#1 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

I think baseball needs to take a look at its schedule, because it sort of sucks.  The NFL's schedule is really well done, mostly because you can easily tell who you're going to play years in advance, and because it is balanced in the sense that you and the other teams in your division share 14 out of 16 games, and the other two are decided based on competitiveness in your conference.  Baseball's schedule is pretty messed up, and lacks the competitive balance that I think it needs. So, two ideas:

Idea One:  If MLB increased to 174 games, each team could play a three game home and away series with the other 29 teams six times throughout the year. Kind of a yawner, and I'm not sure that MLBPA would support an increase of 12 games.  It also presents some logistical concerns about when to start the season, when the WS would end, etc.  But, as far as strict balance goes, this is the fairest.

Idea Two:  If MLB went with 161 games, each team could play the other four teams in their division 14 times, the other 10 teams in their league six times, and the 15 teams in the other league three times.  This format allows for the intra-divisional games to help decide the divisional crown, and since there has to be Interleague play all the time now anyway this allows every team to actually play every other team, instead of playing just a handful of teams from the other league and potentially getting screwed if you have to play a really hard division from the other league one year - which could have a significant impact on Wild Card races.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

#2 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

WHAT ABOUT THE RECORDZZZZ?!!!?!?!?!

Seriously, I think baseball needs to do something about it. Your second option seemed pretty legit, to me anyways.

#3 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

I think we should have some restructuring first, so inter league play can be eliminated. Then shorten the season to 140 games and implement Idea 2. Then take the winner of each division plus the top three records of the non-division winners. First round best of 3 top two records get a bye. Second round best of 7. Third round best of 7. World Series best of 7. 

BOOM! Problem Solved. 

Spense, get one of those .gov petitions started.

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

I think we should have some restructuring first, so inter league play can be eliminated. Then shorten the season to 140 games and implement Idea 2. Then take the winner of each division plus the top three records of the non-division winners. First round best of 3 top two records get a bye. Second round best of 7. Third round best of 7. World Series best of 7. 

BOOM! Problem Solved. 

Spense, get one of those .gov petitions started.

In baseball, you cannot have teams sitting out for 4 days when noone else does. Unless you have some crazy double-double-header.  BE THE BEST, BITCHES, OR ELSE!

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

What happens when you are a team who has to play in the AL East or NLC or whatever division happens to be the tough division of the year?

The only way for this to be fair is to play everyone equally (which isn't possible without dramatically changing the number of games).

#6 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

What happens when you are a team who has to play in the AL East or NLC or whatever division happens to be the tough division of the year?

The only way for this to be fair is to play everyone equally (which isn't possible without dramatically changing the number of games).

Isn't it obvious? Do it like the NCAA and have a group of people vote on the best teams. Strength of schedule would be included in the decisions. Aren't we trying to kill the win anyways? So screw team W/L records.

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yes! We need the BCS computers!!!!!!

#8 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

That is clearly the answer to the MLB's problems. I can't believe it hasn't been discussed yet. 

#9 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

We could get rid of wins altogether, and just base who gets the trophy at the end of the year off WAR and xFIP.

In all seriousness, I just it's just sort of one of those things that's too bad. The main goal was balancing out the random interleague games that are sprinkled in the schedule, and making sure you play your divisional foes equally.

#10 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

NotGraphs poses a question about restructuring.

Link

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#11 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

I recall in the '80s it was almost like the NFL had three set schedules and then plugged in teams based on standings.  For example, the year one schedule had the first place team from the NFC Central play the first four teams from the AFC West and then the first and second place teams from the NFC East and West.  Does that make sense?  Am I defining that well enough?  Never studied it in depth, just the sense I got. 

I made a thirty team schedule once kind of based on that.  Except it didn't really break up divisions.

Play each team in your division 18 times = 72 games

Each team in same league divisions 6 times = 60 games

Each team in interleague division 6 times = 30 games

At least what this schedule does is make sure everyone in the same division is playing about the same schedule.  Like when the Cubs were playing the Whitesox (And the sox were good.) and the Cards played the Royals. (The Royals were not.)

But you were trying to get away from the division centric schedule, weren't you?

So.....

Play each team in your division 12 times = 48 games

Each team in same league divisions 6 times = 60 games

Each team in interleague division 6 times = 60 games

Two teams in interleague non div. similar standing 6 times = 24 games

#12 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yes! We need the BCS computers!!!!!!

Great.  Now you've given me nightmares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).