#1 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

So, I was looking at Bryants numbers after reading Luke's minor league report and the guy is tearing it up Baez style in A+.  I know he is fast tracked but it seems that 2016 is his projected big league debut (OK he was drafted like yesterday but its fun to talk).  He has spent very little time at his previous two stops and I was thinking AA might be reasonable to start off next year and AAA could be on the horizon.  He's batting .341 with 3 HR in 12 games.  Now his BABIP is super high but it has to be if you're hitting .341.  His K% is too high(~29%) and his BB% is too low (~4%) but I think he's showing he can hit at this level so why not move him up.

Small sample size you say.  Ok, but his stop at A- was only 18 games and there are 6 games in the regular season (7 if you count a PPDand anywhere from two to weight playoff games.  If his K rate drops a little, in say 10 games getting down to 20-25% is possible,  and he gets a few more BB he could be ready to start next year at AA.  What would be stopping him?

#2 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@xruben31
  • Facebook:Xavier Ruben Rice
  • LocationStreator, Illinois

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

If he came up in 2016 that would mean he's probably playing pretty bad baseball. I think he could be up in late 2014, you gotta remember this guy came from college so his time-table wont be as long.

#3 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

If he came up in 2016 that would mean he's probably playing pretty bad baseball. I think he could be up in late 2014, you gotta remember this guy came from college so his time-table wont be as long.

I think this would have him starting next year at A+ moving to AA.  Starting 2015 in AA and moving to  AAA, or starting in AAA and maybe getting a late season look and having his rookie season in 2016.  That's not unreasonably slow.  Especially considering the year your drafted isn't a full minor league season.  He would be a 24 year old in his first full season which is about the average age for a rookie

#4 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

I think this would have him starting next year at A+ moving to AA.  Starting 2015 in AA and moving to  AAA, or starting in AAA and maybe getting a late season look and having his rookie season in 2016.  That's not unreasonably slow.  Especially considering the year your drafted isn't a full minor league season.  He would be a 24 year old in his first full season which is about the average age for a rookie

I think 2016 is a little too far for his debut. He crushed pitching through 3 levels this year and although I think he starts at AA, if he starts at A+ I don't think he'll be there long. Scouts said he could make a debut this season, which won't happen, but shows he's advanced for where he is at. Out of the "big 4" I would think Almora is the most likely to spend the most time in the minors because of age and missing alot of time this year due to injury. If everyone pans out like expected, I would think all 4 would be up by September 2015

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Bryant is walking a lot and crushing the ball when he's being pitched to... he needs at bats to see nastier stuff that older, veteran pitchers use called "out" pitches. I.e., Junior Lake can crush a fastball or a hanging whatever, but he looked over-matched when Kershaw threw him 2 straight breaking balls and missed both of them badly.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

If he's not starting out next season in AA I'm going to be surprised.  As it's been hammered over and over again he's an advanced college player, he's got the experience he just needs to adjust to hitting with a wood bat and seeing better pitching.  He'll get some of that in the AFL at least.

#7 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Bryant has to start in AA next year.  I could see Baez starting in AAA. Soler and Almora in Daytona with Vogelbach. Should be fun. 

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

I still think Baez will start the year in AA, especially if he has a killer ST just to make sure he keeps applying the new approach at the plate. 

This will allow the Cubs to bring him up at the end of April if they feel they need him for 2014, or mid-June/later if someone else is filling in at 3rd well. 

#9 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

My best guess (position players only): 

AAA: Alcantara, Olt, Baez, Vitters, Jackson

AA: Bryant, Soler, Villanueva

A+: Almora, Vogelbach

Baez starting off in AA wouldn't surprise me either, but if he hits in the AFL and spring training AAA is not a stretch either.  

Bryant AA because he is also in the AFL this winter.  I could see as a mid 2015 call up.  Spends first half of 2014 in AA (gives Cubs time to figure out Olt) and second half in AAA.  Then spends the first half of 2015 in AAA before being called up. 

Soler is in AA because he is on the 40 man roster and his number in A+ were good enough for a promotion with in a month if he didn't go down with the injury.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).