ncsujuri

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Facebook:ncsujuri
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

So there is an insider article on the 4 letter today that projects the power rankings by organization for the next 5 years and is based on the ratings of Buster Olney, Jim Bowden & Keith Law on each club in 5 categories (Majors, Minors, Finances, Management & Mobility) each with varying degrees of weight. 

In the preseason the Cubs were #6 with rankings of Majors (6), Minors (26), Finance (24), Management (25) & Mobility (24) for a total rating score of 65.

On the update the Cubs maintained their spot at #6 with rankings of Majors (6), Minors (27), Finance (22), Management (26) and Mobility (20). 

I definitely like knowing that the future looks bright (alas the Cards are #1 and holding steady), howeva, I have to nitpick a little bit on two of the scores.  Our Minors score has ticked up only 1 from the preseason yet we added Kris Bryant, Mike Olt, CJ Edwards, Justin Grimm, etc. Still missing the top arms that we'd need to climb into the 30ish range but I'd argue that the additions plus the continued development of Javy Baez, Kyle Hendricks, Alcantara should have ticked it up to 28 or 29. 

Secondly, the mobility score has the following explanation: "Do they have a lot of young cheap players, or old, immovable guys?"  We went from a 24 in the pre-season, traded our inarguably oldest and most immovable guy in Soriano, and went down 4 points?!?!  That one really doesn't compute to me. 

I'm assuming the answer is that the rankings are arbitrary, the Buster/Bowden/Law aren't looking at what grades they gave previously and they just throw them together to have content but it would be nice for them to put a bit more work into it than that...

- It's a great day for a ballgame, LET'S PLAY TWO!

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

ESPN and their rankings are always a joke

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).