hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

During the 1918 World Series against the Red Sox, the Cubs played their three home games at this park due to it's larger seating capacity.

#2 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Wait, What! The Cubs played a World Series away from Wrigley just to make a couple of extra bucks. The goat isn't the curse we were cursed by this decision. Damn.

Oh and it had to be Comiskey Park. 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

It was indeed Comiskey, but they didn't play at Wrigley because it was still known as Weeghman Park. It wasn't Wrigley until the mid-20's.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

It was indeed Comiskey, but they didn't play at Wrigley because it was still known as Weeghman Park. It wasn't Wrigley until the mid-20's.

That's right on the name, but I'm sticking with that for being the reason for the curse. 1918 will be the year we make it back to the World Series.

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

That's right on the name, but I'm sticking with that for being the reason for the curse. 1918 will be the year we make it back to the World Series.

Back to the Future?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

There is also the point that, in 1918, the Cubs weren't playing at Weeghman Park.

#7 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Back to the Future?

hobbes_doh.jpg

#8 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

There is also the point that, in 1918, the Cubs weren't playing at Weeghman Park.

Weeghman Park (1914–1920)
Cubs Park (1920–1926)

I'm not getting what you're trying to say.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Cubs Park (1920–1926)

1914 is when it was constructed but the Cubs didn't move in until the 1919 season.  I think..

#10 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

Oh yeah that's right. I think that was one of the calendar questions a few weeks ago. My head was a little groggy this morning.

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Cubs Park (1920–1926)

1914 is when it was constructed but the Cubs didn't move in until the 1919 season.  I think..

Here is what I found on it:

The Chicago Federals were the home team on April 23, 1914, when Weeghman Park hosted its first game. Where were the Cubs? At West Side Park, playing the Cincinnati Reds–they didn’t move over to Weeghman until mid-1916.

So apparently the Cubs were there in 1918.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Well then.  Wrong again.

#13 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

The Cubs played their first game in Wrigley Field against the Redlegs of Cincinatti  on  April 20, 1916   Cubs won 7 to 6

#14 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Scouring your wall for the scorecard is highly frowned upon. /s

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).