Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Girardi or Scioscia?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you rather have managing the Cubs? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you rather have?

1. Joe Girardi (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Mike Scioscia (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Other (say below) (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this guy before. Who is the one ex-catcher that we always turn to when we need an extra hand? The one who never tells us no? The one we can rely on to be here for the short turn to fill in a spot of need? Koyie Hill of course. He is is the obvious answer in this time of need.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#17 preacherman86

preacherman86

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Facebook:Josh Ruiter

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Kygavin....a little cleveland hard on for ya?

I am gonna say no to both Scioscia hard an fast...He is old school and just old I feel like. He has really lost touch the last 3-4 years and I don't think a young, unproven club is the right setting to revive his desire.

Girardi I say yes to if available...but it is sort of looking like that won't happen.

Here is my thoughts on manager options, and there are two trains of thought  - a proven guy or an up and comer. so I will list both sets quickly.

Provens:

1. Bob Melvin

2. Bud Black

3. A.J. Hinch

4. Girardi - only b/c he fits the bill - even though listed earlier

...outside of these 4 though I am not interested in guys with experience that are available.

Up and comers:

1. Jose Oquendo

2. Jim Hickey

3. Dave Martinez

4. Sandy Alomar Jr.

5. Greg Maddux

This is the list I would very much like to choose from in all honesty!! Great set of minds and baseball rapport.

Then I would look to one of these guys as a the bench coach if possible.

1. Brad Ausmus

2. Omar Vizquel

3. Pudge Rodriguez

Pitching coach I would look at the following list (if possible)

(if we get Hickey, I would let him hand pick his guy, he is that damn good)

1. Bosio - done well with our guys so far and deserves a continued look

2. GREG MADDUX - I think this is one of the best baseball minds out there and could be a great pitching coach

3. Kerry Wood - fan vote from me:)

In all honesty, I would bring in some intelligent baseball minds with experience if I were Jedstein...have the front office run the SABR stuff, and let the manager relate and feel out the game... the best way to play is have both in my mind. Dale was a bit too much driven by splits/stats/shifts and it almost was aggravating at times...though I appreciate the approach.

THOUGHTS?

#18 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

Of the two in the opening post I'd go with Girardi, but I am hoping for "other"--No offense to Tito, yes, the best manager I have ever seen, but I am also hoping for brand new to ML manager type.

He will probably both part of the old boy school, even by generations, like Tito; but will also be able to use the modern metrics adroitly, like Tito.

He need not come from within the Cubs organization, but he probably will be someone Jed and/or Theo have worked with before.

lsd50u-b78856417z.120110930181553000g981

Gary DiSarcina is one name that comes to mind here in Massachusetts.

#19 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Dale was a bit too much driven by splits/stats/shifts and it almost was aggravating at times...though I appreciate the approach.

THOUGHTS?

You're going to have to get used to the "driven by..." line.  It's how baseball will be operated going on forever and ever and ever until they find another way to extract every bit of potential from teams.

#20 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Dale was a bit too much driven by splits/stats/shifts and it almost was aggravating at times...though I appreciate the approach.

THOUGHTS?

You're going to have to get used to the "driven by..." line.  It's how baseball will be operated going on forever and ever and ever until they find another way to extract every bit of potential from teams.

I don't know specifically what "driven by" means to Preacherman, nor do I think it describes Dale or his undoing; but to me a field manager is too "driven by" stats when he can't balance them with the myriad other bits of data he collects from his players. 

Some of that is baseball-ish data. He knows who has spent some time working on new mechanics, who has spent extra time looking at film, who needs to be stretched out, who needs a blow, etc. That stuff is going to trump what sally-server and her proprietary projections are telling him is optimum--sometimes.

Also, a beyond-the-stats manager deals with individuals and their interactions as they suffer the temptations and stupidity of life of the young and newly rich on the road. His slugger may be slugging his wife at home, his shortstop may be sleeping with the catcher's wife, and his starting pitcher may be showing up still brewing off of last nights wind-down. Good field managers guide guys into maximizing their baseball potential in sea of human, unmeasured, un-measurable stuff.

A manager too driven by stats might not even know that that is part of his job description. A great manager maximizes the baseball each man can manufacture in spite of that stuff; 'Cause stuff like that is going to happen.

#21 preacherman86

preacherman86

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Facebook:Josh Ruiter

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

FFP, i mean specifically things like bogusevic, sweeney and schierholtz day after day in august/september instead of giving Lake consistent looks. Nobody needs to see those three or McDonald for that matter, for purposes of evaluating future talent and Lake's projectability he ought to have been playing every day. Same thing, IMO, with the bullpen. Throwing Russell, Greg, Strop and Parker every day it seemed like....throw everybody, get a look at the future arms. See what you have. In fact shifts and #'s is what led to both sharks and EJax arguments with coaches at the end of the year. At some point, numbers are numbers and there has to be a gut feel....Sveum didn't appear to have both. Great numbers guy, poor gut feel guy.

#22 Todd

Todd

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationWhale's vagina

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

I voted for Girardi. I'd prefer "other" over Scioscia because he just appears to be worn whenever I see him interview, and lately it would seem his teams have underperformed pretty badly.

I like Girardi because he appears to be a smart, disciplined, logical guy. He's been through enough high pressure situations that I believe he could be a very nice steadying force as the team starts adding a few pieces to the developing core, and the weight of expectations are felt. Plus he was a Cub and I had his "starting lineup" action figure, so that's cool to me.

#23 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

Kygavin....a little cleveland hard on for ya?

I am gonna say no to both Scioscia hard an fast...He is old school and just old I feel like. He has really lost touch the last 3-4 years and I don't think a young, unproven club is the right setting to revive his desire.

Girardi I say yes to if available...but it is sort of looking like that won't happen.

Here is my thoughts on manager options, and there are two trains of thought  - a proven guy or an up and comer. so I will list both sets quickly.

Provens:

1. Bob Melvin

2. Bud Black

3. A.J. Hinch

4. Girardi - only b/c he fits the bill - even though listed earlier

...outside of these 4 though I am not interested in guys with experience that are available.

Up and comers:

1. Jose Oquendo

2. Jim Hickey

3. Dave Martinez

4. Sandy Alomar Jr.

5. Greg Maddux

This is the list I would very much like to choose from in all honesty!! Great set of minds and baseball rapport.

Then I would look to one of these guys as a the bench coach if possible.

1. Brad Ausmus

2. Omar Vizquel

3. Pudge Rodriguez

Pitching coach I would look at the following list (if possible)

(if we get Hickey, I would let him hand pick his guy, he is that damn good)

1. Bosio - done well with our guys so far and deserves a continued look

2. GREG MADDUX - I think this is one of the best baseball minds out there and could be a great pitching coach

3. Kerry Wood - fan vote from me:)

In all honesty, I would bring in some intelligent baseball minds with experience if I were Jedstein...have the front office run the SABR stuff, and let the manager relate and feel out the game... the best way to play is have both in my mind. Dale was a bit too much driven by splits/stats/shifts and it almost was aggravating at times...though I appreciate the approach.

THOUGHTS?

They are obviously doing something right and have developed some really good young players (Santana, Kipnis, Brantley, Masterson). I think Tito should be the first choice on any list but I doubt he leaves Cleveland, If not why not take his bench coach? 

Im not a huge Girardi fan. Yes he was killed by injuries this year but how much work do you really have to do when you have all-stars at every position? 

#24 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if both took a year or two off

#25 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Brett's post today shows Acta and Alomar as 2 candidates so I must not be the only one who thinks they would be solid options (and for a team with not a lot of money to spend like they claim, they would be cheaper too)

#26 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

A  NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS

http://www.cbssports...as-reds-manager lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).