Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

The Cubs played my home town team. For real.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

So I live in a pretty small town of only 3,700 people. This summer our local media discovered that the Cubs actually played our American Legion team in 1923 (http://wrmj.com/?p=15885). The Cubs won 9-2.

When I first heard this I thought, "Well that's pretty cool. Too bad it couldn't happen now!" Well... apparently somebody in our legion got ahold of the Cubs and are trying to schedule a "rematch" for (I think) the 100 year anniversary of the game. According to what we were told, the Cubs showed interest in doing something, but nothing is official or even close to that stage yet. 

Now you're probably thinking, "What you were told? It's probably just some rumor running through town." Well, it could be. BUT, I am one of the coaches of our Legion team, and I'm probably going to be taking over the program in the next year or two. We were told, from the head honcho of our legion, about the conversations with the Cubs. So that adds a little bit of validity... 

Needless to say, I will be coaching this legion team until, at least, 2023. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this actually happens  :)

#2 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Twitter:@chrisfchi
  • LocationHiding somewhere in soxland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

That would be cool. Best of luck on that.

#3 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Vaguely related,

Iowa Baseball Confederacy is a wonderful book about the Chicago Cubs playing an all star team of townball teams in the Iowa City area in 1908.  The story is pretty cool, but the portraits of the Cubs players are fantastic.

#4 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

That would be sweet. It was a couple years back, but I think it was in NW Iowa where they found some home footage of the MLB all-stars who traveled after the season playing local teams to make extra cash. Babe Ruth and others were on the film. 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#5 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Man, I wish more stuff like that happened now! Although, could you imagine what would happen if Mike Trout or Miggy just went to random towns and played baseball?! It probably wouldn't be safe for them...

By the way, when I coach against the Cubs and win, I will instantly throw that in all of your faces and declare victory in all arguments on the site. Trump card.

#6 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

I go to random towns and play baseball all the time and it's pretty safe for me. Not sure how safe it would be for Mr. Trout. 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#7 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

I go to random towns and play baseball all the time and it's pretty safe for me. Not sure how safe it would be for Mr. Trout. 

Nah, it'd much safer for Trout then it would for you and your softball success... If you're safe, he's safe. 

#8 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Nah, it'd much safer for Trout then it would for you and your softball success... If you're safe, he's safe. 

Who would hurt such a cute kitten

IMG-20130730-WA0000.jpg?attach=1

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Your picture in password protected.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Dang, how do I change that?

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Move it to a public folder on the net.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

I moved it to a public folder but now it won't copy and paste. It don't help that I'm really hung over too. ehhh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).