31 replies to this topic

#1 splatstrike

splatstrike

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Ok, this is going to be my first post so feel free to tell me what you think.

1. RESIGN SAMARDZIJA

Now I personally would rather trade him in the offseason for the likes of Archie Bradley and Tyler Skaggs (obviously throw in a Vogelbach and someone else), but unfortunately, that's extremely unlikely. In that case, the best case scenario is to resign Samardzija. After all, he still has the potential to be a #2, (maybe even a #1 if he really improves).

2. SIGN TANAKA

I know, everybody's saying this one and there's a reason for that. He vastly improves our rotation in more than one way. In addition to hopefully becoming our #1/2, he takes a lot of pressure off Samardzija and will in turn afford the Cubs more breathing room.

3. TRADE FOR CARLOS GONZALEZ

Now with whispers that he'll be available and the Rockies not interested in the Mets' offer, it will be the perfect time for the Cubs to pounce. The Rockies have specified that they want young position players so I suggest that the Cubs offer them Almora, Olt, and another player or 2 outside of pitching, Bryant, Baez, and Soler (because of his contract). 

At that point, your line-up receives an ENORMOUS boost:

Castro, SS

Lake, CF

CarGo, LF

Rizzo, 1B

Schierholtz/Sweeney/Bogs, RF

Castillo/Navarro, C

Olt/Murphy/Valbuena, 3B

Barney, 2B

4. DO NOT SIGN ROBINSON CANO

I REPEAT: DO NOT SIGN ROBINSON CANO.

He will cost us way too much and will impede us just like Soriano did (money-wise) after 2009 or so. Even if he sustains his current level of play, anything above a 6-year contract is too much of a risk at this point.

5. DO NOT SIGN CHOO/ELLSBURY

Choo will not be able to sustain his insane OBP and both are injury risks. However, if you do sign one, please let it be Choo. Ellsbury is simply too expensive at the moment.

6.DO NOT TRADE FOR STANTON/PRICE

THEY ARE WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. 

Stanton would require at least 2 of big 4 along with top prospects. NOT WORTH IT.

Cargo is a much smarter acquisition. 

Price would require at least Baez. NOT WORTH IT.

Tanaka + Samardzija + Wood + Ejax + 5th starter + Baez >  Price + Samardzija + Wood + Ejax + 5th starter - Baez.

7. RESIGN ROLE PLAYERS

A. Navarro: Castillo is finally starting to emerge and Navarro is the perfect complement to him. Somebody like Mccann will take playing time from Castillo which is something we don't need at this point.

B. Sweeney/Bogs: Both have shown enough ability to qualify as good 4th outfielders who would platoon with Schierholtz.

C. Murphy: Not going to keep up his insane power, but could function in a serviceable platoon again with Valbuena.

8. KEEP RIZZO AND CASTRO

This topic has been run into the ground, through the core, and into China. I mean seriously, it is WAY too early to decided whether they actually suck so why trade them when their value is low?

9. LEAVE 2B AND 3B ALONE (NO MULTI-YEAR CONTRACTS)

There are simply too many prospects to fill those positions. So if we add another free agent to the mix, all that we accomplish is blocking players like Baez (mid-2014), Bryant (end-2014), Olt (hopefully out of spring training), Alcantara (probably end-2014). 1 year contracts are fine, but no more than 2 years.

10. SIGN A COUPLE BENCH PLAYERS

Just to fill in for injuries/pinch hit/pinch run when neccessary.

Well that is all that I can really think of off the top of my head...

Tell me what you guys think!

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Have you seen Cargo's road split?

How will Choo be unable to sustain a high OBP?  Dude is good at walks.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

Choo also has a career .389 OBP. I'd say he can maintain. As far as crazy trade stuff goes, I don't get into it. Heck, I don't even read it. They are almost always filled with if we trade eleventy scrubs for Trout I think they would take it. Cargo's road split is great. 175 wRC+ at away and 124 wRC+ at home.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

1. I think I'd rather trade him but that really depends on what's coming back and the contract he'll accept.  Plus, There's still two years of team controll so nothing has to happen with him.  Just keeping him for another year of development is fine with me.

2. Sign Tanaka (agreed)

3. I think you'll need to add Alcantara to this deal but I'd still do it.

4. Dear God don't waste that much money

5.  For the right price either could be worth it.  The thought right now is the cost will be high but look at Bourn last year.  I'd take that deal for either if it were available.

6.Here's where things get interesting.  I figure the Cubs have the big four plus AA, Vogelback, Olt, Johnson, and Edwards as major prospect trade pieces.  Plus Grimm, Arrieta, Rusin, Raley, Barney, Vitters, Szczur, Jackson, Cabrera and Vizcaino as secondary type pieces (debate all you want because value varies a lot here and beauty is in the eye of the beholder).  If you figure Olt, AA, and Almora or Soler are gone then you have to see what you have that those teams would want.  I's look into it but it really depends on the price and if you get CarGo/what it take to get Cargo.

7. Navarro's going to want and deserve a lot more money and a chance to start.  Good for him but it won't be with the Cubs.  I've like watching him and I'll be sorry to see him go but happy he got the opportunity.  He was a bright spot in a dark season.

8-10.  Agreed

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

Choo also has a career .389 OBP. I'd say he can maintain. As far as crazy trade stuff goes, I don't get into it. Heck, I don't even read it. They are almost always filled with if we trade eleventy scrubs for Trout I think they would take it. Cargo's road split is great. 175 wRC+ at away and 124 wRC+ at home.

Mm, I must have looked at it wrong or maybe that's adjusted for typical road splits.

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Mm, I must have looked at it wrong or maybe that's adjusted for typical road splits.

Here is the link to his splits.

http://www.fangraphs...n=2013#advanced

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

Ahhh, I was looking career.

#8 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Ahhh, I was looking career.

That is odd. What is different about this year? Coming into prime? Career year?

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Just guessing I'd say some of both of those combined with positive variance (he apparently stole all of the Cubs variance) and it could be that he had more hitter friendly road parks this year.

But I haven't dug into anything of this.

OR

It could just be that Sveum sucks and his non-presence in Colorado spurred CarGo

#10 splatstrike

splatstrike

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Well he is 27 now so he is entering his prime now. If we managed to get him, we would have him through 2017. The most we would have to pay is 20 million in his last season.

#11 splatstrike

splatstrike

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Would you guys trade Almora, Soler, and Villanueva + PTBNL (if neccessary) for CarGo?

#12 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

No, the most we would have to pay for him would be the prospects that it would take to get him.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#13 splatstrike

splatstrike

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Well they want young top positional players, and we are trading for an all-star so...that seems like something they would demand.

Also, Choo should be able to maintain a .380 OBP but anything over .400 is just unsustainable. He has been hit 25 times this year and, either way, he's also missed parts of several seasons.

But you're right that if it is at the right price, it's worth the risk.(like so many things)

#14 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Would you guys trade Almora, Soler, and Villanueva + PTBNL (if neccessary) for CarGo?

Its hard to give up two of the big 4.  I'm not sure which is why its probably a fair trade.  I don't think they'd want Villanueva though

#15 splatstrike

splatstrike

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Sczcur?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).