Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

What I would like to see this offseason.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CubbieBoiler

CubbieBoiler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:TheTony_Scott

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

1. Don't sign Joe Girardi

I know the hype on him is huge, but in reality its important to look at what he was given as a manager. He was average with the Marlins, but then he was given some of the best players in the league with the Yankees. It would be pathetic if he didn't win a World Series in his tenure there.

2. Sign Mike Maddux as manager.

Low risk high reward Cubs need a guy who specializes in player development especially on the pitching side. I like Maddux to take the helm.

3. Sign a low risk high reward guy that can play 1B/3B (ex. Mark Reynolds)

I know Reynolds strikes out a lot but he can man both first and third and be a great power threat off the bench. I think we could get him at 2/6.5

4. Sign Johnny Peralta to a one year deal.

Coming off the scandal we should be able to have him cheap to play third allowing Valbuena to move over to second to platoon with Barney. He would be a temporary fix until Baez/Bryant/Olt is ready (I think Bryant will be first). I think we could get 1/5

5. Sign Nelson Cruz to a two year deal.

Another one in the scandal we need a power threat to make up for the loss of Soriano. He would also be a temporary fit until the emergence of Almora/Soler. If they are ready by 2015 we flip him for a couple nice prospects. 2/15

6. Sign Dan Haren to a minor league deal.

Low risk high reward give him a million and move on.

7. Sign Eric O'Flaherty

Would be a good middle reliever in the bullpen. 1/2.5

Final outlook would look like:

1. Junior Lake CF

2. Johnny Peralta SS

3. Anthony Rizzo 1B

4. Nelson Cruz RF

5. Nate Schierholtz LF

6. Starlin Castro SS

7. Wellington Castillo C

8. Valbuena/Barney 2B

BN. Mark Reynolds

BN. Logan Watkins

BN. Dioner Navarro

BN. Logan Watkins

P Jeff Samardzija

P Travis Wood

P Edwin Jackson

P Jake Arietta

P Chris Rusin

LR Carlos Villanueva

RP Eric O'Flaherty

RP Daniel Bard

RP Hector Rondon

SU James Russell

SU Pedro Strop

CL Blake Parker

Lmk your thoughts. I think this should get us going til the future is ready in 2015.

#2 TheRiot2

TheRiot2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPine City,Mn.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

I like the idea of Peralta as a free agent sign. He fits at 3B/SS on a relatively low contract on a 1yr. plus/option buyout. Olt eye issues  make him a long shot at 3B. Peralta would give us a legitimate SS for backup to Starlin, "I'm In A Daze" Castro when he needs to sit.

O'Flaherty would be of interest, but likely a resign in Atlanta, or a free agent contract elsewhere,a bit too pricey for the Cubs. He would be nice as the 2nd. lefty out of the bullpen however.

Navarro would need to be paid like a regular and played as a platoon catcher.Too bad, we got amazing production from him and he likely has a big drop off in 2014.

Reynolds a BIG no too. 

#3 udbrky

udbrky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:udbrky

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think if Gamel is healthy, he can be a corner infield option rather than Reynolds.

#4 JungleDrew

JungleDrew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

Instead of Mark Reynolds I think bringing Casey Mcgehee would be a good one to bring back. He's been a monster over in Japan this season... but I think Gamel is the low risk/medium upside guy for next year.

But I definitely agree with Maddux.  He has played a major part in why the Rangers youth have performed the last couple years, and I think he needs to be in Chicago (I hear his brother might know how to pitch as well).

I personally would hope the cubs would keep clear of the Biogenesis scandal players... I know they would probably come cheap, but if the Cubs become competitive next year, and make it to the playoffs because of career years by Peralta and Cruz it seems like there would always be a taint on the season.

#5 CubbieBoiler

CubbieBoiler

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:TheTony_Scott

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

I forgot about Gamel strike the Reynolds deal. 

#6 HurricaneDij39

HurricaneDij39

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Twitter:@HurricaneDij39
  • LocationChesterton, IN

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

Word is that the Tigers could have some trouble paying Scherzer.  While he may not be available to the Cubs, if we could get Peralta to play 3rd and Infante to play 2nd on one-year deals as placeholders until Baez and/or Olt are ready, that'd be great. 

#7 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

I know a few of you will not like hearing what I think will happen in the offseason but here it is:  The Cubs will have around 30 million to spend this off season, I think the Cubs will go hard after Tanaka and offer a 65 million posting fee.  I believe this strong offer will be enough and the Cubs will land him, they will then sign him to a 6 yr 55 million deal.  This is good news but the problem is this will be about it for the Cubs.  I believe they will sign Chris Young to a 2 yr 8 mil deal, sign Franklin Gutierrez or Rajai Davis, they will sign a bounce back type pitcher like Josh Johnson or Roberto Hernandez, and bring in a backup catcher probably someone with some power and can take a walk i'd guess John Buck.  They might get a deal done with Shark but I think in the end he is wanting too much money and will shopped in the offseason and dealt at the trade deadline.

start of the year:

Castro

Sweeney/Lake

Rizzo

Schierholtz/Young

Young/Guiterrez

Castillo/Buck

Valbuena/Gamel

Barney

I believe Olt, Villanueva, Szczur,Jackson, Vizcaino, Alcantara and Baez will all get the chance to play up to a level to get a call up in 2014.  The Cubs will have needs at 2nd, 3rd, and the outfield. Where and when they make it is up to how they play in the minors.

Pitching: Tanaka, Shark, Wood, Jackson, Johnson or Hernandez, and Arrieta (I listed 6 b/c of injuries or trade)

#8 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

We just don't have that kind of money to spend this year. It's closer to $20M.

#9 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Its actually not that much money if you think about it.  Also I would not be surprised if Shark is moved this offseason instead of the trade deadline, if they get a deal that makes them happy and if they really like Tanaka.  Now that I read my comment I would probably take the Davis or Guiterrez signing off and they could just bring Bougesvic back. The posting fee will come out of future years payrolls or International funds that the Cubs won't be using b/c of them forfeiting $ b/c of this years signings.  I really think the Cubs need to walk out of this years offseason with 1 player that they consider part of the "Future Core."  2015 starting rotation: Tanaka, Bailey or Scherzer, Wood, Jackson, and Johnson/Arrieta/Vizcaino (even though I believe he his future is a really good relief pitcher)/Neil Ramirez.  

#10 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

We're bringing back Bogusevic; he's under control and hit .278/.343/.526 in the second half (with a sustainable .318 BABIP) and 3rd in WAR on the team in 108 plate appearances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).