the other teams have their issues.

Also I like the Idea of doing opening day in different countries occasionally, I say what ever team wins the World Baseball Classic gets to host opening day or the all star game or something like that.

#17 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

No way in hell they open up a franchise in Las Vegas.  Baseball wants to disassociate itself from its dark gambling past.  I'd put money on it

#18 JungleDrew

JungleDrew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

No way in hell they open up a franchise in Las Vegas.  Baseball wants to disassociate itself from its dark gambling past.  I'd put money on it

I know, I somewhat caveated that in my original post. I only listed them because they are a city with a large enough population to support a major league team... Portland is the best choice of the three I listed... but I would still like to see Albuquerque get a team... It's the Weird Al Fan in me....

#19 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

I know, I somewhat caveated that in my original post. I only listed them because they are a city with a large enough population to support a major league team... Portland is the best choice of the three I listed... but I would still like to see Albuquerque get a team... It's the Weird Al Fan in me....

http://www.sportsone...ticle/54705446/

#20 JungleDrew

JungleDrew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

http://www.sportsone...ticle/54705446/

Interesting read...

My radical change idea is something a former co-worker and I came up with a couple of years ago. And at the time we were set on Vegas... after determining that Vegas probably isn't a place for a major league team I checked a list of the largest US cities without a team and Portland seemed the best fit for Location and ability to support a team, I didn't really read up on the cities themselves.  I just figured I'm a craft beer guy who loves baseball, so I figured a craft beer city would follow suit.

Speaking of craft beers, is anyone else here a World of Beer Loyalty member? 

#21 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I also don't see how being in the same division would increase what you are describing. Why would the casual baseball fan be MORE likely to choose the good Yankees over the bad Mets because they are in the same division? What's stopping that from happening now? 

Different road teams.

This has been lessened with imbalanced schedules and interleague play, not completely.

Let's say it's Sept 1 2015.  The Cubs are on pace for 110 wins, and the White Sox have won exactly 14 games all season.  Say you live in Chicago and want to see Mike Trout play.  Looks like you're buying a White Sox ticket.  If the Cubs and Sox were in the same division playing the same schedule, you could just screw the terrible White Sox and wait for Trout to visit Wrigley.  And, unless you were a die hard Sox fan, you probably would.  No one in their right mind would want to see a 14 win clown show over a 110 win behemoth.  But they might want to see the opposition for that clown show, and that's the point.

If the Cubs and Sox are in the same division, there is no reason for anyone to go watch the terrible team (other than die hard fans).  If they are in different divisions and different leagues, there is, and that difference is the different teams that pass through each side of town.

#22 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

I also don't see how being in the same division would increase what you are describing. Why would the casual baseball fan be MORE likely to choose the good Yankees over the bad Mets because they are in the same division? What's stopping that from happening now? 

Different road teams.

This has been lessened with imbalanced schedules and interleague play, not completely.

Let's say it's Sept 1 2015.  The Cubs are on pace for 110 wins, and the White Sox have won exactly 14 games all season.  Say you live in Chicago and want to see Mike Trout play.  Looks like you're buying a White Sox ticket.  If the Cubs and Sox were in the same division playing the same schedule, you could just screw the terrible White Sox and wait for Trout to visit Wrigley.  And, unless you were a die hard Sox fan, you probably would.  No one in their right mind would want to see a 14 win clown show over a 110 win behemoth.  But they might want to see the opposition for that clown show, and that's the point.

If the Cubs and Sox are in the same division, there is no reason for anyone to go watch the terrible team (other than die hard fans).  If they are in different divisions and different leagues, there is, and that difference is the different teams that pass through each side of town.

Good point, didn't think about that but really a 14 win team isn't going to get that much attention any way you slice it. Easy enough fix: as teams only play 1 series with every extradivisional opponent (alternating home teams yearly) just don't schedule "rival" teams the same in any year. If the Dodgers come to Wrigley in 2015, the Angels come to the Cell. Also, playing 7 games at home against your "rival" as opposed to 2 today certainly helps those attendance issues a little.

#23 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Also, if you're the Colorado Rockies for instance you now can go 5-6 years without hosting the Yankees, now you get them every other year. Conversely if you're the Mariners you lose the Yankees every other year but you pick up the Dodgers or Cubs or Braves or whatever.

#24 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Can't we all just admit my plan is flawless and start a petition drive or something to get it implemented?

#25 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Can't we all just admit my plan is flawless and start a petition drive or something to get it implemented?

Well, Paddy, I'm convinced.

#26 pepperfoot

pepperfoot

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

im not sure about this plan...letting them rest for four weeks will hurt there game.

--

nfl logo

#27 Patrick

Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

im not sure about this plan...letting them rest for four weeks will hurt there game.

Yeah, 4 WEEKS off would be bad. 4 DAYS is the absolute most we're talking here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).