miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Last night I caught on CNN "What become of the ground Zero Flag" and I got to thinking about how much Baseball played apart in the healing process for this country. The 2001 World Series was one of the best ever and it was the first world series played in the month of November. If you ask me this should of been the ONLY World Series played in the month of November, yet in 2009 and 2010 Bud let the World Series extend into November. I believe Bud has had many bone head moves (All-Star game, Steriods, Brauns suspension) while commish, but after watching that documentary last night my blood got boiled. I believe this to be the biggest flub for the commish. I'm ready to see this man go.

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#2 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Twitter:@chrisfchi
  • LocationHiding somewhere in soxland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

My question is,where is the ground zero flag?

#3 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

My question is,where is the ground zero flag?

Right? Did you happen to catch the documentary 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#4 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

No.I'm going to try googling it and see what comes up.

#5 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Wow. Amazing who whould have known.

#6 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Wow. Amazing who whould have known.

That's the way I felt too. Where do you think it went?

#7 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

My heart tells me its in the hands of the NY firehouse that lost the most men. My brain tells me some politican had it removed and is holding it. My gut says some prick came along and thought it would be "cool" to swipe it and is going to wait a lilbit to sell it. Maybe its just like Iwo Jima, some bigshot said its too small change it out.

#8 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

My heart tells me its in the hands of the NY firehouse that lost the most men. My brain tells me some politican had it removed and is holding it. My gut says some prick came along and thought it would be "cool" to swipe it and is going to wait a lilbit to sell it. Maybe its just like Iwo Jima, some bigshot said its too small change it out.

I could see any one of those things happening. I'm not sure how old you are and if you remember that day. I was 21 on that beautiful Tuesday morning and I can remember feeling stunned to the point I didn't know what to do. I can see a fireman taking that flag down at sunset because that is proper etiquette and just folding it up and placing it on a fire truck and from there who knows what happened to it. I guess part of me wants to believe that no one would think they were bigger than that moment and would just keep that flag. 

And to get back to my post I think Bud really messed up when he didn't make sure that was the only World Series played in November. It's almost as bad as the fact the flag is missing. 

#9 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

I was 19 when the attacks happened. Never forget, I woke up and turned on the news right after tower 1 got hit. Before I could take a drink of my coffee I saw the plane hit the second tower on tv. By then I knew this wasn't an accident, I called my boss and told him I was not coming in(which he agreed and closed the shop immediately). Within 6 hours I was at my armed forces recruitment center. I remember calling my grandfather and telling him I signed up, and that I now knew how he felt Dec. 7th 1941.

#10 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Yeah Bud must have had a few too many when he allowed the world series to run into November, if I recall the series ended shortly before thanksgiving right?

#11 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

I was in College and was able to live at home and drive to school. I had some car trouble that morning and was late to class. I was kind of a joker in that class and the class was like yeah right Miguel. Then a guy walked in after me and said the Towers were being "bombed". I looked to the guy behind me , Sterling Silver funny name, and said he's got a better excuse than me. Not even knowing what was taking place. We all found out shortly after that, that this was serious. 

I commend you for signing up. I talked to my dad about it. Him being a Marine Vietnam Veteran told me it wouldn't be a good idea. That the Government would be looking beyond who ever did this. Man was he right. 

But once again let me thank you for your service. 

#12 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Yeah Bud must have had a few too many when he allowed the world series to run into November, if I recall the series ended shortly before thanksgiving right?

I remember taking the Turkey out to defrost right after Grace got that single in the 9th

#13 justinjabs

justinjabs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Twitter:justinjabs
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Guys, go look up "Nine Innings from Ground Zero." A really well done TV documentary about baseball's impact on 9/11. It should be pretty cheap on Amazon. I own it and pull it out every few Septembers to watch.

Posted Image

"With Reed we will succeed."
Twitter -- Blog

#14 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Guys, go look up "Nine Innings from Ground Zero." A really well done TV documentary about baseball's impact on 9/11. It should be pretty cheap on Amazon. I own it and pull it out every few Septembers to watch.

Ah cool, thanks for the lead!

#15 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

I was in College and was able to live at home and drive to school. I had some car trouble that morning and was late to class. I was kind of a joker in that class and the class was like yeah right Miguel. Then a guy walked in after me and said the Towers were being "bombed". I looked to the guy behind me , Sterling Silver funny name, and said he's got a better excuse than me. Not even knowing what was taking place. We all found out shortly after that, that this was serious. I commend you for signing up. I talked to my dad about it. Him being a Marine Vietnam Veteran told me it wouldn't be a good idea. That the Government would be looking beyond who ever did this. Man was he right. But once again let me thank you for your service.

Sorry work got crazy and I couldn't finish what I wanted to say up there. Unfortunately I found out that I had a serious health issue and was barred from service. I do volunteer thru the local vfw and assist vets who have no family(ww2 and Korean war vets mainly) do simple chores (cut grass run errands exc...) I'll pass that thank you to a real vet, I don't deserve any praise that someone like your father does. (I do have nothing but Marine vets in my family)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).