• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

One year ago tomorrow:

Rule 5 Draft is Much Ado About Nothing for Cubs

I direct you to the two (TWO!) comments. The first from the esteemed (and MIA) pfk, and the other from Toosh (née Ray-Bob).

I'll admit, paging forward and backwards from that day's posts made me a bit nostalgic. Which is unfair to Ace and his efforts, I know (I hope they're paying dividends, or at least the electricity bill), but the front page certainly wasn't the morass that it has been of late.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

It's insane how quickly it's grown, I've been trying to find when I first posted which might be like Feb 2011 but I think it's sooner if anyone finds me out there please let me know when.

It is nostalgic when I remember how a conversation could be continued over the course of a day between two or three of us, but now it's all about who has the time sit in their computer and get into arguments but that is growth, and I glad to remember those meager days. I'm sure eventually Brett will be faced with the difficult task and decision to start to "police" and "moderate" some of the posts.

I'm so proud (although it's not mine to be proud of but I'm also proud of the kids I teach eventhough they are not my kids) of what this has become and hope one day the "founding" posters can get together and relive the meager glory days of BN.

Keep up the great writing Brett, and enjoy the success.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

I would be lying if I said I was thrilled at the state of the comments. I think they're better than many other places out there, but ... it's not ideal. I would also be lying if I said I'm sprinting to squash it all, though. Therein lies the conflict of interest and the delicate balance - participation is good for the success of the site, but bad participation is, well, bad.

The last three months of growth have been absurd. Much faster than I anticipated, and much faster than I could reasonably implement trip wires where necessary. Hard decisions lie ahead.

I tend to think three things, though:

(1) High traffic times like the Epstein drama and, now, the meat of the offseason necessarily bring in a number of "drive-by" users, many of whom leave comments. That will ebb in the coming weeks. Inevitably, it will flow again at some point.

(2) I think it is reasonable to say that, but for two particular commenters - whom I will not name - the comments would be in much better shape. What exactly to do about that, I still don't know. Again, hard decisions lie ahead.

(3) It's always been my hope that the message board could be a bit of a more "tight-knit" community like the blog used to be. It's much easier to police, is highly unlikely to have the "drive-by"contingent, and, to date ... it consists almost exclusively of great folks. And, frankly, I want a place where I can interact on a more personal level with people like you two. The blog was probably always going to outlive being "that place."

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Oh Brett you and your patient logic, NOW IS THE TIME FOR BOLD MOVES!

But your right about the ebb and flow and watching other blogs many of "trolls" come and go, but things will never be the same but that is always the case with revisionist history.

Keep it up I will always be following and will continue to be a presence especially on the Message Board, hell it seems like a decade ago when we were testing the board and look at it now.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

While over the last few weeks I've been thinking about starting a thread here specifically about the front page comments ("What the hell is going on?!"), I'll admit that I didn't really mean this to turn into that discussion. I just had a hankering to look back and see what was going on in these parts a year ago, and was tickled that both pfk's and Toosh's comments were Epstein-related.

In fact, I never really felt right about starting a discussion specifically about it, even though there have been grumblings here and there. Like, "Ace, I don't wanna come to your BBQs anymore 'cause your neighbors suck, even though I know that you can't uninvite them." Just seemed like a shitty, pointless discussion. I *know* you don't like them, why bother mentioning it?

But the cat being out of the bag and all...

I would be lying if I said I was thrilled at the state of the comments. I think they're better than many other places out there, but ... it's not ideal. I would also be lying if I said I'm sprinting to squash it all, though. Therein lies the conflict of interest and the delicate balance - participation is good for the success of the site, but bad participation is, well, bad.

Frankly, I don't think you should squash any of it. Trolls don't troll forever. What's frustrating is the interruption(s), and the garbage that comes of those interruptions. It takes a lot of self-restraint from everyone -- and I know I'm as guilty as anyone in feeding the trolls.

I think there's still a lot of great discussions and info in those comments. It's just getting harder to find it.

The last three months of growth have been absurd. Much faster than I anticipated, and much faster than I could reasonably implement trip wires where necessary. Hard decisions lie ahead.

I tend to think three things, though:

(1) High traffic times like the Epstein drama and, now, the meat of the offseason necessarily bring in a number of "drive-by" users, many of whom leave comments. That will ebb in the coming weeks. Inevitably, it will flow again at some point.

For sure. If it was early August and we were 15 games back, this place would be pretty tepid... but that's when we would subconsciously resort to beer discussions. Maybe the difference between us then and the trolls now is that signal-to-noise ratio of our nonsense posts to actually baseball comments was higher -- or we were adult enough to know when to switch between the two.

(3) It's always been my hope that the message board could be a bit of a more "tight-knit" community like the blog used to be. It's much easier to police, is highly unlikely to have the "drive-by"contingent, and, to date ... it consists almost exclusively of great folks. And, frankly, I want a place where I can interact on a more personal level with people like you two. The blog was probably always going to outlive being "that place."

For sure. I can only imagine how finely ground-down your teeth got when we *ahem* digressed a bit from the topic we were ostensibly commenting on. I'm happy to have the Message Board, though. I'm just so used to visiting the site and reading not just your posts but also all of the comments.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

TWC you comment about our ability to switch between baseball and randomness was one of the sweeter aspect of the "Golden Years" it was where we fostered friendship, developed some nice inside jokes, and really knew each other (as best you can since we've never seen each other or even know each other names) but we will have a lot to discuss if we ever meet face to face at Brett's house- we do have an open invitation right Brett?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

I rarely read the comments on the blog anymore. Not because of trolling, just because they tend to blow up in a couple hours and I dont have time in my day to read through all 94 comments about Dale Sveum's hemorrhoids.

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

... but we will have a lot to discuss if we ever meet face to face at Brett's house- we do have an open invitation right Brett?

Yeah, when *is* that BBQ?

#9 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

I wish I started posting here sooner. I'll definitely be concentrating more on the message board. Much nicer people over here.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

... but we will have a lot to discuss if we ever meet face to face at Brett's house- we do have an open invitation right Brett?

Whenever folks make their way to Columbus.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

Whenever folks make their way to Columbus.

That's only 5 hours from here and 3hrs from Detroit, if you ever see a goat bahhhhing on your doorstep your know the BBQ has begun

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#12 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

I was in Columbus a few months ago. Well, I drove through it. Didn't really seem like my kind of place.

#13 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

I understand those who say they don't have time to read the comments on the front page anymore, it has grown sooo fast! Brett puts up an article and within a half hour we are on page 2!

The Message Board makes for a nice little refuge from the craziness, however it is important for all of us to try to continue making a positive impact on the front page as well.

As always Brett, keep up the great work.

P.S. Maybe this spring I will load my smoker in the car, drive to Columbus and we can BBQ a goat. :lol:
Please don't feed the psychos.

#14 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

I was in Columbus a few months ago. Well, I drove through it. Didn't really seem like my kind of place.

Unless you're married, with kids, want an affordable place to live, and are otherwise bound to the area by family, it's not anyone's kind of place.

#15 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

I can still remember when I found BN and there were like 10-15 people posting on a given article. It blows my mind eveytime I log onto BN and see 70+ comments on an article. Keep up the good work feeding my Cubs addiction Brett (BN is the Cubs fan equivalent of Heroin lol)
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).