TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Never done it before, but I've been keen on trying for some time.  I looked forward to having it on my eggs next week.

So I spend about an hour washing, chopping, blending, and salting two pounds of peppers, get them in their respective jars, and put them on the counter, sealed, for a 12-24 hour fermenting period before the vinegar is added.  Cool.

I clean up the mess I had made in the kitchen, and finally read the last paragraph of the recipe:  "Fill the jars with the vinegar.  Seal tightly, and age for 6 - 12 months."

Oh.

#2 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Never done it before, but I've been keen on trying for some time.  I looked forward to having it on my eggs next week.

So I spend about an hour washing, chopping, blending, and salting two pounds of peppers, get them in their respective jars, and put them on the counter, sealed, for a 12-24 hour fermenting period before the vinegar is added.  Cool.

I clean up the mess I had made in the kitchen, and finally read the last paragraph of the recipe:  "Fill the jars with the vinegar.  Seal tightly, and age for 6 - 12 months."

Oh.

I'd have to see the recipe to say for sure, but you most likely don't need to wait nearly so long, especially if you simmered the sauce. You'll get most of your flavor melding within 24–48 hours if you simmered, and six to twelve months of aging will just eviscerate it heatwise.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hot sauce is one of the things I'd like to start making myself one of these days.  There is a lot of room for customization in those recipes.

#4 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hot sauce is one of the things I'd like to start making myself one of these days.  There is a lot of room for customization in those recipes.

Endless... experimentation, too, for that matter.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Endless... experimentation, too, for that matter.
That's why I like to make chili- so many ways to create it. I don't think I've ever made it the same way twice, I really should record some recipes because I've made some amazing batches but never right down what I used.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'd have to see the recipe to say for sure, but you most likely don't need to wait nearly so long, especially if you simmered the sauce. You'll get most of your flavor melding within 24–48 hours if you simmered, and six to twelve months of aging will just eviscerate it heatwise.

As I do when I try a new recipe, I'll often combine a few to achieve what, I think, I'm looking for.  

In the recipes that I've aggregated, only one calls for simmering, and that only involves the vinegar and spices, not the peppers.  Apparently I've selected the "slow"/no-cook methods.  (Though I am roasting garlic this morning for inclusion in one of the batches.)

I suppose I'll let these mature for a few months and then bottle them up.  Screw the 12 month aging process.  In fact, I I time it right, I might be able to eke out a handful of super-cheap Christmas presents out of these....

#7 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Twitter:@miggy8035
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'd like to think that I'm pretty decent in the kitchen. If you only knew how many chicks pants I got into with my Grandma's "Pork steak mushroom gravy sauce". Yet in the areas discussed here, Chili and Hot Sauce, those are probably my quickest recipes. 

Hot Sause- 32oz of tomato sause, 4 jalapeno's boil remove seeds, Garlic and salt to taste. Mix in blender

Chilli- 1 lb. ground beef 85%, 16 oz chilli beans, 16 oz stewed tomatos, 16 oz of Budweiser, 1 pk of Frenches Chilli-O mix with onions

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#8 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

I'd like to think that I'm pretty decent in the kitchen. If you only knew how many chicks pants I got into with my Grandma's "Pork steak mushroom gravy sause". Yet in the areas discussed here, Chilli and Hot Sause, those are probably my quickest recipes. 

Hot Sause- 32oz of tomato sause, 4 jalapeno's boil remove seeds, Garlic and salt to taste. Mix in blender

Chilli- 1 lb. ground beef 85%, 16 oz chilli beans, 16 oz stewed tomatos, 16 oz of Budweiser, 1 pk of Frenches Chilli-O mix with onions

Good stuff, how long do you have to wait?

#9 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Good stuff, how long do you have to wait?

I usually make hot sauce when I make re-fried beans and Pork, so I make hot sauce that day and don't jar it or wait. It's ready to eat right away. 

You better Dance, you better live, you better love with a sweet romance. While you still have the chance, I think you better Dance.

#10 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

If you only knew how many chicks pants I got into with my Grandma's Pork steak

You used your Grandma's dildo? Or, was she your "Grandma"? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#11 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

If you only knew how many chicks pants I got into with my Grandma's Pork steak

You used your Grandma's dildo? Or, was she your "Grandma"? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's my Grandma's recipe that I used to make dinner for the ladies. Then they wanted to bang because dinner was so good. 

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

So this is the mid-process product:

4inw.jpg

There's about a pound of peppers in each jar.  The left one is ~50/50 green and red peppers, the other is all red.  There's green (and a few red) padrón, a bunch of bird's-eye, some chile de árbol, some green and red jalapeños, and a few other random peppers, too.  Some came from my garden, a bunch came from my buddy who grows them at the estate garden he manages.  The green/red blend seems a bit less spicy at this point, and has a bit of brown sugar in it (and more vinegar); the red one is only chilies, salt, and vinegar.  The red/green goes in the fridge for at least a few weeks to blend its flavors.  The red one actually is supposed to sit on the counter for a week or so (and tasted daily) before it, too, goes in the fridge for a while.

Now I wait.

#13 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Come to think of it, in my greenhouse I'll be harvesting a couple of pounds of thai chiles in another few weeks.  Maybe I'll try my hand at some chili oil.

#14 miggy80

miggy80

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Come to think of it, in my greenhouse I'll be harvesting a couple of pounds of thai chiles in another few weeks.  Maybe I'll try my hand at some chili oil.

T-Dubb, I'm sure that you're pretty handy working with peppers, so you may already know this, but if you happen to get the oil on a sensitive part of your body, or the pepper burn on your skin, rub some cooking oil on it. I had to figure this out the hard way when I took a wiz after making my hot sauce. I went flying into the shower taring off my clothes when my girlfriend asked what was wrong. I told her, she asked what she can do? I told her to google it! 

#15 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

T-Dubb, I'm sure that you're pretty handy working with peppers, so you may already know this, but if you happen to get the oil on a sensitive part of your body, or the pepper burn on your skin, rub some cooking oil on it. I had to figure this out the hard way when I took a wiz after making my hot sauce. I went flying into the shower taring off my clothes when my girlfriend asked what was wrong. I told her, she asked what she can do? I told her to google it! 

On Saturday night when I was making the sauce, I was nearly certain that I was going to rub my eyes.  Fortunately I didn't, but only because I made my son sit there while I was chopping to make sure my hands never got anywhere near my face.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).