MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

the thing is, calling those particular two out only makes it worse.

That's why ignore completely is the only thing to do, it's hard but ignore completely.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#47 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Twitter:@hawkeyedsm
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

Is it bad that I wish they would give me a reason to pull the trigger on a ban of sorts?

You are more patient and understanding than the rest of us. I would have figured you had plenty of reasons by now. You're like some kind of Yoda or something. Don't know how you do it.

#48 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Is it bad that I wish they would give me a reason to pull the trigger on a ban of sorts?

You are more patient and understanding than the rest of us. I would have figured you had plenty of reasons by now. You're like some kind of Yoda or something. Don't know how you do it.

From my perspective, what makes that hard is that neither is abusive (unlike this morning's drive-by trash comment). They're both just obstreperous jerks. While Ace is well within his rights to ban anyone for anything (no, it's not a 1st Amendment issue), I can imagine he's leery of setting a precedent, especially one that hinges ultimately on little more than whim.

#49 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

I don't remember exactly what it was, but BN made a crack directly aimed at Brett last week. If it were up to me, that would have been when I break out the Ban Hammer. Luckily for him, Brett is much more tolerant than I am.

DH is a lunatic, but he is a fairly benign lunatic. I can not say what I think of the other one in public.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#50 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

DH is a lunatic, but he is a fairly benign lunatic. I can not say what I think of the other one in public.

Yup. For a long time I just thought he was making jokes. Then I realized he was just being an ass. It's a fine line. He crossed it. Like, months ago.

#51 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Twitter:@hawkeyedsm
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

From my perspective, what makes that hard is that neither is abusive (unlike this morning's drive-by trash comment). They're both just obstreperous jerks. While Ace is well within his rights to ban anyone for anything (no, it's not a 1st Amendment issue), I can imagine he's leery of setting a precedent, especially one that hinges ultimately on little more than whim.

I suppose one of us could sign out, and sign back in as one of the two d bags and make some crack about how Ace's mom? Just lookin for options.

#52 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hahaha. Unfortunately, Ace knows our IP addys.

Which is really bad, 'cause he knows how frequently I lurk in the shadows here.

#53 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

It's been damn near impossible to not respond, especially since some of the comments were personal and directed at me. Brett I appreciate you standing up for me. Honestly it's because of my respect for you and this website that I didn't go all crazy fucking white girl on him.

As I said before, why not make people register in order to make comments on the main site? Might cut down on some of the bullshit. Might not.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#54 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

I don't remember exactly what it was, but BN made a crack directly aimed at Brett last week. If it were up to me, that would have been when I break out the Ban Hammer. Luckily for him, Brett is much more tolerant than I am.

OT: We have to come up with something better than BN every time I see it I think Bleacher Nation.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#55 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

It's been damn near impossible to not respond, especially since some of the comments were personal and directed at me. Brett I appreciate you standing up for me. Honestly it's because of my respect for you and this website that I didn't go all crazy fucking white girl on him.

As I said before, why not make people register in order to make comments on the main site? Might cut down on some of the bullshit. Might not.

That was the closest I've been to dumping that particular poster. I wanted to put an end to it, because that was the right thing to do ... but I also secretly hoped it would continue a bit more, so that I could justifiably ban, without fear of the bad precedent that TWC so artfully surmised.

#56 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

I can handle die hard, I've come to read him as a satirist that has no idea he is writing satire, because it is a lunatic. It's BetterNews that has out stayed his welcome. His constant need to attack, act authoritarian, and this new mystical insider information from its sources is absolutely frustrating to deal with. Add to his ability to be constantly commenting in what seems like 24hr periods, I hope he will be gone before the season begins.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#57 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

That was the closest I've been to dumping that particular poster. I wanted to put an end to it, because that was the right thing to do ... but I also secretly hoped it would continue a bit more, so that I could justifiably ban, without fear of the bad precedent that TWC so artfully surmised.

That whole exchange showed just how well "we" self police when a commentor crosses the line. We quickly respond and have kept the pressure, which normally causes a commentor to either change or leave. Sadly he is still lurking but I think he knows he only has one friend... Die hard.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#58 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

I know I'm knew here (maybe I'm one of the trolls who knows) but if there is policing done by some of the members as well as good dialog it could cut down on the trolls that hang around. It may even convert them over to contributing instead of driving everyone nuts. When I say policing I mean just call them out on it and then let it be (don't get into a pissing contest). Let me know if I'm off base here Brett.

I try the reward system. Whenever they post actual discussion, I reply. Otherwise, I do my damndest to ignore them. Although, it has gotten MUCH better in the past few days.

And Brett, just know that whatever you need done, I can take care of it. Thats all I am going to say.

#59 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

I honestly thought about firing back him to get a bigger reaction but I didn't want to get banned too. I've just learned to stay away at night since that's when he seems to go into batshit crazy mode. And as for his "source" I think it's the guy who hoses out the troughs at Wrigley.

#60 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

I thought also about posting a wedding registry thread on here. I thought it would be funny since Hansman and I are getting married and all. I was going to register for banana hammocks and buttplugs and regift the plugs to BetterNews. I'm sure he has a lot more uses for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).