5 replies to this topic

#1 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

We went to Mesa today to watch the Solar Sox.  Cubs were leading 10-0 in the fourth inning and we had to leave.  There was a dust storm blowing up and I cannot risk any respiratory problems.  In the meantime we saw a good bit.

Albert Almora started in CF and was 3-3 with a nice line drive home run on the first pitch.  He then lined a double to right field on a perfect hit and run.  He led off and looked really good.

Bryant followed Almora in the first inning with an opposite field home run with two on.  He had another hit and a walk.  He let a ground ball go through his wicket for an error, and as tall as he is, that is a big wicket.  At the same time he also handled a couple chances flawlessly and showed a very strong throwing arm.

Soler had one hit, a solid, bases clearing double in the 4th inning.  He was the DH for the game and scared me when he fouled a ball off the top of his foot and went down.

I found myself wondering what we would have if Baez was also in the mix, they all look like legitimate prospects.  I think that Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson have some real competition.  While it was a short sample, the play of the aforementioned prospects certainly is impressive. 

We are hoping to catch one more game before we head back home.

Best regards,

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the update, 5412.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

I agree, 5412, that foul ball off Soler's foot/shin was really scary.  I thought for sure he was down for good.  Also I noticed that Almora in his last at bat kept shaking his hand after he swung missed akwardly.  Same hand with the bone removed as I recall (his right hand).  That didn't look good either, but I hope he's OK.  He was great in the field and at the plate (made a fantastic diving catch coming in on the run - full speed - timed perfectly - great jump.

All in all the game was incredible.  The wind was blowing out pretty hard, but that high opposite field (deep right center) home run by Bryant was very impressive.  That was just raw power.  430 feet maybe, and sky high. Soler's bases clearing doubled was ripped.  Had he gotten under it a tad more, it might still be in the air.  One thing about Soler - he is a bit heavier in the midsection/butt since I saw him this spring.  He looks a little out of sync right now and definitely not running like he was. 

Bryant, showed a pretty good arm at 3rd, but also showed why some people think he won't stick there.  He has a tough time getting down (and staying down - and getting back up quick) on ground balls. An easy grounder went through his legs when he pulled up way too soon. Ouch.

Wes Darvill.  Huh.  I mentioned this spring how he did look a little stronger and was actually making some hard contact. Was never really very high on him, but he smoked one yesterday, it was pretty cool to watch. He was pretty happy.

Sidenote... the Cubs FO was at the game (so was Darnell McDonald - I guess getting the i's dotted on his paperwork?).  After the game I said to Jed Hoyer "No Girardi, huh?" and he said:  "Nah, we knew it was never gunna happen. Gave it a shot."

Also, confused on Almora's status - Taxi or not?  Haven't seen anything official.  So far, he's only played on Wednesday... Will find out tonight.

#4 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

moved this to a new topic... AFL Recap.  This is not the Instructional League.

#5 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Will you be going to any instructs games Spriggs? 

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

Only been to 1 game and a couple workouts so far. Planned to go today, but work emergency :( Plan to go tomorrow. The schedule I have is not accurate and that's killing me too (along with work), but I have a new one that I hope is better. Mostly - due to work - I have to choose between the AFL and Instructs - and my nephew's HS football games (outstanding QB on his way to CAL). This might be a historic AFL romp this year, so I've been opting for that every chance I get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).