King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Was it Chance for both?

According to the Calendar, yes.  Modern era, yes.  All of Cubdom, yes for career but no for single season (although I have no way (and no interest) of verifying the Cubdom one with 1800's guys)

#17 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

So, you are saying it's no because of a 6 year difference? What made that 6 years go modern?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#18 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

So, you are saying it's no because of a 6 year difference? What made that 6 years go modern?

Isn't 1901 considered the start of the "modern era" of baseball because of the World Series and it seems that most folks, when talking leading a stat category, seem to exclude stats before that date.  There is some things that make sense about it and some things that don't.

#19 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

To me, it makes sense to draw the line where most people do - 1901.  That is when the American League was formed, so it makes for a good place to start. I think that's when they started calling foul balls strikes too.

#20 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Why not when they integrated? Wouldn't that make for a better starting spot?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#21 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

I'm ok with ignoring the pre 1900 stats. I don't care about the numbers from that era because the game was in such a state of flux. Although the era is obviously meaningful in a lot of ways, the stats before 1901 are comparatively meaningless because of the major rule changes going on from 1876 to 1900. The pitcher could be as close as 45 feet away all the way up to 1893. Walks were hits for a long time, the number of balls for a walk or K was constantly changing, foul balls weren't strikes, the pitchers threw underhand for a while, etc.

I'm not ok with ignoring all the pre 1947 stats. There is just way too much good comparative information there. It isn't perfect because the competition was flawed, but it's too much to just ignore.

...that, plus of course, I'm a racist jackass.

#22 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Modern stolen base rules were put in place in 1898, so all accumulated before that are based on a different set of rules.  Players used to be credited for steals for advancing more than one base on a teammate's hit.  Going from first to third on a single, or scoring from first on a double were both considered steals. 

#23 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

Thanks, Spriggs, that made me laugh.

I didn't know that Jeff.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#24 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Modern stolen base rules were put in place in 1898, so all accumulated before that are based on a different set of rules.  Players used to be credited for steals for advancing more than one base on a teammate's hit.  Going from first to third on a single, or scoring from first on a double were both considered steals. 

Plus before the turn of the century, the catcher stood way back behind the hitter (no mask or other gear).  And there were no Molinas.

#25 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Plus before the turn of the century, the catcher stood way back behind the hitter (no mask or other gear).  And there were no Molinas.

I'm sure they had their share of douchebags.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).