Recent Topics

Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

September Roster expansion...is this idea crazy?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I know that the MLB enacts change about as quickly as Congress does, and there might be some CBA implications to this idea; Why not have expanded rosters in April and not September?

Here are some of my reasons:

-why allow guys(called up after September 1st) who aren't allowed to play in the postseason to have an any impact on meaningful games in September.

- the league plays by one set of rules up to August 31st, and then changes for the important last month. Let's just say the Reds are playing a huge game this September, and it's a late inning situation, and a tie game...they use Über speedster Billy Hamilton to pinch run for one of their catchers (a potentially game altering move)...they can make this move in September because they have an extra catcher due to expanded rosters...yet at no other time throughout the year would they be able to make this move.

Am I wrong to think this is silly?

Expanded rosters in April would offer many benefits.
-It would allow managers to be extremely cautious with pitching.

-I think you would end up with better teams at the end of the month, prepared better for the long grind of the season. Thus I think you might see tighter races and few teams almost out of it by the end of April.

This idea is probably way too much for Emperor Bud-patine and the rest of the Galactic Senate(I.e. owners)...

Just an idea I had here on Saturday morning August 31st.

@BBCG104Reasons

#2 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

This is an idea I've seen before and one I'd be in favor of.  It also makes needing to make roster decisions based off of spring training less important.  A manager would have another month to decide his bench.

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I would actually like to see major league rosters expand.

I wonder if MLB put the offer on the table, if the Union would agree to 30 man rosters, no September callups, and no DH.  Most of the extra 5 players for much of the season would be veteran types, I think.  No smart team is going to call up a prospect to ride the bench from May through August.  

I think it would also create more of a career path for more one-dimensional players like Campana or Vogelbach (should he make the majors).  Campana as a pinch runner in the 30th spot on the roster is much more attractive to most teams than Campana as a pinch runner in the 25th spot on the roster, I think.

Edit:  I think I'd pitch an expansion of the 40 man roster to 45 or 50 at the same time.

Edited by Luke, 31 August 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#4 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Edit:  I think I'd pitch an expansion of the 40 man roster to 45 or 50 at the same time.

Whether or not you expand rosters, many teams would carry multiple Rule 5 picks on their 30-man roster and sit them most of the time (thereby slowing or ruining their development) just to steal fringe prospects from other teams. The Astros and Marlins would probably carry five or more of those guys. There's really not much need for a 26th man (spare reliever for blowout games, extra pinch-hitter or designated pinch-runner), let alone a 30th man.

And while I doubt that the Players' Association would give up the DH even for the five extra roster slots per team (all at or near the minimum salary), you can bet the AL owners would veto your idea, particularly if they had Pujols or Fielder on their roster.

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

I would be fine with DH if they went back to no inter league play....never happen....

I would like 30 man because I don't like that teams now carry 12 or 13 pitchers...leaves very little bench...

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'd be in favor of tossing the Rule 5 draft as well.  Make players who signed at age 18 or older free agents after five years, and age 17 or younger free agents after six years.  Or, if that is too radical, restricted free agents in that the team has the right to match any contract they are offered for a year or two once that limit is reached.  That would have the same practical effect that the Rule 5 draft has now without any of the roster games the Rule 5 results in.

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

This will also ruffle the baseball purists feathers- they will complain that by adding players (mainly veterans), players will have a better chance of reaching those HOF milestones like 3000 hits or 300 wins. It's too radical for the current regime but worth considering.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#8 jkppkj

jkppkj

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

Most of this is just silly to me.  Logan Watkins got like 10 ABs last month being the 25th man on the roster.  I don't see any value in adding more guys to the roster unless you really want a team to be able to carry Tony Campana just so he can pinch run.  The only thing I kind of agree with is that it would be nice to see expanded rosters in April.  I get why the rosters are expanded in September, to me if you're not in the playoff race you can add players to get a little more info about what you want to do with the upcoming Rule 5 decisions, and if you're locked into a playoff spot you can give guys rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).