Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Well they want young top positional players, and we are trading for an all-star so...that seems like something they would demand.

Also, Choo should be able to maintain a .380 OBP but anything over .400 is just unsustainable. He has been hit 25 times this year and, either way, he's also missed parts of several seasons.

But you're right that if it is at the right price, it's worth the risk.(like so many things)

I didn't say he would maintain a .400 OBP I said his career was .389 so he would be able to maintain that. Also, he has been HBP 80 times in his career. I'm not saying that this year isn't above norm, but he does get hit often. Actually, he averages getting hit once ever 45.45 PA.

As far as Elsbury is concerned, much of his ability revolves around his speed with the chances of that tool fading quickly in the near future. Plus, he has had injury concerns as well.

Sczcur?

I don't even think the Cubs want Sczcur.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#17 Nate

Nate

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Sczcur?

Maybe but I'd be thinking someone like Gioskar Amaya.  Young, unknown, some upside.

#18 splatstrike

splatstrike

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Guys, I've come up with a solution that they just can't resist.

Barney and McDonald for Tulo and CarGo!

They get cost-controlled position players and we get superstars!

I think they should offer it just to see how the Rockies respond.

#19 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Guys, I've come up with a solution that they just can't resist.

Barney and McDonald for Tulo and CarGo!

They get cost-controlled position players and we get superstars!

I think they should offer it just to see how the Rockies respond.

Ehhh, I think we'd have to throw in Gregg as well, and that price is too steep.

#20 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

My plan would be a little simpler than this.

1 - Sign Tanaka.

2 - Sign Abreu.

3 - Sign Choo.

4 - Figure out who plays where in spring training.

Tanaka replaces Garza in the starting rotation and helps bridge to the rotation reinforcements that finished 2013 dominating the FSL.

Abreu is another legit power/OBP bat, and the Cubs need that..  I have no idea where the Cubs will play him, and I don't care.  He won't be the worst left fielder in Cub history, that's for sure.  The Cubs have had success some signing Cuban defectors lately, so they should at least have a shot at this one.

Choo is pure OBP, and the Cubs were an awful OBP team this year.  

Other than that, I'd lean towards giving Olt and Vitters every chance to win the 3B job in spring training with the idea of moving Valbuena to second and Barney to the bench.

Oh.  And the bullpen.  Find one.  Somewhere.  Please.

#21 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

Honestly, this is the most reasonable post I've seen in this board for a long time.  Still, I disagree with trading Car Go or signing any OFs.  I'm content with Lake, Sweeney, Schierholtz with reinforcements on the way in the form of who develops out of Vitters, Soler, Almora, etc. and scouts think that Bryant could make a successful transition from 3B to OF much like Alex Gordon did.

The only "marquee" free agents are a couple premium relievers who aren't tied to draft pick compensation and Tananka.

#22 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

1 - Sign Tanaka.

2 - Sign Abreu.

3 - Sign Choo.

Tanaka replaces Garza in the starting rotation and helps bridge to the rotation reinforcements that finished 2013 dominating the FSL.

Abreu is another legit power/OBP bat, and the Cubs need that..  I have no idea where the Cubs will play him, and I don't care.  He won't be the worst left fielder in Cub history, that's for sure.  The Cubs have had success some signing Cuban defectors lately, so they should at least have a shot at this one.

Other than that, I'd lean towards giving Olt and Vitters every chance to win the 3B job in spring training with the idea of moving Valbuena to second and Barney to the bench.

Tanka, Choo and Abreu, YES YES YES.  I am very disappointed the Cubs aren't connected to him yet.  If he is as good as reported (I think there may be some hype going on after Cespedes and Puig), his bat would carry him pretty much anywhere, even SS.

Although, our OF defense would be as terrible as our IF defense would be good.

#23 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

1 - Sign Tanaka.

2 - Sign Abreu.

3 - Sign Choo.

Tanka, Choo and Abreu, YES YES YES.  I am very disappointed the Cubs aren't connected to him yet.  If he is as good as reported (I think there may be some hype going on after Cespedes and Puig), his bat would carry him pretty much anywhere, even SS.

Just think of how much you could brag about wOBA and declare all defensive metrics flawed though.

#24 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

1 - Sign Tanaka.

2 - Sign Abreu.

3 - Sign Choo.

Just think of how much you could brag about wOBA and declare all defensive metrics flawed though.

Isn't that what I do now?

#25 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

Darwin Barney has the lowest BABIP among qualifying players, 3rd lowest among qualifiers in wRC+,16th in GDP (Starlin Castro is 13th). 1st in Fld. Darwin Barney is: last in R, OBP, BABIP, SLG, wOBA, wRC+, and WAR among qualifying second basemen, while being 2nd last in RBI and AVG, and 3rd last in .ISO among qualifying second basemen. Cano, Zobrist(option), Infante, and Kendrick are all available in the off season. We can pitch Barney to a team in a trade to shore up their defense while creating a roster spot for us. 

Luis Valbuena would profile very well at 2B, as he'd be (min 350 PA): tied for last in GDP, 1st in BB%, 3rd in Fld, 9th in .ISO, tied for 10th in OBP and HR, 13th in WAR, 15th in wOBA, 16th in wRC+, 17th in SLG, while being 3rd lowest BABIP, 5th lowest .AVG, tied for 11th in K%, and 22nd in BsR. I think a platoon with Donnie Murphy would be very successful there and cost-effective. I believe Valbuena will be on his 2nd year of arbitration eligibility and Murphy will be on his first. If the Cubs decide that Javier Baez is better suited at 2B than 3B, no problem.

I think trading for CarGo is a great idea. He doesn't need platooned, has speed, has a reasonable contract and can be that veteran presence for our club. The Rockies need another starter and Jeff Samardzija would be a perfect fit in Colorado. They're going to end up having an OF of Dickerson/Fowler/Blackmon for their future and Cuddyer/CarGo will be traded this off season. A three way trade that involves sending Schierholtz somewhere would make this happen.

Rajai Davis will be a free agent next year and has been a consistent platoon outfielder vs LHP the past five years with the numbers to back it up. He'd be a great acquisition to fill the Hairston/Gillespie/Neal/Sappelt role-but with actual results around the same contract. 

I'm going to guess that Ryan Sweeney will sign elsewhere, but we can retain Dioner Navarro and Scott Baker on two-year deals. 

[5.00] SS Starlin Castro

[3.25] RF Brian Bogusevic (L) / Rajai Davis

[10.0] LF Carlos Gonzalez (L)

[3.75] C Welington Castillo / Dioner Navarro (S)

[1.25] 1B Anthony Rizzo (L)

[0.55] CF Junior Lake

[2.25] 2B Luis Valbuena (L) / Donnie Murphy

[0.55] 3B Josh Vitters or Mike Olt

[1.10] UT Logan Watkins (L) / Anthony Giansanti

-27.70-

[4.25] SP Scott Baker

[1.25] SP Travis Wood (L)

[14.0] SP Masahiro Tanaka

[11.0] SP Edwin Jackson

[0.55] SP Chris Rusin (L)

[5.00] LR Carlos Villanueva

-36.05-

Bullpen $3M

(Soriano $13M, Fujikawa $4M, Soler $2M, 15 roster $6.6M) = 25.60

= $92.35M in payroll

#26 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

They're going to end up having an OF of Dickerson/Fowler/Blackmon for their future and Cuddyer/CarGo will be traded this off season. A three way trade that involves sending Schierholtz somewhere would make this happen.

Really? Really? Schierholtz is going to land CarGo? Man, you do have a vivid imagination.

spongebob-imagination-o.gif

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#27 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

[4.25] SP Scott Baker

[1.25] SP Travis Wood (L)

[14.0] SP Masahiro Tanaka

[11.0] SP Edwin Jackson

[0.55] SP Chris Rusin (L)

[5.00] LR Carlos Villanueva

That's a pretty rough starting rotation.

#28 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

They're going to end up having an OF of Dickerson/Fowler/Blackmon for their future and Cuddyer/CarGo will be traded this off season. A three way trade that involves sending Schierholtz somewhere would make this happen.

Really? Really? Schierholtz is going to land CarGo? Man, you do have a vivid imagination.

Did you not see the trade the Browns just made!? Apparently this shit can really happen.... 

#29 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

Did you not see the trade the Browns just made!? Apparently this shit can really happen.... 

HAHAHAHALArF

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#30 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

I don't know how to compare football to baseball statistics but I'm pretty sure a .892 career OPS is better than a 3.5 career YPC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).