Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

First of, I would like to quickly thank Brett for this forum, which allows me to pursue my passion for the Cubs, humor, and writing. After Ron Santo's induction this week, I decided I would embark on another BN series. Using my prior knowledge and resources regarding the Hall of Fame, I hope to show that Ron Santo indeed should have been in much earlier(duh), but also that the Hall is filled with inequities and some things that are just flat out ridiculous.

In the summer of 2009 I visited Cooperstown for the first time. It was pretty cool. I wouldn't call it life-changing, but it was cool. If you haven't been there you would be surprised how isolated it is from the outside world. A year later I read the fine book Cooperstown Confidential written by Zev Chafets. In Mr. Chafet's book I learned that the physical isolation of Cooperstown was just part of the story. It's history is filled with lies, corruption, political favors and a vale of secrecy akin to a secret society. (Think... the law firm that Mitch McDeere worked for in The Firm) My goal with these brief(I will try, I know it's an ADD world we live in) is to help Cubs fans through any anger they may harbor about Ronnie's bittersweet induction.

First, FULL DISCLOSURE; I am a big fan of Ronnie's career as a player...not so as a broadcaster. I was frequently frustrated with his lack of knowledge of our own players, his constant "when I played" stories, and when he would just pigtail on what Pat was saying, and just say "yeah." Before most of you threaten to kill me for criticizing the man...just give me a chance...(please, please put down the pitchfork!) After his passing, it really hit me just how shameful and spiteful his delayed induction was. So Ronnie, sorry for the broadcasting comments, but these Hall Of Fame idiocy stories are for you.

COOPERSTOWN STUPIDTY PART 1-NO UNANIMOUS SELECTIONS.....EVER!

The first hall of fame class was elected in 1936. Seventy-five years later and there is one constant: some of the people who vote must be pompous a$$faces. To me there is no other explanation, how someone could say "no" to some of these players. It's always been baffling to me. For the sake of time,(and the aforementioned attention span of the reader) I will chronologically show just some of the most dumbfounding vote totals.

1936 FIRST CLASS- 226 TOTAL VOTES: Ty Cobb 222(98%) Honus Wagner 215(95%) Babe Ruth 215(95%) Babe Ruth! Eleven people apparently said, "No, the 714 HRS, and .342 lifetime average...just not good enough" What? Oh, I see, he didn't reach 3,000 hits(2873)...maybe that's because he had over 2,000 walks and he spent his early career going 95-46 with a 2.28 ERA with 107 complete games on the mound. Not good enough to be a unanimous selection.

1951 226 TOTAL VOTES: Jimmie Foxx 179 (79%)
Double X as he was called is not as well known as the Babe, but you should know this: he was really f#$king good! Often overshadowed by Ruth, he hit 58 HR's in 1932, just 2 short of the single season record.(he had 2 in games that were rained out) How would you like his 1933 stats on your Rotisserie team? .356, 48, 163) Career: .325 avg and 534 HR's. Yet 47 people said, nope, not good enough. He was well-liked, a good teammate, why only 79%? Not good enough to be a unanimous selection.

1969 340 TOTAL VOTES: Stan Musial 317 (92%)
I hate the Cardinals, but I have always loved Stan the Man. Gracious almost to a fault, it is true he fell short of 500 homers(475). However, he is 2nd all-time(I am not counting Barry Bonds) in extra-base hits behind only Hank Aaron. 3,630 Career hits with a .331 lifetime avg. Not good enough to be a unanimous selection.

1973 380 TOTAL VOTES: Warren Spahn 316 (83%) Hmmmm.... 363 career wins, 2583 K's despite missing 4 seasons due to military service. No-hitters at ages 39 and 40....nahhhh. Not good enough to be a unanimous selection.

1982 415 TOTAL VOTES: Hank Aaron 406(97%)
Okay, that's a nice high percentage, but really? How can it not be flipping 100%! Have you ever seen or read any of the stuff he was dealing with while going for Babe's record? There shouldn't have even been a vote! Could those no votes have come from Red states?( I kid...I kid...the South) Not good enough to be a unanimous selection.

Unfortunately(lucky for the reader I am not), I could go on all day. I just picked 5 of the most insane ones I could find. These guys are Hall of Famers among Hall of Famers. Why would anyone think any of these guys did not belong? Stupidity? Pettiness? Jealousy? Never opened their ballot?

Just F$%ing ridiculous!

Well my loyal readers(my wife, Rob...maybe J) I hope you come away from this with a little more knowledge and a little more understanding of why it took Ronnie so long to get in. Much more evidence to come.

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

As usual, very well done!
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

So true about the insane nature of the HOF voting, I remember reading that BJ Surhoff got 1 HOF vote last year (or maybe two years ago), pure lunacy. There has to be a better way to make sure the hall voters have to take things serious.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

Wonderful. And ridiculous.

#5 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

I've always wondered about the people that vote against the obvious choices. I just wish I could talk to the guy that voted "No" to Babe Ruth (or any of these people you mentioned). Just to get their perspective. Like, are there people out there that think that there shouldn't be anybody in th HOF, or what?

#6 FratRat

FratRat

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:@rcpikeboy

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

"The Revolution" continues..........good stuff, Chris. You've inspired me to thinking it might be time for our inaugural ORL HOF induction.........

#7 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Very well done. Can't wait to see the rest of the series...and who the hell votes down Babe Ruth?

#8 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Very well done. Can't wait to see the rest of the series...and who the hell votes down Babe Ruth?

I'll bet it was someone from Boston.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#9 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'll bet it was someone from Boston.

Point taken, but still. As much as I hate the Cardinals, I would still vote Stan Musial in (if I had a vote naturally).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).