Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

If that title sounds like the title of a bad sitcom, or a 1960's folk group...I achieved my goal. 

One reason I was very happy that the Cubs fired Dale Svuem...it added a bit more validity to my book.  If you haven't read Beyond Bartman, Curses and Goats:104 Reasons Why It's Been 104 Reasons yet (why wouldn't you have?), Reason 94 deals with the Cubs total instability at manager.  My research(prior to Svuem) showed that the Cubs changed managers every 2.08 years since their last title...and ironically(or not) Dale Svuem's tenure will actually bring that average down a tic.

actually, if you haven't bought my book yet...wait...because un updated edition will be coming out soon...complete with Reason 105, semi-famous endorsements, and less typos...it will make a perfect gift for the 3,000 Cubs' fans in your life, or re-gift your copy of 104 and keep the new one!....enough shameless self promotion....

A BN poster the other day made this comment regarding the Cubs' pursuit of Girardi; "Let's hope the Cubs finally get their man for a change".

Ahhhh...actually in recent history, the Cubs have gotten their man...a lot!...the aforementioned Messrs Baker and Piniella were the top candidates available at the time of their respective hires...even Dale Svuem was considered to be other team's top choice. Baker, Piniella and Svuem....may not have turned out to be the "right guy"...but if the Cubs do get Joe Girardi( with my luck he has agreed to return to the Yanks as I type this)...they need to stick to giving him 5 years to do the job....no matter what.

I mentioned earlier that the Cubs have averaged a new manager every 2.08 year since 1908...any guesses on some successful franchises?

The Dodgers change managers every 5.6 years

The Giants change managers every 4.7 years.

The Pirates change managers every 4.0 years ( yes I realize they have had little recent success, but much success in 50's 60's and 70's)

The Cardinals change managers every 3.8 years.

Did I mention that the Dodgers, Giants and Cardinals have represented the NL in the World Series the most since 1908?  The Cubs 2.08 years between changes is far and away the worst of all the NL teams that were researched.  The only team that comes close is the Marlins at 2.4.  So if it's going to be Joe, history and data suggest that he needs some time to get the job done.  If not Joe( yuck! right now as far as I am concerned regarding the other candidates) then let's hope it's someone who has the skills to last more than 2.08 years. 

If not...I will have Reasons 106, 107, 108...all ready to go.

@BBCG104Reasons

#2 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Well....apparently Joe was signing the contract as I was writing.

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

How does the college of coaches factor into that average?

#4 jkppkj

jkppkj

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'd argue the converse of what you're saying here.

I think it's more likely that having success results in managers keeping their jobs longer; as opposed to longer tenures resulting in more success as you are implying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).